AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Thursday Discussion: Three Musical Moments That Changed My Life (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2715442)

Jason Tate 04/19/12 04:47 PM

Thursday Discussion: Three Musical Moments That Changed My Life

Yesterday was a fun little walk down memory lane when we posted up some playlists and thoughts on the state of pop-punk in the music scene. I had a great time reading through all the comments, re-visiting a lot of the albums from my youth, and checking out some of the nu-pop-punk bands that are out there today. While I was getting lost in that thread, I started thinking about how much music can impact, change, and mean to all of us. It's one of those things that sometimes gets lost in the drama and gets overlooked in the "right now" culture of the music industry. This thought has been percolating all night -- and while reading over Adam's post earlier this morning, the lead quote once again caught my attention. So, with today's "Thursday Discussion" -- I'm in the mood to really explore those albums and moments in music that flat out move you.

Those moments that make you realize why you love music.

Those moments that with forever stay with you.

While we have a lot of fun searching out new bands ... I think it's because we're really looking for that "fix," we're chasing that aural dragon clamoring for the next rush. I've got more vivid memories of those times where a song grabbed me by the throat than most anything else in my life. That's why I'm here writing, why you're here reading, and why we both reach for the play button when life acts like ... well ... life. It's that communal search for moments and the transcendent nature of music that brings us both here -- and with that in mind, I want to share the top 3 moments where music has completely floored me. As always, I'd love to hear your stories as well. Anything from a particular lyric, an album that changed your life, or even a live show that was something of a religious experience ... at the core: why do you listen?

I'm going to go Rob Gordon and attempt a chronological journey ... let's see how this works out. I went with only three, because, well, they're long. And I tried to pick the big ones, spread out at relatively similar intervals, as all the little stories could fill novels.

Middle school was rough for me. I'm sure the story's not much different for most people. It's a time where everyone is trying to fit in and where any misstep during the day can lead to you being ostracized and mocked mercilessly by everyone else trying to avoid that same fate. Basically: fuck middle school. I enjoyed music in that "if it's there I'll listen" kind of way. My dad would play the classics on the turntable at home, and I listened to the radio, mimicked Michael Jackson and Elvis alone in my bedroom -- and really didn't give it much thought. I was just old enough to be stupid enough to think I understood love. At a time where most of my friends were listening to Metallica and Pantera, basically one girl in the entire school wanted to talk to me (until she didn't), and life at home wasn't particularly a picnic ... a friend left his CD case over at my house. I was just bored enough that night to pirate his music collection -- by that I mean do what we did in the early 90s: open up this zipper pouch abomination and look for a plastic disc that was probably scratched to shit. I listened to his Everclear albums. I listened to his Metallica collection. And for some reason, I decided to see what this this band with giant bull-nuts on their album cover was all about. That changed everything. It's the first time I remember thinking that there was someone else out there ... that got it. That I wasn't the only awkward moron that got dumped, got picked on, enjoyed dick jokes, and, fuck, liked Star Wars. And the way the music came out ... so completely unlike what I'd heard before. So completely unlike what my friends were listening to. So completely unlike what my parents were listening to.

Within a few short years, Blink-182 would arguably be the biggest band in the world and every guy I knew wanted to be Mark or Tom. While some lamented their favorite band getting huge ... I finally felt like I fit in - somewhere. I finally felt like I could relate to a group of people ... and that feeling of musical community is one I've quite literally tried to recreate.

Listen: Blink-182 - Dude Ranch

I went to southern California for college to search for basically the opposite of rainy Oregon. I wanted the beaches and I wanted out of my town. I wanted a different lifestyle. My favorite bands were coming from Cali ... and in one of those weird twists of fate: my randomly assigned freshman roommate came from Poway. You know, where Blink's from. He's remained my best friend to this day. College is a completely different lifestyle. I wanted freedom? Fuck, I got freedom. I wanted sun? I got sun. But with all of that comes a completely new level of responsibility as well. The truth is you can move all over the country hoping that a change in scenery will bring a change in life ... but if all you're changing are the colors outside your window, you're never going to see the changes you're really hoping for. You're trying to find yourself in a world that does not give a fuck about your individual journey. 9/11 happens. Over night, the world virtually changes -- but, with time, you find that it does start spinning again. You find that that shit you were insecure about before you left home? Still there. The scars? Still calloused. The search for comfort within the songs? Still a nightly obsession.

Music became my drug. Lyrics my sedative, guitar riffs my Prozac, bass lines were pumping through my veins at such rates that I thought, at times, they were all that were keeping my heart beating. No wonder I came up with the tagline for this website one night sitting in bed, yeah?

I'm willing to bet most people know where this is heading right now ... right? Sophomore year of college. Summer of 2003. A spaceman hovering above a dismal sea. I'd argue in a move that shifted the music scene, forever, Brand New released Deja Entendu. I remember hearing the album for the first time and having a feeling that I'd just heard a generational album. I'm pretty sure I posted, on some old ass version of this website, a blog post along the lines of "every generation needs a voice -- this is ours." I (probably rightfully) took a lot of shit for that in those days -- but the way that album hit me felt so unique, so personal, and yet I've heard it repeated so many times by people I talk to on a daily basis. In bedrooms, dormrooms, and basements across the world ... we got rewired. At a time where I thought just changing zip codes would change my life -- I found someone singing everything I wish I could say. At a time where I felt like the world was spinning wildly out of control -- I found comfort in slipping on headphones and pushing play. That made sense to me. That made everything seem like it could be ok.

Listen: Brand New - Deja Entendu

Toward the end of 2007 I ended a relationship that, at the time, I thought was "the one." Now, I was living alone, back in Oregon, and having one of those moments that always predates some kind of breakthrough (or breakdown). One of those moments where - when you're in it - you feel like the whole world is sitting on your back. I was running AP.net full-time - as a career - and I was doing so with a perpetual chip on my shoulder from all the people that told me I'd fail. I was probably blogging all kinds of emo shit about no longer believing in love and was stressed out, daily, with how the webservers couldn't handle any increases in traffic we saw. Wound tight? You bet. However, between the August of 2007 and the next ... one of the users on the website (RyanFTW if memory serves) told me I needed to check out this band. I get a lot of recommendations on a daily basis and honestly I do my best to listen to as many of them as I can. I can't remember the exact reasoning that led to me deciding to check out this particular album late one night ... but I remember ceasing to give a fuck about anything else going on in my life about 10 seconds into the first song.

In another taste shifting moment ... The '59 Sound made me re-think virtually everything I thought I knew. The vocals, lyrics, musicianship ... fuck me ... I didn't know what I was getting into. I was welling up through, "Here's Looking At You Kid," and by the end of the album it felt like a weight was lifted. I spent that night walking down the middle of the street and hitting repeat. This moment crystallizes for me because I remember this being where I realized I had a lot of things I needed to put in the past. I had a lot of things I needed to let go of ... and that if I was ever going to have a shot at reaching my goals, it was time to start now. That if I really wanted to do the things I wrote in letters to myself - that changes needed to be made. I can trace who I am through the albums I've listened to; I can see who I want to be through the songs I keep playing.

Listen: The Gaslight Anthem - The '59 Sound

bobby runs 04/19/12 04:54 PM

Listening to

Summer 2002 "My Friends Over You"

2009 Getting into hip-hop (both mainstream and underground)

Summer 2011 Suburbia, USAD

bobby runs 04/19/12 04:54 PM

Also Jason you messed up the writing with Gaslight.

Steve Alcala 04/19/12 04:55 PM

Listening to different albums that made me get through my best friends suicide. It really is a life saver for me

Thomas Nassiff 04/19/12 04:59 PM

"Music became my drug. Lyrics my sedative, guitar riffs my Prozac, bass lines were pumping through my veins at such rates that I thought, at times, they were all that was keeping my heart beating. No wonder I came up with the tagline for this website one night sitting in bed, yeah?"

Awesome paragraph.

Thomas Nassiff 04/19/12 04:59 PM

I'm tripping out that you were in college when Deja came out, I was 13.

raiisrad 04/19/12 05:04 PM

I'm not going to write out the stories right now, but it's safe to say I've had many of these moments and, considering I'm still in college, I'll have many more. My big three (so far):

Middle school (2001-ish): Less Than Jake-Pezcore: I've never stopped thanking my cousin for handing this down to me. Totally opened my eyes to a genre of music that I hadn't managed to hear of yet.

End of middle school/beginning of high school (2003/4): Senses Fail-From the Depths of Dreams/Let It Enfold You: Thus began my love affair with music from my home state. Senses Fail has been one of my favorite bands consistently ever since, and I doubt I'll ever let them go.

College (2010/11): Silverstein/We Are the In Crowd: Two bands that sound nothing alike. I'm not even listing individual cds for these two. I just forgot why music had meant so much to me for a while. They reminded me why I had loved it, why it had been my entire life all through high school. WATIC reminded me why I thought the scene back home was so great when I was growing up.

Jason Tate 04/19/12 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobby runs (Post 106644192)
Also Jason you messed up the writing with Gaslight.

Hmm? Not seeing it ... I was typing fast, probably fucked up multiple places.

pleasedontask 04/19/12 05:05 PM

In 8th grade I discovered ...Is A Real Boy after hearing "Alive With The Glory of Love" on the Scrubs finale. I was already listening to a scattered assortment of blink-182, Green Day, and other assorted bands at the time, but this record floored me and completely opened my eyes to how ambitious and different music could be. A victim of the Itunes generation, it pulled me into understanding the idea of albums instead of just collections of songs. It brought me to this website, and was a year or two later the reason I made an account, for a chat prior to the Two Tongues release I think. So through that, I think it opened me to almost everything.

Fun.'s Aim and Ignite in partnership with The Format's Dog Problems gave me a wild and unquenchable love for good pop music later the same year, after seeing Fun. talked about around on the site. And look where they're at now.

RonStoppable 04/19/12 05:07 PM

Middle school/Early High School
blink-182, Take Off Your Pants & Jacket
Mark and Tom felt like my voice in music and affected my outlook on everything in life.

Late high school
Kanye West, 808's & Heartbreak
While his Late Registration got me into hip hop, this album felt like an artist fully exposed. Right sound at the right time, for me.

Graduation and beyond
John Mayer, Continuum
Really his whole discography. As I started growing up and falling in love, he was there.

Honorable mentions for Bruce Springsteen, Eminem, the Dangerous Summer's Reach for the Sun, Jimmy Eat World, the Postal Service, Box Car Racer

randys950 04/19/12 05:07 PM

going to warped tour 2004 soley to see New Found Glory perform for half an hour was what got me into the pop-punk-rock world

and stumbling upon absolutepunk.net
and getting quoted by JT from hawthorne heights lol

jessicanne 04/19/12 05:13 PM

This is amazing! I love Thursday Discussions. There have been a few big moments of clarity fueled by music over the years, but the most recent is definitely with the release of The Wonder Years' Suburbia. I had moved to Nashville to "escape" my suburban hometown & start a new kind of life. I stayed there after I graduated college and after months of searching & working retail & losing a job to outsourcing that I had expected to become a career, I was faced with the very real prospect of moving back to the hometown I had so desperately wanted to escape. I felt like such a failure. But then I listened to this album & realized so much. That I had been pushing myself too hard to "succeed", when my true success can be found in the fact that I had taken a chance & moved South. I had made a home there while maintaining friendships I'd had since childhood. It's not about where you live or the job you have - it's about how hard you're willing to try to chase down what makes you happy & if you have the courage to surround yourself with the ones who truly know & love you. Such a simple concept. I ended up staying in Nashville but the feelings this album inspired have lingered & will stick with my for a long time to come.

I'm just scratching the surface! I could go on & on with this. One of the most life-changing albums ever, along with Take This To Your Grave & blink self-titled.

KenneyBN 04/19/12 05:14 PM

I dno if I want to share this but i guess I will anyway, Ive always wanted to vent about it.
About 6 or 7 months ago things were getting really really bad for me. I was getting to a point where I basically hated myself, things were happening and I didnt understand why I couldnt get out of my rut. I saw everyone around me, all my closest friends happier than ever but i still felt awful everyday. Nobody knew, and still nobody knows to this day how bad things were getting for me. I am a really introverted person emotionally. I hate people knowing how I feel and what I am thinking. Keeping it all in was getting baad. I started blaming myself for everything that sucked in my life, and my self confidence was at a pretty low point.
I would rather not get into the reasons why I was feeling this way, but the bottom line is it really sucked and I have never felt like that before. Brand New has been my favorite band of all time, and I think a lot of you on this site know that, so im sorry to disappoint you with another "brand new fanboy post", but whatever. Anyway, I didnt think anyone felt the way I did. I thought what I was going through was the worst possible thing ever, for anyone.
Although I wasnt doing so consciously, I found myself listening to Daisy in my room alone, more and more and more. This record is and was the perfect depiction of how I felt. It didnt heal me, and it didnt so much make me happier, but it was comforting. It was a comfort to know someone else out there felt a similar way that I did. There are so many lyrics off that record that were spinning through my head constantly at that time.
It was the first time in my entire life where I wasnt listening to something because I wanted to. I wasnt listening to that record because Brand New are my favorite band of all time. I wasnt doing it even because of how much I loved the record. I was listening to it because I needed to. I dont know exactly how to describe it, but i just needed it. There would be days at school (pretty much everyday at the time) where I would be sitting in my last class of the day thinking "I need to go home and listen to Daisy".
Not only was it an extreme comfort to know someone else felt the things I was feeling, but like I said, it was the perfect depiction. looking back on it, it is almost creepy how much i related to that record. I used it as a way to vent to myself. I have never depended on music more in my entire life, and it completely changed me. I will never listen to that record again without remembering how much it impacted me.

that was a lot longer than I though, Im not really expecting anyone to read this. It's just something I have wanted to say for a long time. I hope it made sense.

Jason Tate 04/19/12 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Nassiff (Post 106644432)

Hahaa, I'm basically an old fucker now ... time does not stop. I've tried. Doesn't work.

birdman 04/19/12 05:16 PM

I have told this story before but I will do it again...When I was 8 years old I my dad died in a drunk driving accident in which he was the drunk guy. My mom and dad did a pretty good job at keeping their problems away from me and my sister.

After that all of these problems were front and center. All of my mom's family talking about what a screw up my dad was, and I didn't understand why.

By the time I was 12 I was a pretty angry kid, I got in a lot of fights, got in trouble a lot at school, and treated my mom like shit. I listened to a lot of metal...bad metal.

Anyways, my sister was 17 and she was starting to bring guys home when my mom was gone. The nights were pretty much spent with them making fun of me. Then one night my sister had a party and told me that if I left my room she would strangle me. Between playing Spin Doctors and Tupac the music stopped and this song came on. It was unlike anything I had heard before.

I left my room so I could hear it better. There was this kid arguing with everyone else "just listen, this band is so good". Everyone disagreed, except for me.

That song was called Generator by Bad Religion. My life changed forever.

Sinking into bands like Bad Religion, NOFX, Lagwagon, and The Queers would prove to have a calming effect on me. It was therapeutic. It probably saved my life. All of the fuck up kids I hung out with in middle school ended up becoming junkies in high school, some didn't survive. I found friends in punk rock. There was a special kind of motivation with the skate punk kids, of whom I would eventually become. There was a sense of community, identity, acceptance, and brother/sisterhood in the punk scene.

I have other magical musical moments (watching my mom walk down the aisle years later to "God Only Knows" by the Beach Boys springs to mind), but Bad Religion's Generator probably takes the cake.

mshoreline49 04/19/12 05:17 PM

Playing amped snowboarding on Xbox around 2000 or 2001. When I checked what music was playing I found some bands called Thursday and taking back Sunday that changed my life.

Jason Tate 04/19/12 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pleasedontask (Post 106644772)
In 8th grade I discovered ...Is A Real Boy after hearing "Alive With The Glory of Love" on the Scrubs finale. I was already listening to a scattered assortment of blink-182, Green Day, and other assorted bands at the time, but this record floored me and completely opened my eyes to how ambitious and different music could be. A victim of the Itunes generation, it pulled me into understanding the idea of albums instead of just collections of songs. It brought me to this website, and was a year or two later the reason I made an account, for a chat prior to the Two Tongues release I think. So through that, I think it opened me to almost everything.

Fun.'s Aim and Ignite in partnership with The Format's Dog Problems gave me a wild and unquenchable love for good pop music later the same year, after seeing Fun. talked about around on the site. And look where they're at now.

This is awesome. I remember dorking out in the Scrubs thread when this happened.

Jason Tate 04/19/12 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randys950 (Post 106644872)
going to warped tour 2004 soley to see New Found Glory perform for half an hour was what got me into the pop-punk-rock world

and stumbling upon absolutepunk.net
and getting quoted by JT from hawthorne heights lol

:dance:

PermanentTourists 04/19/12 05:20 PM

Nice read.

For me: I was only four years old when the record released but I was in 5th grade when I heard it and it changed everything for me. My uncle was in a band and I idolized him and everything he did. When he had his daughter and named her Anna, he told me about his biggest musical influence and the reason his daughter had that name. Counting Crows. The song: Anna Begins. The album: August & Everything After. After a visit he bought me that album and told me to listen to it when I was ready. I laid on the floor of my room with a boombox and listened to that CD for hours and hours. First album I heard all the way through and I loved it. Not till freshmen year of high school did I really start understanding the themes of the record so it hit me hard all over again and would for years. Then yesterday after the release of the Crows new cover album, The AV Club did a very personal, blunt, crushing interview with Adam and I relistened all over again. It will forever be my most cherished album.

Other two don't really get a big story but they would probably be

Kanye West - Late Registration
The Format - Interventions and Lullabies

and honorable mention Illuminate by Lydia.

irthesteve 04/19/12 05:21 PM

My memory isn't like it used to be

derek_8 04/19/12 05:22 PM

I remember fairly vividly a relationship ending for me right around the time I discovered jimmy eat world. One of the things she had said to me during the messy break up was "I wasn't worth it". It might not seem like a big deal, I'm sure worse things have been said, however that struck a nerve with me. The "I'm gonna be so much more than this" refrain at the end of my sundown hit me at the perfect time I think.

Edit: like this feature, well written. Good read

James Johnson 04/19/12 05:24 PM

Another great one!

Personally mine would also be Dude Ranch, to this day I know every squeak and scratch in that recording, every vocal inflection and Lemmings is probably my favourite Blink song.

But since Jason was the creator of this and already used it I think I will have to say Enema Of The State.
The album itself never held my love like Dude Ranch did (yet it was still my life for a good year haha) it was the first thing I ever bought online. The first time the internet and music combined in any real sense for me. It was for my birthday and I still remember my mothers fear of buying the pre-order online using her credit card hahahahahaha.

This album was also my first 'leak' or 'advance' as the CD arrived a good 4 or 5 days before it was released in Australia. I was the coolest kid in school and only I knew it!

Against Me! - Reinventing Axl Rose

May as well have been titled Reinventing James Johnson because this band/album changed everything for me. I didn't know someone could be so passionate, so confronting and so honest on a punk rock record. They were not signing about dicks OR ex gfs being mean like I was used to.
And then the band toured Australia... I managed to catch them on their first tour here for the Axl release and with about 30-40 other people saw them destroy a small bar venue. The energy and intensity they displayed live...even in an empty room really was a turning point for me. Music was more than a hobby for these people and it felt important. I have seen them all over the world in all types of venues and lineups and they have never failed to impress me. Axl era AM! was the epitome of a live band for me, the benchmark for what punk rock means.

The Descendents

From picking up Everything Sucks on a whim as a teenager from a chain CD store to literally seeing my heroes in action (with many other favourites like NOFX, Alkaline Trio, Lagwagon etc all singing from side-stage like true fanboys) just over a year ago, The Descendents were my All (hahaha). This band and the genre they spawned has had such a big hold over my life and their impact on me will forever bebeyond measure. The fact a bunch of dorky dudes decided to sing about being a loser, food and girls resonated with me as an awkward teen just as much as it does now. Every time I get excited over some new goofy pop punk band the Descendents influence on me continues. The Descendents are the one, they've been here for me all along.

Jason Tate 04/19/12 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irthesteve (Post 106645702)
My memory isn't like it used to be

You're 24! Haha.

pleasedontask 04/19/12 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate (Post 106645382)
This is awesome. I remember dorking out in the Scrubs thread when this happened.

such a good scene too, haha. found a lot of music through that show-- josh radin, cary brothers, etc etc.

sajamie81 04/19/12 05:26 PM

http://speckzystephen.blogspot.com/2...efined-me.html

I went a little further with this topic and decided to hit up the music moments that made me want to play music, which is just one reason why I love music.

Jason Tate 04/19/12 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derek_8 (Post 106645722)
I remember fairly vividly a relationship ending for me right around the time I discovered jimmy eat world. One of the things she had said to me during the messy break up was "I wasn't worth it". It might not seem like a big deal, I'm sure worse things have been said, however that struck a nerve with me. The "I'm gonna be so much more than this" refrain at the end of my sundown hit me at the perfect time I think.

The song (My Sunday) is so good. Love that line too.

randys950 04/19/12 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mshoreline49 (Post 106645352)
Playing amped snowboarding on Xbox around 2000 or 2001. When I checked what music was playing I found some bands called Thursday and taking back Sunday that changed my life.

wasn't spitalfield in one of the amped games for xbox?

birdman 04/19/12 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derek_8 (Post 106645722)

OMG, I totally forgot how I discovered JEW. It was totally happenstance. I went to a used cd store to get an album (forgot which one), when I got home and opened the case I realized that the guy had put the wrong cd in the case. It was Static Prevails by JEW. I listened to it once and fell in love.

Jason Tate 04/19/12 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pleasedontask (Post 106645832)
such a good scene too, haha. found a lot of music through that show-- josh radin, cary brothers, etc etc.

Zach Braff-core! So good. Haha.

Alex DiVincenzo 04/19/12 05:27 PM

The Offspring - Americana was my first CD (thanks to the success of "Pretty Fly for a White Guy") and my introduction to "punk." It may have been watered down for the masses, but I was hooked. Soon after, I got into Blink 182, who are the most important band to me - especially in those formidable years.

Slipknot - Slipknot was my first taste of non-mainstream heavy music. A friend borrowed the CD from his uncle, and I listened to a couple of songs on the bus on a filed trip. I was blown away. They were my favorite band for a long time. I became a weird middle school kid.

Killswitch Engage - Alive or Just Breathing made me realize how good metal/hardcore could be. My love for the genres eventually got me my job writing here.

I'd write more, but I'm having too much fun reading other peoples' responses.

cubine 04/19/12 05:33 PM

Seeing The Bled and Saosin live at Projekt Revolution 2007. I had never heard anything like either band before. Especially for The Bled, I was scared and excited and a little shocked all at once, and they just absolutely killed it. Awesome experience.

schmalz 04/19/12 05:34 PM

Another great topic Jason.

Summer 2002.i was the sophomore kid listening To mainly mainstream rock that was on mtv2. On my way to the beach with my parents I picked up "sticks and stones" by nfg and played it constantly in my walkman and my musical mindset was changed, and it was perfect timing because I just started my first "serious" relationship. And all the pop punk greatness followed after.

That following winter is when I first heard Thursday full collapse and tbs TAYF in my friends car on our way to a show. I was floored when I heard the raw emotion and I could feel those lyrics.

My first real show I saw was yellowcard, matchbook romance, acceptance, and Maxeen. My parents let me drive a couple hours to Pittsburgh's club laga on a school night. I took a car full of my friends and went. The live music experience just put me in awe. And singing along to every lyric and jumping like nothing in life mattered except for that moment.

These moments just put music in a different perspective for me... The emotion, the feelings, etc. whether you're happy, sad, or whatever. The music is there for that moment

70x7 04/19/12 05:35 PM

Three moments stand out to me. One was seeing Brand New and Taking Back Sunday play with Rufio and Alli with an I at the Cat's Cradle in August of 2002. My first powerful live experience. Neither band had gotten too big yet. They were talked about on here and Punknews.org, but that was about it.

One moment, that actually predates that show, but is still related is the opening guitar to "You Know How I Do" on Tell All Your Friends. To this day, it gives me goosebumps.

Finally, seeing Explosions in the Sky the first time. They are just epic, and I've been lucky enough to see them play everything from a tiny dive bar to big venues. Every time is awesome

Spencer Control 04/19/12 05:35 PM

I've had a lot of those moments - I adore them - but one of the most recent ones that comes to mind was New Year morning. It was 3:00 AM, I had just finished writing a really raw journal entry. Life at that time was (still sort of is) more than a bit rough, but a few things started getting better - it was like a middle ground where I wasn't out of a bad spot yet, but where I was certain that things would start to look up. Anyway, so I'm three hours into the new year, my family is all sound asleep, and I close off my journal entry with lyrics from Waves by The Dangerous Summer: "You'll find the courage to paint a world that burns like hell." I don't know what it was, but something at that moment just totally clicked. It was then when I fell in total love with War Paint.

schmalz 04/19/12 05:37 PM

Where's anamericangod at? I'd like to see his thoughts on this

Ryan Gardner 04/19/12 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Nassiff (Post 106644432)

I was like..9 haha

RockTheWalls 04/19/12 05:39 PM

Motion City Soundtrack- Commit This To Memory
I had heard My Favourite Accident before on Burnout 3 but didnt go and pursue the band after enjoying the song. I ended up finding them through a friend's myspace and was hooked. They were my first show and my first ever band interview. They are without a doubt why I have become so heavily involved in the music scene. I can't even put into words how the band makes me feel when I see them live. The music spoke to me from a completely different level from the first time i listened to that album when I was 17

pleasedontask 04/19/12 05:40 PM

not to hijack the thread, but does anyone have any interesting recent moments like these? I know they'll be a ton of blink, jew, brand new stories posted obviously..

For me, in a smaller-level, I felt this two days ago listening to The Foercast's latest. The second verse in Clear Eyes, Full Hearts has a line along the lines of trying to find yourself in cigarettes/god knows you just can't handle it/i'm sitting passing judgement which at first caught my attention because of an argument with a friend this weekend who had started smoking. When the female vocals popped in out of nowhere a few seconds after in resonse-- well i never I said I had it figured out/half empty bottles through the evening cause I know you're always leaving. definitely made me perk up and listen.

irthesteve 04/19/12 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate (Post 106645822)
You're 24! Haha.

Lol, yeah... all I remember is the first CD my dad bought me was Seal, the first one I bought on my own was New Radicals. First concert was Sheryl Crow w/ Eagle-Eye Cherry, and I love Deja Entendu.

The details? I dunno.

Ask me about songs that are attached to past relationships, then I'll have a boatload to chat about haha

sayitlkyoumnit 04/19/12 05:41 PM

My first date with my sweetie was 8 years ago tomorrow - a show at TCNJ with The Early November, The Starting Line and Less Than Jake (does it get any better than that?). We're getting married a year from tomorrow <3

We weren't always together, but I never stopped listening to these guys. Along with Yellowcard, Blink, Brand New, Something Corporate, etc. - thanks for getting me through a lot of shit!

ffadam 04/19/12 05:43 PM

I think all the bigger bands that had an effect on most of the people on this website never really had those defining moment for me because I'd never found them myself. I had an older brother already listening to them, probably having his moments to them and he was passing them down to me so even though I love them and bands like Brand New are my favourite, its only over recent years when I've actively searched and sought music that I've felt that I've found those moments.

The Dangerous Summer's 'Reach For The Sun' - I came on this website to massive hype about this band, everyone really excited and I listened and it just wasn't there and then one day I just listened and I felt like I was listening to a completely different band. There's a way that this has hit me, that I imagine it has with a lot of other people on this website, and it felt right. I was connecting to lyrics in a way that I had only done with the bigger bands that had been passed on to me and I felt like I was in AJ's world. His particular writing made me feel at ease about my life actually. I found solace in 'Northern Lights' as a direct correlation to what was happening in my relationship life and other songs 'Settle Down' and 'Symmetry' especially as to how I was feeling. This album has a massive place in my heart. It brought something new in to my music taste which was dominated from heavier bands and opened me up to knowing it doesn't matter what people think of the music I listen to. Aslong as it's impacting me.

birdman 04/19/12 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sayitlkyoumnit (Post 106647102)
My first date with my sweetie was 8 years ago tomorrow - a show at TCNJ with The Early November, The Starting Line and Less Than Jake (does it get any better than that?). We're getting married a year from tomorrow <3

We weren't always together, but I never stopped listening to these guys. Along with Yellowcard, Blink, Brand New, Something Corporate, etc. - thanks for getting me through a lot of shit!

Wow, congratulations!

I lost my virginity after seeing Less Than Jake in Atlanta! Less Than Jake has that romantic effect huh.

ffadam 04/19/12 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Gardner (Post 106646822)
I was like..9 haha

haha I was 11, one of the first albums I remember hearing because of my brother. Along with 'Casually Dressed' by funeral for a friend.

lp670sv 04/19/12 05:47 PM

While not a specific record the song Any Other heart lead to my becoming friends with Jason Lancaster and now I run their online message board for them so that's pretty cool.

RyanFTW 04/19/12 05:48 PM

To be fair, I was telling EVERYONE IN EXISTENCE about The Gaslight Anthem at that time.

phillipjacob 04/19/12 05:51 PM

There's been many defining moments in my life where music was the soundtrack to the changes and decisions going on in my life, but there's one moment in particular that I go back in time to when I feel alone in the world.

When you're 16 and just moved from a suburban life to one of the country, where you don't know anyone and all your friends are an hour away..those fun summer nights spent with friends become summer nights spent with your headphones.

Tell All Your Friends became my escape along with skateboarding, it became my company, and it became my therapy for everything I was going for.

It's always going to be my favorite album for the hope, the angst, and the memories it's brought me in life. It's what I used to find new friends in my area, and what I fell asleep listening to every night.

georgedcc 04/19/12 05:53 PM

I've posted about this before, but I don't care, it's relevant.

The first song I ever remember enjoying was Hyperballad by Bjork. I would have been about 4. My parents had Debut on cassette, with a few songs from Post tacked on to the end. Hyperballad was the one song that stood out the most for me. It's just so beautiful, it's still my favourite song and whenever I listen to it, it relaxes and calms me instantly. It's the only song I could describe as perfect. Bjork is the only artist I've been listening to for 15 years and she's the only artist I'm confident I'll still be listening to for the next 15 years and beyond. No song has had such an impact on me and I doubt any other song ever will.

I think i post about Bjork too much. Even I'm getting sick of me talking about her haha

lilRIPsta 04/19/12 05:53 PM

Lostprophets- The Fake Sound of Progress (2001)- The first "scene" album I bought blew my mind at the time. I was a 13 year old TRL fanboy listening to Limp Bizkit and KoRn (notice my awareness to capitalize the R) when this album changed everything I would listen to from that day forward. It's catchy, rebellious, punky, and musically underrated. They actually had a legit rhythm section.

Thrice- Vheissu (2005)- The first album to truly have a lasting emotional effect on me. When it first came out I was dissapointed that it wasn't as catchy and fast as TAITA. It didnt give me that instant audible candy, it was a slow burner. It wasn't until a year later and a half later during my first year of college that I revisited it. I was a division 1 baseball player struggling to get off the bench in a college that was far away from home. The Earth Will Shake summed up my feelings to a tee, I felt like I was in prison but it gave a sense of hope that I still revisit to this day.

The Dear Hunter- Act II (2007)- This album still blows me away. It took me away from the mindset that everything had to scream to be emotional and you could be insanely catchy without being a generic pop-punk band. All while redefining the word epic for me in the world of music

_veges_ 04/19/12 05:53 PM

When I was 12 and heard Brand New's Seventy Times Seven on a mix CD

When I was 5 and remember rocking out to Nirvana and Jimmy Eat World in my dad's car

When I was 15 and heard the opening notes to Void off of Balance and Composure's Separation

sayitlkyoumnit 04/19/12 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdman (Post 106647182)
Wow, congratulations!

I lost my virginity after seeing Less Than Jake in Atlanta! Less Than Jake has that romantic effect huh.

Haha! Yessss, Marvin Gaye for the punk kids.