AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  New Swellers Song, EP & Tour Info (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2885292)

suicidalmoose 09/10/12 05:58 PM

cool song, excited for the EP. hoping for a my everest kind of thing

ACA 09/10/12 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomer08 (Post 112834342)
What the fuck is GME? And why do you want them to just keep making the same record over and over? Don't you like bands to explore new sounds and evolve and grow? GFM is absolutely amazing. I hope they continue down that path instead of making a bunch of new fast songs just for the sake of being fast.

Thanks for correcting me, I was mis-acronym..izing(?) it. The common argument is always your second sentence..

Some bands are good at many sounds; some bands aren't. The Swellers failed with GFM, in my opinion. It's that simple. It should have to go without saying "music is subjective", "opinions", etc. I don't think you're making a case for GFM as much as you are making a case for "they tried to change, good for them!".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Searos (Post 112834432)
Good For Me was great and so were Ups and Down and My Everest. I am honestly stoke to hear more from this band. They have such a solid sound that just is so well done that it does not come off as overplayed. I even ordered that 7" that released recently. I think this band reminds me of why of No Use For A Name which honestly is one of my favorite bands and so more material is always good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Searos (Post 112834632)
I think Good For Me had a great mix of their sound with more rock elements. There was something to love in even the slower down songs. I personally enjoy the faster songs most but its impossible to say there are days when a slowed down jam is not what we need. Prime Meridian was awesome yet gets no love. The album had stuff for everyone and if they return to form they will still be loved but people need to be a bit more receptive to change if done well. Honestly slowing it down a little bit while retaining the core of their style was not that much of change.

Just to respond to this particularly, I think the band failed because the songs aren't good. They fail to grip me on any level. I think the songwriting is extremely lazy and the performance on record sounds like a band who suddenly didn't want to put as much effort in this time around. It's not refined; it's certainly not unique outside of the singer's vocals which pin it squarely on The Swellers -- the music could have been done by a plethora of bands.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PirateSkater182 (Post 112836042)
I can agree with this. Sometimes I'm not in a fast paced song mood, and I still get to listen to Swellers. That album is great in my opinion, but I love everything this band does.

It's awesome that a band mixes fast and slow; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

It's cool that you guys want to have a discussion..

What specifically do you like about GFM, aside from the fact that it's cool that the band tried a different style?

NickIsI 09/10/12 06:03 PM

Love the song, pre-ordered the vinyl.

Anybody else sick of Diamond changing their name? DMND, then it was Diamond, DMND Youth, Diamond Youth? Who's keeping track of this? Holy shit.

Jaytothesyg 09/10/12 06:23 PM

The song is so good, pre-ordered the Orange.

Can't wait for the tour either, awesome lineup

Searos 09/10/12 06:27 PM

Can't wait for this to come out. Got orange as well!

Christian Wagner 09/10/12 06:39 PM

Damn. This song. Awesome.

xsandwichesx 09/10/12 06:40 PM

lol at ACA getting called out on twitter.

stereokiller 09/10/12 06:40 PM

Personally I loved GFM a lot. Preach.

kaylasananjou 09/10/12 06:42 PM

AP.net user ACA pretends to understand anything about writing music and because he personally didn't like the album, considers it a complete and utter failure. Get the fuck out of here, dude.

It's nice to see so many people sticking up for the album though. It was easily as good, if not better, than their other releases. They worked so hard on it, and were so passionate about it. If you can't see the merit in those songs, especially "Warming Up" and "The Best I Ever Had", you are utterly insane.

ctigers92 09/10/12 06:52 PM

Digging the new song but still loved the progression from Ups and Downsizing to Good For Me. Both are great albums. Met them in February, some of the best guys in music. They were all spending intentional time with the fans after the show.

boymeetsworld 09/10/12 06:55 PM

They currently have the number 1 record on band camp but one person speaking negatively on their last album gets heat for it? Come on. Not everyone is going to worship EVERYTHING you do.

saddr weirdr 09/10/12 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACA (Post 112837682)
It's awesome that a band mixes fast and slow; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

It's cool that you guys want to have a discussion..

What specifically do you like about GFM, aside from the fact that it's cool that the band tried a different style?

I didn't like GFM because it was "different" from their other releases. In fact, I'm normally not a fan of bands changing up their style just for the sake of it. Even if you didn't like it, it's hard to understand how you can't see its merit as a solid rock record. The first half of the album isn't that much different from U&D, just a bit slicker and slowed down. It's solid pop punk. Best I Ever Had is one of the catchiest, most provoking, pop punk songs of the past five years (imo). Some of those songs, especially 'Warming Up,' grip me on every possible level.

Maybe you got the laid back/lazy feeling because Nick sang lower on it? I know the band put everything they had into GFM, probably more than any of their previous releases.

saddr weirdr 09/10/12 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickIsI (Post 112837762)
Love the song, pre-ordered the vinyl.

Anybody else sick of Diamond changing their name? DMND, then it was Diamond, DMND Youth, Diamond Youth? Who's keeping track of this? Holy shit.

Diamond Youths is next up

francescaa 09/10/12 07:03 PM

I actually, legitimately really love Good For Me. Nothing about 'trying new things' or anything like that, I just really connect with the vibe of it and lyrics and the whole feel of the record. I don't understand why it didn't blow up and get huge, I thought it had all the potential but still felt like a really direct and personal album, if that makes sense.

Absolutely stoked for the new EP, going to order one of the bundles asap.

francescaa 09/10/12 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkim4007 (Post 112840212)
I didn't like GFM because it was "different" from their other releases. In fact, I'm normally not a fan of bands changing up their style just for the sake of it. Even if you didn't like it, it's hard to understand how you can't see its merit as a solid rock record. The first half of the album isn't that much different from U&D, just a bit slicker and slowed down. It's solid pop punk. Best I Ever Had is one of the catchiest, most provoking, pop punk songs of the past five years (imo). Some of those songs, especially 'Warming Up,' grip me on every possible level.

Maybe you got the laid back/lazy feeling because Nick sang lower on it? I know the band put everything they had into GFM, probably more than any of their previous releases.

I should have just waited for this to be posted because it's exactly what I was trying to say. Great record.