AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Kickstarter Watch: gTar -- The Digital Guitar (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2763392)

Jason Tate 05/26/12 05:00 PM

Kickstarter Watch: gTar -- The Digital Guitar

A fascinating new kickstarter has been making the rounds the past week or so, it's called the gTar. Basically, it's a fully digital guitar - that you can hook up to an iOS device and it can teach you how to play as well as a few other tricks.
From the KickstarterYou may be asking yourself what it means for a guitar to be "digital." While most guitars have pickups to amplify the sound of vibrating strings, the gTar has none - instead, we've designed the gTar with sensors that detect exactly what you're playing in real-time and relay each note to your iPhone, which then produces the actual sound. This makes it possible for us to do all kinds of exciting things ...

MikeYabs 05/26/12 05:09 PM

wow

Zack Zarrillo 05/26/12 05:11 PM

That's pretty damn cool. Not like Rockband at all, obviously. Interested in seeing what happens with this

SuNDaYSTaR 05/26/12 05:28 PM

Pretty cool for effects and all, but I better not see a single musician play with one at a concert.

Jason Tate 05/26/12 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuNDaYSTaR (Post 108512272)
Pretty cool for effects and all, but I better not see a single musician play with one at a concert.

Why not? Bet you could do some awesome piano/guitar improv-sounds unlike you could do with anything else.

JustAHomeBoy 05/26/12 06:07 PM

This seems like a watered down version of the Starr Labs Ztar, obviously more for beginners though. Pretty cool.

Carry The Zero 05/26/12 06:29 PM

I wonder how much its going to cost to buy each song to play on the guitar. That could get expensive quick.

Overall, Really cool idea, but I'd be hesitant to buy something that expensive that only seems to work through their app. Once people start hacking this thing, it could get extremely cool though.

SuNDaYSTaR 05/26/12 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate (Post 108512362)
Why not? Bet you could do some awesome piano/guitar improv-sounds unlike you could do with anything else.

What I really meant was that I'd be pissed if some musician went up there and used the easy mode to avoid making mistakes. I'm all for using it to create new sounds though.

randys950 05/26/12 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate (Post 108512362)

with the right amps and pedals almost anything can be done too, but I'd hate to see an all digital band play in concert. we'd see alot more artists like 3oh3 and millionaires hold these devices calling them musical instruments calling themselves bands

Jason Tate 05/26/12 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuNDaYSTaR (Post 108514552)
What I really meant was that I'd be pissed if some musician went up there and used the easy mode to avoid making mistakes. I'm all for using it to create new sounds though.

Haha, gotcha.

Jason Tate 05/26/12 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randys950 (Post 108517382)
with the right amps and pedals almost anything can be done too, but I'd hate to see an all digital band play in concert. we'd see alot more artists like 3oh3 and millionaires hold these devices calling them musical instruments calling themselves bands

We see it already ... haha.

Manufactured Dreams 05/26/12 09:28 PM

Wow. I'd to be one of the first to have it.

TheRealJohnOC 05/26/12 09:37 PM

I'd love to have one of those but I'm not shelling out 500 for it.

mattregan 05/26/12 09:38 PM

Reminds me of Rock Band / Guitar Hero.

11:11 05/26/12 10:00 PM

It's a cool idea for helping people learn, but I'm a bit old fashioned...I still think it's better to learn on the real thing.