AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Interviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
  -  Slaves to the Pavement - 10.01.12 (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2908002)

Jeremy Aaron 10/01/12 09:23 PM

Slaves to the Pavement - 10.01.12

The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Slaves to the Pavement

http://slavestothepavement.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/slavestothepavement

1. How did you get your band name?

We're all pretty huge fans of Belvedere, and that era of late 90s-into-00s punk, so with Belvedere and their song "Slaves to the Pavement" being mutually a favorite among the band, we settled on just that.

2. How did this band get started?

Rian and I (Rob) have been friends for about a decade and our friendship was founded on a similar and growing interest in music. We got into a lot of the bands we worship together and he had just started playing guitar around that time. Long story short, after each of us getting a feel for being in bands, he, my brother Nick, and our friend John Clark, started jamming while on acid one night. I was in a local hardcore band at the time and Rian was impressed with my writing and such and asked me to join their band. First practice went better than anyone expected and the rest is history.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

There are a shit ton of bands that influence us, as well as just about every genre of music has something that one us grabs something from. I'd say the bands that
influence our sound are Belvedere, Wilhelm Scream, Propagandhi, Much the Same, Rise Against, Good Riddance, Hot Water Music, Sublime, the Flatliners, Dead to Me, and Bigwig, among many others.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they
be and why?

Well, I can only really speak for myself but I would say the perfect tour would include AWS, Belvedere, and Good Riddance. All three of those bands are where I get a large portion of my influence, and are a big reason why this band exists, so to share the road with them and play alongside them would be fucking rad, obviously.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

Free food is the best food.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

I like to believe that we bring a fresh rehash of what a lot of people ground their influences on, just like the way we do. I like to believe that we play to our
generation and hit on a near-nostalgia, while still remaining current and not completely outdated and overdone.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places
with?

Bob Probert. And you don't need an explanation why.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

People who bought our record and supported us for us to even get a Grammy. Probably the music industry for not sucking so bad if we're able to compete against
Nickelback.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would
it be?

Well, the music industry isn't making money anymore, so instead of attacking all of the pirates, find a way to mold into what's working for independent artists and labels. Learn new strategies. And fucking stop cramming garbage down people's throats. The FCC should accept more local and independent artists for the national and local airwaves. More local and independent artists deserve more attention, outside of the internet.

10. Memorable tour experience?

We've only visited the Upper Peninsula. We'll save that question for a future time.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

AP.net houses a ridiculously solid outlet for punk and independent artists' news, releases, and such, and is open to it all. That means a lot to me and should mean a lot to all struggling bands that deserve attention, not saying we do, but not many outlets are as open and accepting as such.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

My favorite song to play currently is Late Nite Gun Fight with Jimmy Fallon or Grow On.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

New Orleans, LA during Mardi Gras. Frenchmen St. fucking rules.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Fat Wreck comps, Blink 182, and anytime I hear Saves the Day, Alk3, NUFAN, and NOFX

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Honestly, as a childhood Batman fan, I'd like some serious detective and logic skills, and would be like the Riddler, Why? Because the idea of controlling the fate of lives by their level of logic, while wearing green tights, sounds fucking rad.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

No, but I fucking wish we did. We're such an awkward band during that moment before we start the first song.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

I have to shit pretty badly every time we play.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

The current state of radio, to me, seems like an impossible outlet to be relevant
anymore. It's been taken over by Top 40s, Smooth Jazz, or stations that play Train and Matchbox 20 all day. I don't even think our band fits on the local "alternative rock" station with all the Tool, Trapt, Nickelback, and Evanescence.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

I personally have picked up soapmaking for my free time. That's pretty fucking solid. Everyone else is using doing shit musically with others or writing songs for our band.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

Troy builds guitars.

RFS_ma1987 10/02/12 10:25 AM

Slavesto the pavement

My son and his friend Rob(surrogate son),are very talented young guys.They're music is real and true to what's going on around them.Everything they do is true life and from the heart.I may be a mom and a little patial to my boys,but they are very talented and everyone needs to see them play.I'm not a hard-core punk rocker,but I do listen to good music and I believe that they will get to be amazing artists and move on to bigger and better adventures.The interview is true and no bull shit.They are devoted and are very grateful for the fans they have.Everyone go and see them perform,you won't be dissappointed...THIS IS A FACT!Check out there Face book page.