AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Weekly Nostalgia: Knockout (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2687312)

Jason Tate 03/30/12 12:01 PM

Weekly Nostalgia: Knockout

Does anyone else remember the pop-punk band Knockout? I was just scrolling through my iTunes haphazardly and found this album, Searching for Solid Ground. We haven't done a weekly nostalgia post in a while -- and it reminded of of when the Chicago scene was blowing up -- bands were getting signed left and right. I decided to push play on it for fun, and it actually holds up decently for a pop-punk album. As I sat here giving the album a listen, I can't help but think that it comes right out of that era of pop-punk. Has that complete The Starting Line, Fall Out Boy, Rufio vibe going on. Looking for something fun to listen to today? Give it a shot on Rdio or Spotify. If you were a fan back when they were making music -- we'd love to hear from you as you break out the tunes and discuss the band in the replies.

Fun fact: You can hear the lead singer, Jeff Warren, if you listen carefully, contributing back-up vocals on Fall Out Boy's "Grenade Jumper."

birdman 03/30/12 12:02 PM

How big is your iTunes library? Just curious.

Jason Tate 03/30/12 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdman (Post 105574592)
How big is your iTunes library? Just curious.

I recently purged a bunch of stuff I don't listen to anymore, at all -- and my main listening program is now Rdio, so I haven't built on my MP3 collection as much.

16532 songs, 89.95 GB.

GoodTimes 03/30/12 12:04 PM

They always sounded a bit too generic to me.

birdman 03/30/12 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate (Post 105574742)
I recently purged a bunch of stuff I don't listen to anymore, at all -- and my main listening program is now Rdio, so I haven't built on my MP3 collection as much.

16532 songs, 89.95 GB.

That's roughly mine, but there is so much that I don't listen to anymore. I just keep it on there because I know the minute I delete it I will want to listen to it.

Haven't checkout out Rdio, i'll give it a whirl.

inevitable 03/30/12 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate (Post 105574742)

16532 songs, 89.95 GB.

What's so great about Rdio? I haven't tried it out, and primarily use Spotify.

Jason Tate 03/30/12 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inevitable (Post 105575002)
What's so great about Rdio? I haven't tried it out, and primarily use Spotify.

I think it's a better user experience, in my opinion.

Jason Tate 03/30/12 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdman (Post 105574922)
That's roughly mine, but there is so much that I don't listen to anymore. I just keep it on there because I know the minute I delete it I will want to listen to it.

Haven't checkout out Rdio, i'll give it a whirl.

I thought that - until I went through and realized so much shit I don't listen to -- at all. And it was cringeworthy to even hear. And it was time for those to go.

inevitable 03/30/12 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate (Post 105575072)
I think it's a better user experience, in my opinion.

Is it the same concept as spotify? Library full of music that you can put in playlists, and then they pay (I use that word loosely when describing how spotify compensates an artist or band) royalties?

llwilliamsll 03/30/12 12:18 PM

My introduction to the local Knights of Columbus. Many a good times.

Jason Tate 03/30/12 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inevitable (Post 105575312)
Is it the same concept as spotify? Library full of music that you can put in playlists, and then they pay (I use that word loosely when describing how spotify compensates an artist or band) royalties?

Yeah. Pretty much.

irthetyler 03/30/12 12:22 PM

Still listen to Knockout all the time. Band ruled.

InaGreendase 03/30/12 12:23 PM

I enjoyed this album back in the day, but I tried breaking it out a year or two ago and just could not get through it. Has not aged well.