AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Green Day Release "Stray Heart" (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2915582)

brook183 10/08/12 08:06 PM

Band is consistently boring.

brook183 10/08/12 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrewsMannequin (Post 113984432)
Wow. Just wow. This is what the people on this site are becoming? You're trying a little too hard to be hipster.

lmao

brook183 10/08/12 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djrossstar2009 (Post 113980802)
Uno! is incredible. It upsets me that it has become trendy in 2012 to hate on Green Day. These same people also complained about AI/21CB being too serious & political and kept wishing GD would make another Dookie -- Then they make Uno! which sounds like Dookie/Nimrod and the same people say, "I hate it. Sounds so simple compared to AI/21CB. No originality."

These SAME people claim Warning is their favorite album, meanwhile, that album sold the least so what are the odds that EVERYONE loved it the most!?

Lmao again. Trendy? Maybe people just think it sucks.

iseejosh 10/08/12 08:11 PM

I wish Blink-182 would release 3 albums instead

Steeeve Perry 10/08/12 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djrossstar2009 (Post 113981142)
Thanks TDLyon.

Been a fan since 1994 so I have heard it all. Stray Heart sounds like a mainstream hit. I can picture it on the radio 20 years from now. I think the real issue is that 99% of people on the site love Blink-182 more. They would never dare say that Blink put out a bad song.

Yeah, say what you want about PN.org but I trust their users' judgement on most music more than I do the users here and they have been high on the trilogy thus far. Nightlife sounds awful but my iPod and my CD player both have skip buttons. Some of my favourite records of all time have songs I don't love.

Thomas Nassiff 10/08/12 08:30 PM

This song isn't that great. Decent but really what are people considering good in the Green Day camp these days? I like most of Uno! better than this.

Thomas Nassiff 10/08/12 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwerty22 (Post 113980652)
For those of you with high hopes for Dos...

holy shit that's bad

Trevor Sostarich 10/08/12 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iseejosh (Post 113987202)

They know better! They'll work on one solid album instead of rushing three albums and putting out shit work.

RoKKeR 10/08/12 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djrossstar2009 (Post 113980802)
Uno! is incredible. It upsets me that it has become trendy in 2012 to hate on Green Day. These same people also complained about AI/21CB being too serious & political and kept wishing GD would make another Dookie -- Then they make Uno! which sounds like Dookie/Nimrod and the same people say, "I hate it. Sounds so simple compared to AI/21CB. No originality."

These SAME people claim Warning is their favorite album, meanwhile, that album sold the least so what are the odds that EVERYONE loved it the most!?

I'm in agreement with you, my man. I thought Uno! was a solid, rock album. I have no complaints about it really. Even Kill the DJ is a fun song to come across on shuffle every once in a while. I've been a fan of old and new Green Day, so I suppose I'm in the minority here but I have enjoyed most of what they've put out recently. There have been some really solid song.s

Anyways, "Stray Heart" was awesome. Really enjoyed it. Also liked what I heard of Lazy Bones. Dos! is shaping up nicely. I am hyped for Tre!

Matt Chylak 10/08/12 08:51 PM

Quote:

I love this, actually.

JunkBondTrader 10/08/12 09:05 PM

wow that nightlife song is god awful.

stray heart is a solid song. but i mean, nothing earth shattering.

Robb 10/08/12 09:05 PM

I don't like some of BJ's inflections during the verses (especially the "Never let you go" part), but overall I really like it. The bouncy bass in the verses is fun, and I'm loving that chorus.

Robb 10/08/12 09:07 PM

And I'm now listening to Nightlife.

Jeez. I like the bass line and I also like... I guess I only like the bass line.

This is dreadful.

wtfjaked 10/08/12 09:14 PM

I don't think it's trendy to hate them. I just don't like how they sound now. Not trying to be a hipster, I just don't think what they're releasing sounds good. People are funny.

jwicklun 10/08/12 09:14 PM

Not bad.

TheRealJohnOC 10/08/12 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate (Post 113979772)
Wait, this is good? Bar has been infinitely lowered after Uno I guess.

Are you unaware that James Cameron raised the bar? He did that because James Cameron doesn't do what James Cameron does for James Cameron. James Cameron does what James Cameron does because James Cameron is... James Cameron.

Joey-Wan Kenobi 10/08/12 09:23 PM

Only as good as the worst song? That's a strange rationale there bub.
Quote:

Originally Posted by qwerty22 (Post 113981482)
Understandable, but I personally can't do that. I always think an album is only as good as its worst song. Sure there will be a few decent tracks on each of the three albums, but I'm not willing to pay for something when it has this kind of filler.

qwerty22 10/08/12 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey-Wan Kenobi (Post 113992502)
Only as good as the worst song? That's a strange rationale there bub.

Not really. An album can't be considered great if it has a shitty song on it. It has to be more than just a collection of songs with some ok, some good, and some duds for me to not consider it a waste of time. Less is more, and Green Day should have trimmed the fat with this release.

whitelightning7 10/08/12 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duritzfan13 (Post 113984752)
I actually really dig this. It's got a cool Gorillaz vibe to it.

This is really bad.

randys950 10/08/12 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duritzfan13 (Post 113984752)
I actually really dig this. It's got a cool Gorillaz vibe to it.

only one of two things are possible here
1. you are a robot
2 you have no soul.

brokencyde 10/08/12 10:17 PM

I like this, at least it doesn't sound like anything else released under the "Green Day" label. Not a fan of Uno at all.

punchlinekid182 10/08/12 11:36 PM

they should've just taken the 3 best songs off all 3 records and made and ep.

trevorshmevor 10/09/12 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealJohnOC (Post 113992112)
Are you unaware that James Cameron raised the bar? He did that because James Cameron doesn't do what James Cameron does for James Cameron. James Cameron does what James Cameron does because James Cameron is... James Cameron.

I'm glad someone said it, so that I didn't have to.

Anyway, I didn't think this song was bad. I wouldn't call it really good or anything, but it certainly isn't upsetting either.

Nathanie1 10/09/12 03:45 AM

duritzfan13 10/09/12 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keagan Ilvonen (Post 113985112)
Um...what?

I actually gave it a chance this time. I've probably pressed play on it like 200 times and stopped it after 3 seconds because of how awful I thought it was. I listened to the whole thing last night and actually liked it! Then again I like Kill The DJ and Troublemaker.. I guess I like change. Maybe if these songs came out from a different band people would like them more.

punkcrap 10/09/12 04:48 AM

C'mon people, I get the criticism for Uno!, but this song is classic GD. Ok, it sounds like a good b-side, but anyway, it's really enjoyable. Great bass line, and the verses made me smile.

Kris_Gontz9 10/09/12 05:35 AM

I'm actually one of the ones who really enjoyed 21CB, maybe it's a bit too long but there are some fantastic tracks there, and it's not an "easy album" like Uno... I just can't understand why after doing 2 "Rock Operas" complex as they were in that genre, they resorted to making the lazy shitfest of Uno... but i guess they just wanted to Let Go and have fun, and IMO the result is awful.

They just lowered the bar too much. I still think you can create something light without getting to these levels of self-parody and recycling...

SteveLikesMusic 10/09/12 05:41 AM

Love it!

XenoAbe 10/09/12 06:07 AM

Good grief! Reading this thread is like watching a teenage girl trying to figure out what shoes to wear.

They're one of the most successful rock bands in the last 20 years. They make a ton of different kinds of songs. I personally was not a fan of 21CB or American Idiot, but I'm kind of enjoying this new stuff. It's essentially a triple disc album so it's almost guaranteed to have some hot garbage mixed in there somewhere. Just pick out the stuff you like, don't take it too seriously, listen to it, and STFU.

weirderthanu210 10/09/12 06:49 AM

Wait a minute...isn't that bassline used in that Jet song, like as the entire song?

jdr277 10/09/12 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdlyon (Post 113979552)
This song is fucking fantastic. It's a perfect blend of Foxboro Hot Tubs and Green Day's signature pop punk. Amazing song.

Came in here to say this! I heard FHT in like the first 10 secs. This is better than all of Uno!

246toothpicks 10/09/12 07:12 AM

This is boring. Half the time I'm hearing mediocre versions of their old songs, the other half they're trying too hard to find a new sound. They need to spend more time writing what they like and less time churning out triple albums that span 3 different genres.

pucky 10/09/12 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 246toothpicks (Post 114000942)
This is boring. Half the time I'm hearing mediocre versions of their old songs, the other half they're trying too hard to find a new sound. They need to spend more time writing what they like and less time churning out triple albums that span 3 different genres.

And what's the point of writing what they like if every time they try it in a new direction (Nightlife, Kill the DJ) everyone looses their asses to criticize them?
And who are you to say that this is not what they want/like to write? Do you think there is someone pulling a gun against their heads and forcing them to release this songs?

Your post is just another silly way of saying "I just want them to release what I would like them to do, and nothing more".

246toothpicks 10/09/12 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pucky (Post 114001302)
And what's the point of writing what they like if every time they try it in a new direction (Nightlife, Kill the DJ) everyone looses their asses to criticize them?
And who are you to say that this is not what they want/like to write? Do you think there is someone pulling a gun against their heads and forcing them to release this songs?

Your post is just another silly way of saying "I just want them to release what I would like them to do, and nothing more".

It just sounds very uninspired to me, so it comes off sounding rehashed. But then they'll take it in a completely different direction with no real natural progression, so it sounds forced. Kind of a weird back and forth with different musical styles.

pucky 10/09/12 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 246toothpicks (Post 114001642)
It just sounds very uninspired to me, so it comes off sounding rehashed. But then they'll take it in a completely different direction with no real natural progression, so it sounds forced. Kind of a weird back and forth with different musical styles.

Personally, I think that's exactly the point. Some songs of this trilogy have a similar sound to their old stuff, other belong to the FBHT sound, other ones are in a completely different style... I just can't see uninspired so much variety, it´s like a review of everything they've ever done in their career, plus some new things (but that's just my opinion).

Regarding Nightlife...well, obviously they are not going to make the greatest "rap" song ever, it's not their style, but I find it a pretty interesting experiment, catchy and innovating. I don't think it deserves so much hate, and I have the feeling that it is getting it because it is not the usual GD style, which seems to be what most of this forum want them to stick in (nevertheless this site is called "absolutepunk" for one reason).

Jasper112 10/09/12 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iseejosh (Post 113987202)

Yes please

tefarez 10/09/12 08:22 AM

Lazy Bones was great, didnt dig this one so much

Simulcast 10/09/12 08:35 AM

That was terrible.

Holly HoX! 10/09/12 08:36 AM

Insomniac

Drew Beringer 10/09/12 09:09 AM

PaperLantern 10/09/12 10:31 AM

Quote:

You know, I think I would really like this song if it wasn't for the chick rapping. The Billie Joe parts are fine by me. Either way, I'm excited for Dos, and I loved Uno.

PaperLantern 10/09/12 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 246toothpicks (Post 114000942)

And who are you to say that Uno isn't what Billie Joe wants to write? You're almost contradicting yourself, complaining about a band not writing songs that you like. Green Day's writing exactly what they want to.

Joey-Wan Kenobi 10/09/12 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwerty22 (Post 113993042)
Not really. An album can't be considered great if it has a shitty song on it. It has to be more than just a collection of songs with some ok, some good, and some duds for me to not consider it a waste of time. Less is more, and Green Day should have trimmed the fat with this release.

I feel ya. I just won't dismiss an album because of a couple duds. I also won't call an album great.
I think green day could have made 1 album that woulda been killer with all these songs, but the concept it interesting...i guess.

FUCKDIRTYWIPES 10/09/12 10:39 AM

Not bad. Def better then Uno!

FTank 10/09/12 10:56 AM

Wow. I really like this and I hated Uno!.

evanmeindl 10/09/12 11:07 AM

This song is so good!

kevinrguinn 10/09/12 11:09 AM

not sure I like this.

harley7733 10/09/12 11:11 AM

This may be the best song theyve released in 10 years.

drudo182 10/09/12 11:20 AM

Bleh. Song sucks.

ExtremeAvalanch 10/09/12 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shwaz499 (Post 113981592)
plenty? maybe 2-3 off the last album... but I mean I don't think there's one bad (as in generally disliked) song on self titled, TOYPAJI, or enema.

So Green Day is irrelevant, and Blink never released a bad song? Get a CT scan.