AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  President Obama Slow Jams The News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2723102)

_veges_ 04/25/12 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillipjacob (Post 106940112)
I think that some people had such surreal expectations of Obama when he came to office, that no matter how well he's handled the storm he's been placed in, he'll still be seen as a failure to a large group of people.

There are things and ideals with which I wish he had been more dominant on, but overall I'd say he's done a pretty good job.

People also tend to forget our country is placed in a whole checks and balances system and that the president doesn't have absolute control over the government.

I couldn't agree more with everything you said

Holly HoX! 04/25/12 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t00latef0rr0ses (Post 106940062)
I am with you. My student loans are out of control and causing me financial problems even though I have a good job. Whichever candidate addresses this issue the best will be getting my vote.

I'm with you brother. Like he's been quoted saying in the last week, if we have college grads with tremendous debt who are unable to find a job or, like me and yourself, have a job and the debt is still a burden we have serious problems with the whole loan program and tuition costs in general.

Jason Tate 04/25/12 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t00latef0rr0ses (Post 106940062)
I am with you. My student loans are out of control and causing me financial problems even though I have a good job. Whichever candidate addresses this issue the best will be getting my vote.

"Obama is making a full-court press this week to extend low rates on government-subsidized student loans through next year, with stops at universities in North Carolina, Colorado and Iowa over the next several days. On Monday, Romney announced that he also supported the measure even though some Republican lawmakers have opposed it -- marking one of the first significant policies on which the two can agree...The debate over what to do about the nation’s $1 trillion in student loan debt speaks directly to all of those concerns. Many graduates have struggled to find jobs in the tight labor market -- and have fallen behind on their college loans in the process. Another study by Pew found that those debts have made it harder for many young people to buy a home and have affected their career choices. That has prompted rallies at college campuses across the country calling for an extension of low interest rates on federally subsidized Stafford loans."

Ylan Mui and Felicia Sonmez in The Washington Post.

Holly HoX! 04/25/12 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillipjacob (Post 106940112)
I think that some people had such surreal expectations of Obama when he came to office, that no matter how well he's handled the storm he's been placed in, he'll still be seen as a failure to a large group of people.

There are things and ideals with which I wish he had been more dominant on, but overall I'd say he's done a pretty good job.

People also tend to forget our country is placed in a whole checks and balances system and that the president doesn't have absolute control over the government.

I agree. But most people don't think as logically and rationally as you and I. If everyone did this nation and the world would be much much different.

We should have a one party system. I have a name for it too, it's called "Get Shit Done."

Holly HoX! 04/25/12 11:58 AM

Eliminate my fucking debt and I would be able to employ. Who doesn't get that. No debt, buy a house/car. In turn, it boosts the economy. I mean for fucks sake.

phillipjacob 04/25/12 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holly HoX! (Post 106940822)
I agree. But most people don't think as logically and rationally as you and I. If everyone did this nation and the world would be much much different.

We should have a one party system. I have a name for it too, it's called "Get Shit Done."

That's a party I'd be voting for sir. I cannot fathom some of the arguments made for or against the president or politics in general when the person only sees things in black and white.

It's also impossible to prove your point, no matter how logical it may be to someone who refuses to listen to another's opinion or even considers the possibility they may be wrong.

We're a rare breed.

audioboxer27 04/25/12 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theonethingihav (Post 106937612)
haha no, its not that. I'm just saying I've never seen a president try so desperately to appear on so many tv shows. It just kinda seems to me he wanted to be president so he could fulfill his fantasy of being a movie/tv star. You guys all have your opinions, that's fine. I just felt like throwing mine out there to shake it up a little.

Who's saying he's desperately trying to appear on so many TV shows though? You're looking at it from one side only. You're forgetting the fact that he's a popular guy and liked by many. He's not like George Bush.. people actually want Obama on their TV shows. He's extremely personable, very well spoken and people like him.

t00latef0rr0ses 04/25/12 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holly HoX! (Post 106941032)
Eliminate my fucking debt and I would be able to employ. Who doesn't get that. No debt, buy a house/car. In turn, it boosts the economy. I mean for fucks sake.

I would pay off my debt if it didnt have such high interest rates on it. It's aburd that every month I put 700 towards my school loans and I can't make a dent in the principal balance. Without my school loans, I'd have thousands saved up, a brand new car and a nice place to live. Instead (dont make fun of me haha) I am still at home trying to make as much progress as I can on my debt before I move out and will become broke because of it.

AsfAstAswegofar 04/25/12 12:04 PM

Ron Paul 2012

daftpunker45 04/25/12 12:07 PM

Awesome.

Elbozonic 04/25/12 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zack-182 (Post 106934582)
Am I the only one who thought it was going to be funnier than it turned out?

nope. the slow jam the news segments have never really been that funny to me.

bojl 04/25/12 12:11 PM

haha

smowashere 04/25/12 12:11 PM

You drop that mic, Obama. You drop it.

Holly HoX! 04/25/12 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t00latef0rr0ses (Post 106941502)
I would pay off my debt if it didnt have such high interest rates on it. It's aburd that every month I put 700 towards my school loans and I can't make a dent in the principal balance. Without my school loans, I'd have thousands saved up, a brand new car and a nice place to live. Instead (dont make fun of me haha) I am still at home trying to make as much progress as I can on my debt before I move out and will become broke because of it.

We're literally on the same page. My hundreds of dollars that go from my paycheck every month doesn't do anything. I'm on a modest salary and it's a significant percentage that is forfeited, which could be going to rent, mortgage, my business. I have been able to buy my own car, but that's about it. I live at home still and wish I could move out. I could bit that would give me literally a few hundred dollars of breathing room per month not counting food/gas/necessities.

It's fucked really. after I had been at my job for about five solid months I would ask my parents, "do people even save money anymore?" Because I really had nothing to show after paying endless bills. There answer is simple, "no, not really."

Well what the fuck. How am I supposed to a) build something for myself or b) "reinvigorate" the economy when I'm always just breaking even. It's the most frustrating thing right now. I'm trying to make something for myself and build a business on top of my full time job...to do so I have to make sacrifices that I shouldn't have to.

Holly HoX! 04/25/12 12:15 PM

Rant, but whatever. For all those that read this thread who are 18-22 years old college students or even younger - - - this is what you're in for. It's not a scare tactic, it's reality. I'm just like anyone else on this site.

t00latef0rr0ses 04/25/12 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holly HoX! (Post 106942402)
We're literally on the same page. My hundreds of dollars that go from my paycheck every month doesn't do anything. I'm on a modest salary and it's a significant percentage that is forfeited, which could be going to rent, mortgage, my business. I have been able to buy my own car, but that's about it. I live at home still and wish I could move out. I could bit that would give me literally a few hundred dollars of breathing room per month not counting food/gas/necessities.

It's fucked really. after I had been at my job for about five solid months I would ask my parents, "do people even save money anymore?" Because I really had nothing to show after paying endless bills. There answer is simple, "no, not really."

Well what the fuck. How am I supposed to a) build something for myself or b) "reinvigorate" the economy when I'm always just breaking even. It's the most frustrating thing right now. I'm trying to make something for myself and build a business on top of my full time job...to do so I have to make sacrifices that I shouldn't have to.

Yeah, I do exactly the same thing. I try my hardest to save money, but it goes towards school loans and other monthly bills. Without my school loans I would be financially stable in 2 years tops. Now, I have to wait until I am 30-35, when they will be completely paid off. Ridiculous.

I guess we will see what happens and hopefuilly some progress is made. Sooner than later though because I need to get the fuck out of my house haha. Good luck man.

Holly HoX! 04/25/12 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t00latef0rr0ses (Post 106942962)
Yeah, I do exactly the same thing. I try my hardest to save money, but it goes towards school loans and other monthly bills. Without my school loans I would be financially stable in 2 years tops. Now, I have to wait until I am 30-35, when they will be completely paid off. Ridiculous.

I guess we will see what happens and hopefuilly some progress is made. Sooner than later though because I need to get the fuck out of my house haha. Good luck man.

Haha same here. My habits dictate a change of habitat.

Good luck to you as well.

ttmessick 04/25/12 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theonethingihav (Post 106935782)
Now if only he would start doing his job as "president" instead of the job he thinks he got elected for, "Superstar" Am I the only one that is sick of seeing his face on every TV show on every network, when he should worry a little more about this country and not how many TV shows he can get on in 4 years....

Using pop culture to connect with the people is something that is arguably unprecidented but why is it a bad thing? I think it's great that he is out in the open letting us know what is going on instead of hiding for 4 years. Nothing wrong with reaching out to the public for support; we all know he isn't getting it from Congress.

steve187 04/25/12 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by averdon4788 (Post 106935382)
I guess I'm part of the small minority who actually enjoyed Fallon on SNL, but god dammit I find his late night show to be absolutely atrocious!!

he's awful but still lovable to watch at the same time. its weird

Gaugzilla 04/25/12 12:39 PM

Quote:

I guess I'm part of the small minority who actually enjoyed Fallon on SNL, but god dammit I find his late night show to be absolutely atrocious!!

I feel the exact opposite. His show is great, his time on SNL - not really.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdkelly (Post 106938582)
Classic Propaganda.

Ron Paul 2012.

j-dogg_69 04/25/12 12:43 PM

Obama appears, to me, as down to Earth and in touch with reality, while at the same time not taking himself too seriously to have a laugh once in a while.

God knows the UK need a politician like this, instead of the elite educated toss pots who claim to offer different cuts/benefits but ultimately fuck us all over in the same way, and no one respects them

Also, now this is my slightly uneducated view so correct me if I'm wrong, don't flame me. Does the blame of student debts lie with Obama? Surely it's the schools/colleges/universities charging astronomical fees? I looked up a few different universities fees a couple of years ago and the amount you pay is just ludicrous, as is the price you pay for student accomodation. Why is it so high? Over here there has been a recent uproar over maximum annual fees rising to £9000, which is ludicrous enough.

That got a bit long, in short, why are fees in America so high?

MonopolyMan 04/25/12 12:45 PM

both these assholes need to be fired.

domotime2 04/25/12 12:50 PM

dont get me wrong...i love that the president does stuff like this.... but god damn jimmy fallon sucks.

Joey-Wan Kenobi 04/25/12 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xSpillFiction (Post 106935972)
all jokes and funnies aside, obama is the man. seriously, what good is raising student loan interest going to do for people?

they want to trade on your loans, as it's the only loan you cannot default on. aka, it's the safest bet that traders can make by screwing the students.

bullsh--.

Siren 04/25/12 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njdevils327 (Post 106937162)
Coolest President since Andrew Jackson

Yup. Committing genocide against Native Americans is real cool.

Holly HoX! 04/25/12 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j-dogg_69 (Post 106944212)
Obama appears, to me, as down to Earth and in touch with reality, while at the same time not taking himself too seriously to have a laugh once in a while.

God knows the UK need a politician like this, instead of the elite educated toss pots who claim to offer different cuts/benefits but ultimately fuck us all over in the same way, and no one respects them

Also, now this is my slightly uneducated view so correct me if I'm wrong, don't flame me. Does the blame of student debts lie with Obama? Surely it's the schools/colleges/universities charging astronomical fees? I looked up a few different universities fees a couple of years ago and the amount you pay is just ludicrous, as is the price you pay for student accomodation. Why is it so high? Over here there has been a recent uproar over maximum annual fees rising to 9000, which is ludicrous enough.

That got a bit long, in short, why are fees in America so high?

It's not his fault or any individuals fault. It's the result of a faulty system that has been in place and perpetuating for some time.

Holly HoX! 04/25/12 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siren (Post 106944772)
Yup. Committing genocide against Native Americans is real cool.

Lol he obviously just pulled that out of his ass. What an idiot he is.

Plus, everyone knows - on both sides - that Clinton was the shit.

PIG DESTROYER 04/25/12 01:10 PM

Everyone on here is probably just sucking Obama's dick so they don't get indefinitely detained.

Truthfully, my opinions on Obama aside, no president should do anything like this until their job as president is done, or is done enough to warrant some time off. Make all the excuses you want for him, but he hasn't made good on a lot of the things he promised if he was elected, and some of the things he has done were about 2-3 years late.

Try that at your job. "I'll do this tomorrow." and then you don't do it for 3 years? or ever? And then you go goof off for hours a day and take vacations left and right. See how long you keep that job.

You're all forgetting that the country elected him to do the things he said he would try to do. He hasn't done what he promised, and while those things remain undone, he's making jokes on TV. Shameful. The forgiving nature of people in the face of the atrocities this government has done is sickening. As long as your politicians are good looking and funny right?

theHECKLER 04/25/12 01:11 PM

Obama sucks

/heckling

Dustin Harkins 04/25/12 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PIG DESTROYER (Post 106945612)
Everyone on here is probably just sucking Obama's dick so they don't get indefinitely detained.

Truthfully, my opinions on Obama aside, no president should do anything like this until their job as president is done, or is done enough to warrant some time off. Make all the excuses you want for him, but he hasn't made good on a lot of the things he promised if he was elected, and some of the things he has done were about 2-3 years late.

Try that at your job. "I'll do this tomorrow." and then you don't do it for 3 years? or ever? And then you go goof off for hours a day and take vacations left and right. See how long you keep that job.

You're all forgetting that the country elected him to do the things he said he would try to do. He hasn't done what he promised, and while those things remain undone, he's making jokes on TV. Shameful. The forgiving nature of people in the face of the atrocities this government has done is sickening. As long as your politicians are good looking and funny right?

I need a burger at McDonalds around midnight and your shift ended at 10PM. You're at a bar. You shouldn't be there vacationing and celebrating, you should be making me my burger. I need it now.

Jason Tate 04/25/12 01:13 PM

Quote:

I think comparing the President of the United States to someone's "regular" 9-5 job is pretty much as apples to oranges as you can get. And to your last point, yeah - he hasn't done everything he said he would do, but by most measures he's had one of the more productive first terms in history -- and has done a lot with the hand he was dealt.

i like apples 04/25/12 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate (Post 106945832)
I think comparing the President of the United States to someone's "regular" 9-5 job is pretty much as apples to oranges as you can get. And to your last point, yeah - he hasn't done everything he said he would do, but by most measures he's had one of the more productive first terms in history -- and has done a lot with the hand he was dealt.

Love this. I really enjoy when people expect him to fix everything in 1 term, when in reality we were so far fucked that realistically we'll still be recovering even when he's done with his second term.

honestykills 04/25/12 01:27 PM

Yea that really wasn't funny at all.

PunkInfluence09 04/25/12 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate (Post 106945832)

Boom. Tate goes on the offensive. Tate casts logic! It's super effective!

Tate - 1

Random Nobody - 0

Kyle Garchar 04/25/12 01:48 PM

Some people literally have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to politics. Zero knowledge on how the system actually works. None. It's astounding. I often wonder if people paid any attention during US Government in high school.

Kyle Garchar 04/25/12 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _veges_ (Post 106936942)
This is so pathetically stupid I'm not even going to try to argue with you

Kinda how I feel...
Quote:

Originally Posted by theonethingihav (Post 106937612)
haha no, its not that. I'm just saying I've never seen a president try so desperately to appear on so many tv shows. It just kinda seems to me he wanted to be president so he could fulfill his fantasy of being a movie/tv star. You guys all have your opinions, that's fine. I just felt like throwing mine out there to shake it up a little.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theonethingihav (Post 106935782)
Now if only he would start doing his job as "president" instead of the job he thinks he got elected for, "Superstar" Am I the only one that is sick of seeing his face on every TV show on every network, when he should worry a little more about this country and not how many TV shows he can get on in 4 years....

Do you realize, or have any idea, AT ALL, what the president does? I can't even type proper sentences right now because I'm so astounded at the pure ignorance of your comment. Please, pretty please, go and do some homework on the subject.

Amidst being a superstar, Barack Obama has also taken part in pushing some of these things...

http://whatthefuckhasobamadonesofar.com/

Kyle Garchar 04/25/12 01:55 PM

Quote:

Do you realize what it's like when you're handed a plate full of shit and asked to turn it into Filet Mignon? Few even realized how bad the economic situation was until after he was in office, and if you take a look at things...the economy has been on a steady increase for years. It's called prioritizing, which is something everyone does at work. It's not a matter of "Oh I don't feel like getting around to this, so I'll do it tomorrow"

It's a matter of, "Oh, I have way more important stuff to do first, because if this shit doesn't get taken care of, nothing else will matter because we'll be balls deep in another great depression"

JamieTheSonger 04/25/12 02:00 PM

Alexx Miller 04/25/12 02:18 PM

Quote:

Seriously? I think the exact opposite!

AP_Punk 04/25/12 02:33 PM

is this the same night Refused was supposed to perform? that would've been a rad lineup. haha.

cshadows2887 04/25/12 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njdevils327 (Post 106937162)
Coolest President since Andrew Jackson

It's a good thing Andrew Jackson isn't still living. I hate him so much I'd literally spend all my time outside his home yelling terrible things at him. Haha.

xSpillFiction 04/25/12 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey-Wan Kenobi (Post 106944602)
they want to trade on your loans, as it's the only loan you cannot default on. aka, it's the safest bet that traders can make by screwing the students.

bullsh--.

oh i know. i understand the logistics and idea behind it. i just think it's a dumb idea (because i'm a college student and all and am super biased on this one). i really dig that obama's against it and is standing up for education/students/schooling. to me it is absolutely crazy to realize that the prsident of the freakin' united states just payed his loans off about 8 years ago. it says so much about our priorities as a country when you think about it.

jonny storm 04/25/12 02:59 PM

I love how a lot of young people think that he is so cool. If they would actually look into what he actually doing instead of what he is saying he is doing they would actually see that he is full of crap. He is the first president to appear on every late night talk show and daytime talk show. He really needs to quit trying to be famous and do something good for the country.

njdevils327 04/25/12 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cshadows2887 (Post 106951072)
It's a good thing Andrew Jackson isn't still living. I hate him so much I'd literally spend all my time outside his home yelling terrible things at him. Haha.

hahah yeah. He was a terrible president. but no once could say he wasnt a badass...

cshadows2887 04/25/12 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njdevils327 (Post 106952402)
hahah yeah. He was a terrible president. but no once could say he wasnt a badass...

Would have been nice if he lost one of those goddamn duels.

njdevils327 04/25/12 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cshadows2887 (Post 106952442)
Would have been nice if he lost one of those goddamn duels.

True haha.

Joey-Wan Kenobi 04/25/12 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xSpillFiction (Post 106951232)
oh i know. i understand the logistics and idea behind it. i just think it's a dumb idea (because i'm a college student and all and am super biased on this one). i really dig that obama's against it and is standing up for education/students/schooling. to me it is absolutely crazy to realize that the prsident of the freakin' united states just payed his loans off about 8 years ago. it says so much about our priorities as a country when you think about it.

absolutely! it scares me that I just started back in school this year. I was out of the education loop so I quit my job 100% ..needless to say year one and i'm in debt HUGE and taking out maximum loans.

The system is so messed up, especially thinking we more or less NEED an education to get anywhere in life. The market is saturated, and everyone's losing. sucks.

Rysker6 04/25/12 03:17 PM

I loved this from last night, would have been great if Brian Williams would have done it with as well. (He usually does).

CastlesXClouds 04/25/12 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ban4HayleysTits (Post 106938742)
You are so dumb, for real.

haha

CastlesXClouds 04/25/12 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cshadows2887 (Post 106951072)

this