AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Full Matt Skiba & The Sekrets Set from Chicago (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2782162)

poppunkwayo 06/11/12 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfwaxsideshow (Post 109193652)
I love the dude on the right who fist pumps the whole time like this isn't a mess.

he had a fair share of alkeehawl before the show ;P

xtbs7645x 06/11/12 07:44 AM

I wish the iPhone would automatically switch to landscape... too many videos like this on youtube.

TheZeroKid 06/11/12 07:57 AM

Oh my...this is terrible. Has "What Are You Doing?!" become a meme yet?

david Johnston 06/11/12 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dom_182 (Post 109203132)
You sir, are an idiot.

hey dom 182, shut the fuck up.

I didn't really understand whats so bad either? Again its very low quality and don't know their songs but still don't understand the "train wreck" that it was. Not saying it wasn't but this video doesn't really show it.

Fuck You Aurora 06/11/12 08:17 AM

Can we just leave this alone now ? It's done and over with.

WhitefalconTLE 06/11/12 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuck You Aurora (Post 109204832)
Can we just leave this alone now ? It's done and over with.

Exactly, the Philly show was great, even with being sick he still sounded MUCH better than the first night, got through all the songs, and they put on a great show.

IV. 06/11/12 08:44 AM

Matt Skiba sounds bad live=greeted with fist pumps
Nickelback sounds exactly like cd live=greeted with rocks

xBranx 06/11/12 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IV. (Post 109205442)
Matt Skiba sounds bad live=greeted with fist pumps
Nickelback sounds exactly like cd live=greeted with rocks

Lip syncing helps.

WhitefalconTLE 06/11/12 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xBranx (Post 109205552)
Lip syncing helps.

as does lack of creativity

Shatter_Glass 06/11/12 09:18 AM

holy shit-show rodeo.

Moe 06/11/12 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david Johnston (Post 109204662)
hey dom 182, shut the fuck up.

I didn't really understand whats so bad either? Again its very low quality and don't know their songs but still don't understand the "train wreck" that it was. Not saying it wasn't but this video doesn't really show it.

I am a fan and i watched the entire video. I've had the cd since it dropped and I bought the singles on itunes months in advance and I still screw up the verses in Voices.

Skiba's writing style has always been written in a way where it's easy to mistakenly use a line from one verse for one in a later or previous verse. Its usually a single line/word that's changed verse to verse and it confuses me sometimes, stone sober. There are still trio songs that I can never nail when singing along to that I've been listening to for years. And I can remember seeing trio a number of times and Matt fudging the lyrics to "this addiction" and "time to waste" and "all on black. So I don't fault him for being confused a few times lyrically.

Was it an amazing performance? No. But I also don't see it being a "trainwreck" his voice sounded strained and he seemed nervous. Sure alcohol played some part but some of the comments before this video made it seem like he was just a stammering drunken mess and going off about his divorce.

My heart went out to him so much when he was asking if anyone had been divorced and how bad it sucks. I didn't see what was wrong with that, it was in relation to "Angel of Deaf", obviously a song about his divorce. I think he's saved face for a while now with meditation and trying to get away from the "torture soul" singer/songwriter cliche but he's obviously still got demons he's fighting. How can you play a song about your divorce night after night and not have it stir up shitty thoughts. After 8 years with one girl and the mess of that breakup there are trio songs I can't listen to because it brings up memories of that relationship so I can just imagine how he must feel.

I wish Skiba the best. I hope the rest of the tour goes smoothly. I'm flying to NYC to see this wednesday and I couldn't be more excited. He's said he's working on a way to make up the Chicago show so I too hope this goes away and Skiba finishes strong (especially in Brooklyn ha!)

Sorry its so long and a rant. I don't normally post but watching the video all the way through somehow gave me a better insight into him. I wish him the best. Can't wait for wednesday.

#guylove

EDIT: I also thought his between-song ramblings were kinda of funny? Could just be me. :)

reachforthesun 06/11/12 09:35 AM

did they already play MI?

lesto17 06/11/12 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhitefalconTLE (Post 109204922)
Exactly, the Philly show was great, even with being sick he still sounded MUCH better than the first night, got through all the songs, and they put on a great show.

Seriously. The show last night in D.C. was great too. The Smoking Popes absolutely killed it (as always), and then Skiba & The Sekrets came out and sounded damn good/put on a good show. Matt did have the lyrics on a stand, but seemed to only really glance at them a few times throughout the set, certainly nothing detrimental to the show in any way.

Between the anxiety of doing something new/different from what he has become accustomed to after years with The Trio, the lack of experience in playing these songs live, and being a bit inebriated, I would say that Matt and co. deserve a bit of a reprieve from the relentless criticism after one rough outing. It definitely sucks for the people who attended this particular show that they were the ones who had to go through some of the "growing pains", if you will, but much worse things can happen.

EnZo 06/11/12 10:26 AM

I've seen the trio so many times that I've lost count...and I've seen him like this on a few occasions, specifically on the most recent new years show at the metro where they played maybe ill catch fire in its entirety and he messed up at least 3 songs, including my friend peter and 5-3-10-4 which he flat out said he didn't remember all the words too...I've backed skiba and the trio for too long to rip up my ticket and leave a show because it was lackluster...although i am glad to hear he apologized and is doing something to make it up to the fans at the metro who support him so much

Shatter_Glass 06/11/12 10:33 AM

I feel so bad for the Skeptics.