AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  2007 (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
  -  Louise Heng (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=281400)

Louise Heng 12/01/07 05:34 PM

Louise Heng

To forewarn, I really hate making numerical lists. I would have to say the top 9 are fairly accurate but anything after that is pretty much interchangable!

My Top 25 of 2007
25. Stars - In Our Bedroom After the War
24. Klaxons - Myths Of The Near Future
23. Tegan & Sara - The Con
22. The Shins – Wincing the Night Away
21. Devendra Banhart - Smokey Rolls Down Thunder Canyon
20. Feist – The Reminder
19. Wilco – Sky Blue Sky
18. Battles – Mirrored
17. Yelle - Pop Up
16. Ratatat – Remixes Vol 2
15. Patrick Wolf – The Magic Position
14. New Young Pony Club – Fantastic Playroom
13. Spoon – Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
12. Panda Bear - Person Pitch
11. Jimmy Eat World - Chase this Light
10. Coheed and Cambria – No World for Tomorrow
9. Of Montreal – Hissing Fauna are You the Destroyer?
8. Voxtrot – S/T
7. Iron & Wine – Shepherds Dog
6. Simian Mobile Disco – Attack Decay Sustain Release
5. Daft Punk - Alive 2007
4. MIA – Kala
3. Bat for Lashes – Fur and Gold
2. Justice – †
1. Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger

MoreYeah, that's right, Ryan Adams is the man. I could (and have) listen to this album over and over and over again on repeat and still not get tired of it. To me, it is one of his best works and definitely one of my favourites.

You guys are probably all looking at my list like I'm crazy. I know. I really do have an eclectic taste in music. What can I say? I like to party!

Other Releases I Really Enjoyed
Comeback Kid - Broadcasting
Modest Mouse – We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank
Beirut - Flying Cup Club
Ted Leo & the Pharmacists – Living with the Living
Lewis & Clarke – Blasts of Holy Birth
Digitalism - Idealism
Caribou - Andorra
Meneguar – Strangers In Our House
Dear and the Headlights – Small Steps Heavy Hooves
Every Time I Die – The Big Dirty
Dashboard Confessional – The Shade of Poison Trees
Honorary Title – Scream and Light Up the Sky
Dungen – Tio Bitar
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
Les Savy Fav - Let's Stay Friends
Liars – s/t
Daggermouth - Turf Wars
Clear Tigers - Brutal
Chromeo – Fancy Footwork
Maxïmo Park - Our Earthly Pleasures

MoreTo be honest, I didn't listen to THAT much new music this year for which I feel very bad about. Not that the music that I heard released this year was bad or anything, I just had this weird urge to revisit old favourites of years gone by. There were a lot of albums that I enjoyed listening to so limiting myself to 25 was quite hard indeed.

Best Live Shows of 2007
2007 was a really good year for live music, at least for Calgary that is. It's great having bigger profile bands come to town.
1. Brand New - May 12, Macewen Hall
2. Justice - October 13, Commodore Ballroom
3. Taking Back Sunday/Underoath - March 21, Stampede Corral
4. Destroyer/Chad VanGaalen - June 28, Grace Baptist
5. Les Savy Fav - June 30, Macewen Hall
6. Cat Power - June 27, Knox United Church
7. Chromeo - October 6, Warehouse
8. Daggermouth/This is Hell/Comeback Kid - April 23, Warehouse

MoreLike I said before, I don't really like making lists... let's just say that I had a great year of music in 2007. I'm DEFINITELY looking forward to the new year!

Poochemist 12/27/07 06:37 AM

Eclectic is the way to go.

InaGreendase 12/27/07 12:59 PM

Your list is about 2 spots short of the typical indie template, but your honorable mentions list is plenty diverse. What gives?

Louise Heng 12/27/07 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InaGreendase (Post 8299400)
Your list is about 2 spots short of the typical indie template, but your honorable mentions list is plenty diverse. What gives?

because my taste, ultimately, leans a certain way? that's the only way i can explain the way my list is the way it is. working on this website obviously puts bands on my radar which explains some of the things on my honourable mentions list.

not many people know this, but i grew up in the hardcore/punk scene of my city.... but my tastes changed as i grew up.

CWeezer2 01/01/08 07:19 PM

the honorary title had my favorite live show of the year just because he was fucking hilarious throughout the entire night. glad to see their release made someone's list

punklet2101 01/02/08 04:39 AM

Louise I think your taste in music is awesome. I enjoyed your list most of all I think :-)

5. Daft Punk - Alive 2007

heck yes!

whyte39 01/04/08 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWeezer2 (Post 8330102)
the honorary title had my favorite live show of the year just because he was fucking hilarious throughout the entire night. glad to see their release made someone's list

they had one of my favourite shows as well. but moreso because they played straight up acoustic, and jarrods voice blew me away. I had never listened to them prior to that night.

Also I'm glad to see that someone finally gave props to Scream & Light Up The Sky, even if it is only an Honorable Mention.

catscradle 01/06/08 09:40 PM

Easy tiger is such a solid album. It's so true about listening to it over and over again. It's short enough and well mixed in tempo that you don't get tired of it so it stays fresh as you listen, so by the time it ends and the album starts over again and you hear the opening to goodnight rose you're like, " hey i can totally listen to this again."