AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  The Dropkick Murphys Respond to Republican Using Their Song (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2747122)

BlackTaxi2d 05/14/12 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidinthebushes (Post 107961792)
Haha, why does it matter which party the politician was affiliated with?

This site is so fucking slanted it makes me sick.

9/10 troll job, A++ would read again

also, get the word 'punk' the fuck out of your quote below your name if you're not interested in politics.

if you're voting Romney next election, you're gonna have a bad time at any punk site

fna4 05/14/12 02:04 PM

I don't get the outrage. How the hell can you not understand a band who sings about the working class opposing a politician who's policy will desteroy the working class. Good for them. A lot of bands on this site seem like they were put toegther by label marketing departments, it's good to see a band speak their mind.

Jason Tate 05/14/12 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ...atfirstsight (Post 107963112)
This is so unbelievably stupid. I guess I can't appreciate Childish Gambino/Donald Glover because he's black and I'm white... have any Adam Lambert songs on my iPhone because he's gay and I'm straight.... or listen to any number of atheist/agnostic artists because I'm not.

Bottom line is this: everyone who listens to the same song will take away something different, some may be really surprising. For an artist to say: "You're not allowed to enjoy our music because you are an (fill in the blank)" is ridiculous.

---- the Point -----



















-Your Head-

Steve Alcala 05/14/12 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ...atfirstsight (Post 107963112)
This is so unbelievably stupid. I guess I can't appreciate Childish Gambino/Donald Glover because he's black and I'm white... have any Adam Lambert songs on my iPhone because he's gay and I'm straight.... or listen to any number of atheist/agnostic artists because I'm not.

Bottom line is this: everyone who listens to the same song will take away something different, some may be really surprising. For an artist to say: "You're not allowed to enjoy our music because you are an (fill in the blank)" is ridiculous.

It's not that they are xxxxxxxx, it's that they are using something the band made in PROMOTION for something the band is against. It has nothing to do with race or orientation so those examples kinda stink.

ihaveblink 05/14/12 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ...atfirstsight (Post 107963112)
This is so unbelievably stupid. I guess I can't appreciate Childish Gambino/Donald Glover because he's black and I'm white... have any Adam Lambert songs on my iPhone because he's gay and I'm straight.... or listen to any number of atheist/agnostic artists because I'm not.

Bottom line is this: everyone who listens to the same song will take away something different, some may be really surprising. For an artist to say: "You're not allowed to enjoy our music because you are an (fill in the blank)" is ridiculous.


But they are using said song to promote themselves and agenda that the band stands against. Duh doi.

JoshKilpatrickL 05/14/12 02:07 PM

Someone give those babies a bottle.

BlackTaxi2d 05/14/12 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ...atfirstsight (Post 107963112)
This is so unbelievably stupid. I guess I can't appreciate Childish Gambino/Donald Glover because he's black and I'm white... have any Adam Lambert songs on my iPhone because he's gay and I'm straight.... or listen to any number of atheist/agnostic artists because I'm not.

Bottom line is this: everyone who listens to the same song will take away something different, some may be really surprising. For an artist to say: "You're not allowed to enjoy our music because you are an (fill in the blank)" is ridiculous.

this guy used the DM music as an intro to a convention where he spoke his political ideals.

this 100% relates to the issue.

your argument about black/white or gay/straight is COMPLETELY irrelevant and has nothing to do with political ideology. the artists you named are not singing about why they chose to be black or gay.

on your 3rd point, i would hope that if you listened to atheist music that you were actually atheist, because that is something the artist chose to sing about.

these summer teenagers on this site need to learn some logic.

JoshKilpatrickL 05/14/12 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackTaxi2d (Post 107963622)

these summer teenagers on this site need to learn some logic.


Eurotrash Drock 05/14/12 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackTaxi2d (Post 107963302)
9/10 troll job, A++ would read again

also, get the word 'punk' the fuck out of your quote below your name if you're not interested in politics.

if you're voting Romney next election, you're gonna have a bad time at any punk site

this

...atfirstsight 05/14/12 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihaveblink (Post 107963492)
But they are using said song to promote themselves and agenda that the band stands against. Duh doi.


Quote:

Originally Posted by buhbee94 (Post 107963422)
It's not that they are xxxxxxxx, it's that they are using something the band made in PROMOTION for something the band is against. It has nothing to do with race or orientation so those examples kinda stink.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate (Post 107963402)
---- the Point -----

-Your Head-


I guess we have different definitions of the word "promotion." Is he using the song in his campaign ads? Is he plastering his website with it? Hell no. It's his intro music. It plays for what, 10-15 seconds as he walks up to the stage? No one is saying "Oh, that's DM. I wasn't going to vote for him before, I'm totally voting for him now." I guarantee you the impact that DM song has on his campaign is 0.0%. It's the equivalent of "walk-up" music in baseball.

If a Boston Red Sox player uses a Jay-Z song as his intro music, would Jay-Z go off? If Mitt Romney wanted to be introduced with a Lady Gaga song, would she trash him because of it? It's childish to make such a fuss over something so insignificant. Take it as a compliment that someone so different than you listens to your music and brush it off...

Steve Alcala 05/14/12 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ...atfirstsight (Post 107964942)
I guess we have different definitions of the word "promotion." Is he using the song in his campaign ads? Is he plastering his website with it? Hell no. It's his intro music. It plays for what, 10-15 seconds as he walks up to the stage? No one is saying "Oh, that's DM. I wasn't going to vote for him before, I'm totally voting for him now." I guarantee you the impact that DM song has on his campaign is 0.0%. It's the equivalent of "walk-up" music in baseball.

If a Boston Red Sox player uses a Jay-Z song as his intro music, would Jay-Z go off? If Mitt Romney wanted to be introduced with a Lady Gaga song, would she trash him because of it? It's childish to make such a fuss over something so insignificant. Take it as a compliment that someone so different than you listens to your music and brush it off...

You're still missing the point. This isn't ENTERTAINMENT, it's a political convention, which by definition is promoting who is speaking or the political ideology of the speaker. Every part of that is designed/ staged to generate favor for a politician, who is running off a platform that in this case, DM wholeheartedly disagree with. They made the call to speak up.

anamericangod 05/14/12 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kidinthebushes (Post 107961792)
Haha, why does it matter which party the politician was affiliated with?

This site is so fucking slanted it makes me sick.

Stop reading and posting then?

Holly HoX! 05/14/12 02:38 PM

Kidinthebushes trolls everyone super hard

And

...atfirstsight so clearly does not understand this whole thing it's not even worth getting into it with him.

That's what's ITT

prospekt 05/14/12 02:41 PM

Bands that speak out about this stuff always look like idiots.

DKM fans will support them no matter what, so they can't gain ground there.

On the flipside, to everyone else they look like such whiny bitches, and deservedly so. As a band you write the song and then people interpret it in different ways. No need to act like whiny bitches.

DecemberFaded 05/14/12 02:57 PM

Saw them at Warped once where a fan was flipping them off so the lead singer ended the set and went through the crowd to "beat him up." it was one of the most childish junior high things I've ever seen a band do. Bunch of whiners.