AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  You Blew It! - Grow Up, Dude (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2720872)

davefalcone777 04/24/12 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandon_260 (Post 106866972)
Such an amazing record. The Fifties is definitely my standout at the moment.

100% THIS.

troubledbyinsects 04/24/12 10:12 AM

this album is just... ahhhh!!!!

Greg.Kushlan 04/24/12 11:26 AM

I listened to the first couple of tracks on the player, and decided to order it. It sounds really good and I can't wait to get my download for it.

Jaytothesyg 04/24/12 11:38 AM

Gotta check this out. Not always into "twinkle daddies" thing but I'll check it out

Cool that Derek Perry produced it!

Siren 04/24/12 11:41 AM

I didn't want to believe him but this does to be quite plagiarized.

Drew Beringer 04/24/12 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harris73 (Post 106863022)
This review appears to be blatant plagiarism of the review that was posted last week on The Music The Message. It was also posted on You Blew It's facebook page over the weekend and quotes were pulled from it by Earshot media (their PR company). Come on dude, have any thoughts of your own?

http://www.themusicthemessage.com/?r...t-grow-up-dude

ah you missed a chance for the ultimate burn, should have put "grow up, dude, have any thoughts of your own?"

anyways, never heard of that site and I don't even read reviews, I barely have time to read the reviews on the very site I write for. It's probably coincidental as those comparisons are incredibly easy to make and probably have been made by other publications.

Nearly 300 reviews on this site, and today was the day I decided to plagiarize. yuuuup

Drew Beringer 04/24/12 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siren (Post 106876732)
I didn't want to believe him but this does to be quite plagiarized.

guess AltPress plagiarized too! http://www.altpress.com/reviews/entr...t_grow_up_dude

coma 04/24/12 11:48 AM

Hahahah. Awesome.

Siren 04/24/12 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Beringer (Post 106877132)

I don't know. I just find it kind of odd that they're so similar. The thing that really made me believe it was plagiarized was this:

Him:
There is a definite sense of nostalgia in the music that brings me back to my days spent at packed VFW halls, just 100 or so sweaty kids, singing along to every word of every song.

You:
The 46 second title track opens up the album with a nostalgic feel – its quiet, slow build-up surges into the raw energy of “Pinball House.” You feel like you're shoulder to shoulder with countless other people in a smoky, sweaty Knights of Columbus hall, bringing back that memory of shouting your lungs out.

There were a lot of other things I found similar but this one is just too similar. It's almost like you wanted to get the same point across but just changed and added a few words. And both are in reference to the same song. I guess it could be a coincidence, but I don't know.

Drew Beringer 04/24/12 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siren (Post 106877892)
I don't know. I just find it kind of odd that they're so similar. The thing that really made me believe it was plagiarized was this:

Him:
There is a definite sense of nostalgia in the music that brings me back to my days spent at packed VFW halls, just 100 or so sweaty kids, singing along to every word of every song.

You:
The 46 second title track opens up the album with a nostalgic feel – its quiet, slow build-up surges into the raw energy of “Pinball House.” You feel like you're shoulder to shoulder with countless other people in a smoky, sweaty Knights of Columbus hall, bringing back that memory of shouting your lungs out.

There were a lot of other things I found similar but this one is just too similar. It's almost like you wanted to get the same point across but just changed and added a few words. And both are in reference to the same song. I guess it could be a coincidence, but I don't know.

these aren't the only two reviews who probably have a reference to a VFW or KoC hall, because a lot of us have been in that moment. I wasn't really using that as a way to describe that song, more so summing up the feeling of the entire album.

guess AltPress also plagiarized:
"Jangly guitars lead to soft-spoken vocals and the resulting outburst of “Pinball House.” You Blew It! then proceed to take the late-’90s emo formula"

and

"...bring to mind hot, sweaty, echoing community halls with all the lights on, 50 kids with fists in the air and lots of bodies piling atop each other at the end of each song. "

Siren 04/24/12 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Beringer (Post 106878552)
these aren't the only two reviews who probably have a reference to a VFW or KoC hall, because a lot of us have been in that moment. I wasn't really using that as a way to describe that song, more so summing up the feeling of the entire album.

guess AltPress also plagiarized:
"Jangly guitars lead to soft-spoken vocals and the resulting outburst of “Pinball House.” You Blew It! then proceed to take the late-’90s emo formula"

and

"...bring to mind hot, sweaty, echoing community halls with all the lights on, 50 kids with fists in the air and lots of bodies piling atop each other at the end of each song. "

How the fuck does jangly make it into two reviews, both on the same album? No one says that.

But yeah, it's cool. I just thought it was odd how similar they were. I like your reviews and have thought many previous ones were original. I believe you that you didn't plagiarize.

Drew Beringer 04/24/12 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siren (Post 106878792)
How the fuck does jangly make it into two reviews, both on the same album? No one says that.

But yeah, it's cool. I just thought it was odd how similar they were. I like your reviews and have thought many previous ones were original. I believe you that you didn't plagiarize.

I dunno, jangly is a term that I've used on plenty of other views, it's not that uncommon haha.

troubledbyinsects 04/24/12 12:28 PM

lol

Siren 04/24/12 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Star Slight (Post 106879702)
only 3 people use the word "jangly" Drew, you fucking plagarizer

Drew didn't even use the word jangly. Anyway, you're being ridiculous. He may have not plagiarized, but you can't deny that they are similar.

runningohfive 04/24/12 12:45 PM

Need to listen to this.