AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Radiohead "Austin City Limits" Episode [Video] (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2914972)

Chris Collum 10/08/12 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crackedthesky (Post 113960772)
How is it irresponsible, amateur, and sensationalist to report what someone said verbatim on video in front of the entire country?

This x1000000000000

Simulcast 10/08/12 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crackedthesky (Post 113960772)
How is it irresponsible, amateur, and sensationalist to report what someone said verbatim on video in front of the entire country?

Probably because it wasn't "verbatim".

Quote:

I’m sorry Jim, I’m gonna stop the subsidy to PBS. I like PBS. I love Big Bird. I actually like you, too. But I’m not gonna keep on spending money on things to borrow money from China to pay for it.”

Stopping the subsidy to PBS does not equal Romney cutting PBS, or us losing Radiohead videos.

And for the record, I think it was a stupid thing for Romney to say. Most of what he says is stupid.

crackedthesky 10/08/12 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simulcast (Post 113960912)
Probably because it wasn't "verbatim".



Stopping the subsidy to PBS does not equal Romney shutting it down, or us losing Radiohead videos.

And for the record, I think it was a stupid thing for Romney to say. Most of what he says is stupid.


Nobody in the thread said he would shut it down. The only term used in that chain of comments was "cut."

Simulcast 10/08/12 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crackedthesky (Post 113961052)
Nobody in the thread said he would shut it down. The only term used in that chain of comments was "cut."

Replace shutting down with "cutting", then. I will edit my post to reflect this. Point still stands.

crackedthesky 10/08/12 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simulcast (Post 113961132)
Replace shutting down with "cutting", then. I will edit my post to reflect this. Point still stands.


Ending subsidies = cutting. Your point's still wrong.

Edit: actually it doesn't, ignore this post.

In any case, Romney wants to eliminate government support for PBS, so saying PBS may not exist after that isn't "irresponsible" since as I understand it that's how PBS continues to operate.

I also object to call this "irresponsible" but turn around and act like cutting subsidies to PBS will have any effect at all on the 5 trillion the kid I quoted is so upset about.

Simulcast 10/08/12 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crackedthesky (Post 113961212)
Ending subsidies = cutting. Your point's still wrong.

Edit: actually it doesn't, ignore this post.

Actually, the point of the post was that Jason didn't report what Romney said "verbatim" in a video as you implied, unless the meaning of the word has changed. That remains unchanged regardless of the argument over cutting, shutting down.

crackedthesky 10/08/12 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simulcast (Post 113961352)
Actually, the point of the post was that Jason didn't report what Romney said "verbatim" in a video as you implied, unless the meaning of the word has changed. That remains unchanged regardless of the argument over cutting, shutting down.


Jason didn't "report" at all so maybe you should take your semantic nitpicking to the guy who used that term in the first place :shrug:

Edit: My foot must taste great today. I was on mobile and this whole thing showed up as a forum post, not a news article, which is also why when that kid said "this reporting" I thought he meant the general discussion of Romney's comments in news media. My bad.

Chris Collum 10/08/12 11:42 AM

Semantics arguments aside, Romney's still a dumb fuck and NPR and PBS and Radiohead are still awesome.

Jason Tate 10/08/12 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simulcast (Post 113961352)
Actually, the point of the post was that Jason didn't report what Romney said "verbatim" in a video as you implied, unless the meaning of the word has changed. That remains unchanged regardless of the argument over cutting, shutting down.

You know my post was a joke ... right? A play on the whole "killing Big Bird" thing. And stopping the subsidy would, most likely, effectively, kill the program.

Anyway, PBS' .012% of the federal budget should stay.

Simulcast 10/08/12 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate (Post 113961562)
You know my post was a joke ... right? A play on the whole "killing Big Bird" thing.

Anyway, PBS' .012% of the budget should stay.


I'm fully aware it was a joke. I agree with you as well, it's not a priority by any means. I also agree with Romney's sentiment behind the statement, but I laugh at the thought of him actually cutting total spending.

Simulcast 10/08/12 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crackedthesky (Post 113961482)
Jason didn't "report" at all so maybe you should take your semantic nitpicking to the guy who used that term in the first place :shrug:

Edit: My foot must taste great today. I was on mobile and this whole thing showed up as a forum post, not a news article, which is also why when that kid said "this reporting" I thought he meant the general discussion of Romney's comments in news media. My bad.

No worries man. I was just about to post that I thought that either you or I were confused initially.

loveisdead 10/08/12 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knash9 (Post 113960392)
This could be fun.

Politics on here outside our General Thread are generally a miserable endeavor.

kianacarly 10/08/12 12:06 PM

Awesome. I love when they air these episodes.

/non political comment

dallad00003 10/08/12 12:10 PM

does anyone know the post rock style intro song.

billcom6 10/08/12 12:18 PM

PBS only gets like 15% of its money from the federal government to begin with. So even if that gets cut it's not like PBS will suddenly disappear from the face of the Earth.

P.S. - Radiohead sucks.