AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  The Dropkick Murphys Respond to Republican Using Their Song (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2747122)

SuNDaYSTaR 05/14/12 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by contra11mundum (Post 107969032)
Anyone ever wonder why Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) by Green Day used to be a popular wedding song?

It was?

fna4 05/14/12 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Blood (Post 107967112)
who cares? band fucking sucks
he's helping your dumbass band with undeserved promotion, no bad press
he could have easily gone with some disney band

You're an idiot. Would you want anything you create and take pride in to be played at an event promoting something or someone you fundementally oppose?

TomAce 05/14/12 05:05 PM

what a surprise, kidinthebushes made a comment everyone hated. maybe he should jump from behind that bush into the path of an unsuspecting mini-van.

TomAce 05/14/12 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by contra11mundum (Post 107969032)
Anyone ever wonder why Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) by Green Day used to be a popular wedding song?

what about The Police "Every Breath You Take"?

...song is about a love sick stalker.

undonesweater93 05/14/12 05:23 PM

Kind of a childish response from the Dropkick Murphys really. "I'm Shipping Off to Boston" has absolutely nothing to do with being pro-labor. It's one thing to say, "We are diametrically opposed to your campaign, so stop using our music." It's another thing for them to pretend that this candidate is trying to connect himself with Dropkick Murphys's messages.

harsh reality 05/14/12 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve187 (Post 107962932)
kinda douchey

What else would you expect from this band?

icantdecide 05/14/12 05:44 PM

Nothing wrong with a band not wanting their music to be used to represent someone who stands for something in total opposition of what the band stands for. I wouldn't exactly go speak at an animal rights convention with a Ted Nugent song blaring as I took the podium.

msulliv7 05/14/12 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timorous_me (Post 107967502)
I can almost guarantee that she would oppose Romney using her music and release a statement as well.

And this isn't an isolated incident or limited to punk rock. Springsteen, for instance, came out against Ronald Reagan using "Born in the U.S.A." during his political race.

This. It has been ever present that many bands and artists have objected to politicians using their song to promote or symbolize their agenda. Whether it be liberal or conservative, if the artist finds offense that the politician is using their work to prop up ideals oh which the artist disagrees with, they have the full right to acknowledge it. If Barack Obama can call Kanye West a jackass, DKM can call these guys jackasses.

Clark 05/14/12 06:11 PM

Holy shit there are some fucking morons in this thread. Not a single opinion of this site or its staff was expressed in this post. And if you can't figure out neither why this is ironic idiocy on Jeff Fitzgerald and/or those running his campaign's part nor why Dropkick Murphys have a problem with it, please feel free to not post.

msulliv7 05/14/12 06:15 PM

The song "Take Em Down" was seriously a battle cry for the Wisconsin union battle and recall. This is something they are clearly on the prolabor, not Walker side. So the idea that speaking out for an antiunion politician using their music is wrong, is well, wrong.

Dan1234 05/14/12 06:28 PM

lol this politician should be able to just use whatever song he wants. So what if the band disagrees with the politicians views, he likes the song. People need to stop taking themselves so seriously.

brainstew123 05/14/12 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackTaxi2d (Post 107963302)
9/10 troll job, A++ would read again

also, get the word 'punk' the fuck out of your quote below your name if you're not interested in politics.

if you're voting Romney next election, you're gonna have a bad time at any punk site

Ron Paul.

JayDanielHammer 05/14/12 06:58 PM

Am I allowed to think unions are no longer relevant and still like DKM?

saofan_315 05/14/12 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prospekt (Post 107969112)
You're right dude. What you said is pure fact. What Walker is doing is totally wrong and anyone who thinks otherwise is ignorant. The recall vote should go against him 100 percent to 0. Society is so ignorant these days its the 21st century. Pisses me off.

Word.

handlikesecret 05/14/12 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan1234 (Post 107977992)
lol this politician should be able to just use whatever song he wants. So what if the band disagrees with the politicians views, he likes the song. People need to stop taking themselves so seriously.

this.