AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  I Call Fives - I Call Fives (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2821172)

cut!print 07/15/12 09:07 PM

I Call Fives - I Call Fives

I Call Fives - I Call Fives
Record Label: PureNoise Records
Release Date: July 10, 2012

Just when I thought decent Pop-Punk music was lost in a Wonder Years abyss, New Jersey natives, I Call Fives, release one of the catchiest and most prominent releases of 2012, hell maybe even in this past year or so. To think it's only their debut LP makes me excited to see where these promising young men will be in just a few years.

Now as we all know this is Pop-Punk, you're not going to hear any crazy solos or melt your face off vocals because that's just not what Pop-Punk is; Pop-Punk is stricken with power chords, catchy chorus' and tunes that just plain out make you want to jump. I Call Fives does not disappoint if this is exactly what you're looking for. There is an undeniable consistency through out the entire record, it never lets up not even for a second and while it may upset others it works for myself. What you're hearing is exactly what Pop-Punk music was built upon and what made it great in the first place.

Starting with possibly the best song on the entire album always throws me off, but "Late Nights" kicks off with blistering drums and an edgy chorus that will get stuck in your head for days, it has that epic flow to it that never lets up and instantly sinks it's teeth in to lead you on to the rest of album without a doubt that you're not going to love this shit. I've always been a pretty loyal fan to I Call Fives but if you are someone who looked the other way to their previous work, I suggest checking this out. It has more intensity and tight musicianship than anything they've previously created. See track #3 "Backup Plan" which was previously released on their Someone That's Not You EP and here again for good reasons, with excellent vocal work from Jeff Todd that especially shines through the chorus showcasing that these guys know what they want and are more than happy to share it with the world, "And I don't think that I can stand / knowing I was a backup plan / and I told you once before / I don't want to feel that way anymore / so I'll let you go / and give it everything I've got to never come back home" I'm sure everyone has probably had similar feelings to these before and I don't think I could have said it better than he did myself.

As a whole, I Call Fives more than stand above some of their peers and should go down as one of the greats of this bleak age for Pop-Punk, Jeff Todd (lead vocalist) is certainly the standout here, he has great range and is able to hit high notes without sounding whiny or insincere, so many bands these days just sound like their trying to be something but it's safe to say that I Call Fives aren't trying to be anything except themselves. Don't be confused though, they have excellent, fast paced drumming and melodies that can (and have for myself) be left ringing in your ears when you least expect it.

"Haven't we gone over this before? / we tried a million times so whats once more? / and I'll tell you now, no more bringing me down / not today / not today" closer All You've Got Left rings to end off the album on the same high note it began. I'm telling you, if you want to go back to the days when Pop-Punk was what it's supposed to be, but also yearn for something refreshing and fun, check out I Call Fives Self-Titled debut album, it will have you hitting repeat for days and ending your long summer nights with a bang.

Recommended If You LikeAll Time Low - Put Up Or Shut Up; real, refreshing Pop-Punk; Hit The Lights; PureNoise Records; The Years Gone By

pepster50 07/16/12 07:15 PM

Had no idea who these guys were when i listened to their album. Glad i found it ! Good review

Psib 07/16/12 09:59 PM

love this album! ive been a fan of these guys for a while now

cut!print 07/17/12 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepster50 (Post 110701222)
Had no idea who these guys were when i listened to their album. Glad i found it ! Good review

Thank you, it's only my second one ever but I felt I did them some justice.

laxcrs 07/18/12 10:51 AM

if you like this check out their old eps, some of the catchiest songs ive heard in a long time

laxcrs 07/18/12 10:52 AM

also they are a blast live