AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Taylor Swift Releases "I Knew You Were Trouble" (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2915762)

Keagan Ilvonen 10/08/12 10:30 PM

Taylor Swift Releases "I Knew You Were Trouble"
 
You can stream Taylor Swift's new single "I Knew You Were Trouble" here.

Submitted by EndlessPrisoner

Keagan Ilvonen 10/08/12 10:34 PM

WUBBBBBBBBBB WUBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB. Still think it's catchy as fuck.

Joe DeAndrea 10/08/12 10:48 PM

max martin is a god

Archael 10/08/12 10:51 PM

song fucking rules. the bass drops in the chorus were not nearly as obnoxious as I thought it would have been... first chorus reminds me of haunted a little bit. catchy as fuck [2]

maybe there's hope for this album after all.

EndlessPrisoner 10/08/12 10:52 PM

This is my favorite TaySwift song ever. I don't even know why. but it is.
also SUBMITCRED.

Spenny 10/08/12 10:55 PM

Great track, it's clearly Taylor but branches out beyond her typical pop-country comfort zone.

Archael 10/08/12 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spenny (Post 113993672)
Great track, it's clearly Taylor but branches out beyond her typical pop-country comfort zone.

It's funny because she insists and tells everybody that she's country-pop...

but she has barely ever had any country in her music. Mostly in her first album but even then, much much more pop than country.

Freshman15Davey 10/08/12 11:00 PM

Y E FUCKING S

Spenny 10/08/12 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archael (Post 113993722)
It's funny because she insists and tells everybody that she's country-pop...

but she has barely ever had any country in her music. Mostly in her first album but even then, much much more pop than country.

I agree that her music is more pop than country, but she does have some country-driven tracks that she kind of falls back on. I feel like the slight use of dubstep in this song makes it quite different than anything she has released in the past, which is a good thing.

trevorshmevor 10/08/12 11:24 PM

Eh, the verses are a little too different from the chorus for my liking. I dig the dubstep type of chorus she has going on, but it just doesn't fit right with the cutesy palm muting verses IMO. Awkward transitions all around.

Fringe 10/08/12 11:25 PM

I like it. Nothing country about it, which is kinda sad.

Symphonicaxiom 10/08/12 11:32 PM

oh my yes.

kianacarly 10/08/12 11:33 PM

I really really enjoy it. I'm actually kind of liking the diversity the tracks released seem to have so far. This shows she can actually be kind of ~edgy. I am in love with it. Just when I start to write her off again, she releases this and Begin Again. So far those are the only two tracks released off Red that I like, but I guess there are a lot more to come haha. Almost makes up for Never Ever.

loudasallgetout 10/08/12 11:38 PM

Uhmmm Paramore?

Archael 10/08/12 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loudasallgetout (Post 113994722)
Uhmmm Paramore?


kianacarly 10/08/12 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archael (Post 113994822)

Oh god, this piece of trash... let's just pretend it doesn't exist.

Archael 10/08/12 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kianacarly (Post 113994902)
Oh god, this piece of trash... let's just pretend it doesn't exist.

What are you talking about? It's an awesome song. blah blah paramore blah blah disrespectful

irthesteve 10/08/12 11:55 PM

Lights.

kianacarly 10/08/12 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archael (Post 113994922)
What are you talking about? It's an awesome song. blah blah paramore blah blah disrespectful

Awful, disgusting song. Bitter her boyfriend dumped her so she's calling the other girl a slut. Immature, condescending, and bitter. Just the same reason Paramore's Misery Business is awful. Pick on the guy who dumped/rejected you, but leave the other girl out of it imo. Same reason I don't like You Belong With Me (picking on the girl who has done nothing to her instead of disliking the guy for passing her up). Nobody can "steal" your boyfriend. idk idk I clearly have a lot of feelings, but I am not here for songs like that. I think it reinforces some unhealthy lines of thinking.

I do like some of her other songs, but when it comes to that one it pushes a button haha

Archael 10/09/12 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kianacarly (Post 113995102)
Awful, disgusting song. Bitter her boyfriend dumped her so she's calling the other girl a slut. Immature, condescending, and bitter. Just the same reason Paramore's Misery Business is awful. Pick on the guy who dumped/rejected you, but leave the other girl out of it imo. Same reason I don't like You Belong With Me (picking on the girl who has done nothing to her instead of disliking the guy for passing her up). Nobody can "steal" your boyfriend. idk idk I clearly have a lot of feelings, but I am not here for songs like that. I think it reinforces some unhealthy lines of thinking.

I do like some of her other songs, but when it comes to that one it pushes a button haha

yeah I get that but to be honest, that was the song that very much surprised me. I did not expect that from taylor swift and it is because of that song that I decided to listen to her other songs and figured out that I actually do like her music (mostly speak now only, not so much the others).

I can acknowledge that her lyrics/subject matter aren't the best but she is extremely catchy and crafts some of the best and most memorable pop melodies I've heard.

kianacarly 10/09/12 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archael (Post 113995202)
yeah I get that but to be honest, that was the song that very much surprised me. I did not expect that from taylor swift and it is because of that song that I decided to listen to her other songs and figured out that I actually do like her music (mostly speak now only, not so much the others).

I can acknowledge that her lyrics/subject matter aren't the best but she is extremely catchy and crafts some of the best and most memorable pop melodies I've heard.

Oh yeah, I would never deny her talent for songwriting. I don't even just pick on her with that - I have a problem when anyone releases a song like that. I get being upset at the girl, but that was just so harsh omg. Like, I don't mind when she slams her exes in songs, but slamming the girl isn't necessary. Be angry and bitter towards her in private or to friends, but to me once you start putting that stuff out, and other young girls adopt it as a sort of "breakup anthem" I worry it perpetuates this notion of focusing blame on the woman and not the man (obviously Taylor blames the man constantly so I'm not saying she never does). I just thought it irresponsible since I know a lot of young girls who think the song is so clever and hilarious when it is just mean and immature.

/sorry. I have a lot of feelings about those types of breakup songs - when anyone does them.


Anyway, still jamming along to the new song on repeat!

Who Is Ryan? 10/09/12 12:13 AM

Idk, if I'd really even call this dubstep inspired but ok. I actually really dig the song

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe DeAndrea (Post 113993502)
max martin is a god


So it's confirmed that he did produce this?

With these sudden pop/electronic songs she's been doing, I wouldn't be surprised if State of Grace turned out to be a rerecorded version of this tbh


kianacarly 10/09/12 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Who Is Ryan? (Post 113995342)


Not even gonna lie, when T. Swift's tracklist was announced I put this song on repeat haha. I don't think she could touch a Britney song. Their styles are so different.

Archael 10/09/12 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kianacarly (Post 113995272)
Oh yeah, I would never deny her talent for songwriting. I don't even just pick on her with that - I have a problem when anyone releases a song like that. I get being upset at the girl, but that was just so harsh omg. Like, I don't mind when she slams her exes in songs, but slamming the girl isn't necessary. Be angry and bitter towards her in private or to friends, but to me once you start putting that stuff out, and other young girls adopt it as a sort of "breakup anthem" I worry it perpetuates this notion of focusing blame on the woman and not the man (obviously Taylor blames the man constantly so I'm not saying she never does). I just thought it irresponsible since I know a lot of young girls who think the song is so clever and hilarious when it is just mean and immature.

/sorry. I have a lot of feelings about those types of breakup songs, when anyone does them.

Funny because just in class a few days/weeks ago. A few of my friends (that are girls) exactly exclaimed "Uh, how come when a guy goes out with a girl and then the guy dumps the girl for another girl, why is it that it's the two girls that are the ones fighting? For almost every possible case, the guy is at equal fault here." A notion I'd definitely contest to.

However, one thing I've come to understand about Taylor Swift (at least on Speak Now) is that most of these songs do not directly embody her persona and/or experiences (at least not the persona she often conveys/wants us to see). Rather, they are ruminations of how she or a part of herself would handle various premises. For example, I would certainly hope that Taylor did not crash a wedding and convince a man to leave her fiance. But in Speak Now and in her other songs, the premise is there to magnify just how much she feels for this guy.

Somewhat similar to Better Than Revenge is her single Mean. She likely never said things like that to her bullies and the things mentioned in the song may have very well have never happened to her. However, she has very anti-bully notions and used the premise and summoned her smug/self-righteous persona to write that song "why ya gotta be so mean." This style is especially obvious in Never Grow Up because, well, she's not a mother...

On many points I'd agree on you but to be honest, if something similar happened to me, I'd imagine that I would be blaming the other guy for the most part.
Quote:

(obviously Taylor blames the man constantly so I'm not saying she never does)
This made me laugh pretty hard.

kianacarly 10/09/12 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archael (Post 113995482)
Funny because just in class a few days/weeks ago. A few of my friends (that are girls) exactly exclaimed "Uh, how come when a guy goes out with a girl and then the guy dumps the girl for another girl, why is it that it's the two girls that are the ones fighting? For almost every possible case, the guy is at equal fault here." A notion I'd definitely contest to.

However, one thing I've come to understand about Taylor Swift (at least on Speak Now) is that most of these songs do not directly embody her persona and/or experiences (at least not the persona she often conveys/wants us to see). Rather, they are ruminations of how she or a part of herself would handle various premises. For example, I would certainly hope that Taylor did not crash a wedding and convince a man to leave her fiance. But in Speak Now and in her other songs, the premise is there to magnify just how much she feels for this guy.

Somewhat similar to Better Than Revenge is her single Mean. She likely never said things like that to her bullies and the things mentioned in the song may have very well have never happened to her. However, she has very anti-bully notions and used the premise and summoned her smug/self-righteous persona to write that song "why ya gotta be so mean." This style is especially obvious in Never Grow Up because, well, she's not a mother...

On many points I'd agree on you but to be honest, if something similar happened to me, I'd imagine that I would be blaming the other guy for the most part.
This made me laugh pretty hard.

Yeah, it happens. I have two little sisters in middle school (they both looove Better Than Revenge too haha) who will absolutely despise a girl their crush is dating, but whenever I ask why they're not mad at the guy for dating someone else, they look at me like I'm a lunatic. I don't think Taylor herself is a mean or bad person at all - and I really don't blame her for being upset, but again, I just thought it irresponsible.

I dunno, I've been cheated on and I didn't have any hostility towards the other woman at all. It was my ex's fault 100%. She could've tried to "steal" him all she wanted, but inevitably his giving in is what happened to cause it, you know? Is it sucky for the girl to make moves on a guy who isn't available? Yes. But ultimately it's not really her fault if the man gives in. If not her, it would've been someone else. Again, not saying this is something Taylor does often, but when she does it rubs me the wrong way.


Also, I'm sorry! I'm done derailing the thread. I just really dislike that song haha.

brokencyde 10/09/12 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe DeAndrea (Post 113993502)
max martin is a god

All his songs are meh to me at first, then after 2-3 listens they suddenly become "OMG SOO GOOD". Happens every single time.

DandonTRJ 10/09/12 12:59 AM

As soon as the music kicked in, all I could think of was this goddamn Bleach song.


Wergeth 10/09/12 01:01 AM

dubstep chorus feel to it?

Amongster 10/09/12 01:01 AM

This album is going to be less cohesive than Speak Now. :-(

As for the song, the chorus and verses don't sound like they should be part of the same tune.

Jake Jenkins 10/09/12 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CallMeTroy (Post 113995902)
This album is going to be less cohesive than Speak Now. :-(

As for the song, the chorus and verses don't sound like they should be part of the same tune.

everything this post says is correct

Joe DeAndrea 10/09/12 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Who Is Ryan? (Post 113995342)
Idk, if I'd really even call this dubstep inspired but ok. I actually really dig the song



So it's confirmed that he did produce this?


http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...r-red-20120923 yep he did it. Hope him and shellback did more for the record though, way too many tracks and the 2 confirmed are too good for those to be the only ones. I like that Bhasker produced something though, that should be interesting.

mattregan 10/09/12 03:11 AM

Taylor has jumped the shark. Surprised you guys like the new tunes.

cshadows2887 10/09/12 04:13 AM

If making excellent pop songs is jumping the shark, I hope people throw sharks in the path of every artist.

mattregan 10/09/12 04:16 AM

She was a country artist. She isn't anymore.

betterthanyou99 10/09/12 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattregan (Post 113997492)
She was a country artist. She isn't anymore.


'Begin Again' disagrees.

The Gunz Show 10/09/12 06:00 AM

digging this.

- Gunz

jesse-k 10/09/12 06:34 AM

Suprisingly good.

E=MCHAMMER 10/09/12 06:35 AM

Sounds like a rejected Avril Lavigne song

Kris_Gontz9 10/09/12 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DandonTRJ (Post 113995872)
As soon as the music kicked in, all I could think of was this goddamn Bleach song.


Bleach is Awesome, So many good songs, specially the openings, (Rolling Star, Alones, chAngE, etc)

EndlessPrisoner 10/09/12 07:07 AM

Yup. Still love this.

Matt Chylak 10/09/12 07:44 AM

this is good. like, "I might buy this album" good.

tomtom94 10/09/12 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattregan (Post 113997492)
She was a country artist. She isn't anymore.

How dare an artist embrace different genres of music, eh?

theherox 10/09/12 08:06 AM

I sincerely hope this is the LAST song where she sings EE EE EE EE EE EE, just like eh eh eh eh eh in Red. haha

seems pretty good. definitely plenty of familiar melodies, but they're all tied together really well

herestoyoufla 10/09/12 08:16 AM

Really love that chorus melody and i don't even listen to Taylor Swift.

The Revisionist 10/09/12 08:47 AM

This song is terrible. I've liked the last couple though.

The Revisionist 10/09/12 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kianacarly (Post 113995102)
Awful, disgusting song. Bitter her boyfriend dumped her so she's calling the other girl a slut. Immature, condescending, and bitter. Just the same reason Paramore's Misery Business is awful. Pick on the guy who dumped/rejected you, but leave the other girl out of it imo. Same reason I don't like You Belong With Me (picking on the girl who has done nothing to her instead of disliking the guy for passing her up). Nobody can "steal" your boyfriend. idk idk I clearly have a lot of feelings, but I am not here for songs like that. I think it reinforces some unhealthy lines of thinking.

I do like some of her other songs, but when it comes to that one it pushes a button haha

You are great.

Chuck! 10/09/12 09:02 AM

Chorus is more reminiscent of Ratatat than dubstep

I dig it

derekjd 10/09/12 09:04 AM

When does this album drop?

zachff 10/09/12 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irthesteve (Post 113995002)
Lights.

Exactly my thoughts

Matt Chylak 10/09/12 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt Retenauer (Post 113999112)
Love this track. Absolutely a testament to her diversity.

People complaining about cohesion on this album ought to wait to hear more than 25% of it, and people complaining about whether or not she's country.. well, to put it simply, I'd rather argue over the Kanye thing than entertain those claims anymore. I'll never understand why people are so obsessed with pinning people to genres or why an artist who breaks through in a genre is forever confined to said genre by her fans. Like she's obliged to write country-pop for her entire career in spite of her being 8 years older.

I think we've pretty much exhausted that argument