AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  No Drummers Harmed in the Making of These Songs (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2920142)

Alex DiVincenzo 10/12/12 01:27 PM

No Drummers Harmed in the Making of These Songs

The Ataris posted two new songs on bandcamp.

JamesMichael 10/12/12 01:29 PM

Hey wheres my thanks Alex for submitting this? ;-) Really enjoying the re-recording of Fast Times at Dropout High.

Jared Luttrell 10/12/12 01:31 PM

I can dig it.. Seems like a different direction for sure than their older stuff.

Jared Luttrell 10/12/12 01:31 PM

Haven't checked out the re-recorded song yet though.

Alex DiVincenzo 10/12/12 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesMichael (Post 114127292)
Hey wheres my thanks Alex for submitting this? ;-) Really enjoying the re-recording of Fast Times at Dropout High.

Haha I saw it on Facebook just before your comment. But thank you :-p

The Revisionist 10/12/12 01:35 PM

These are both really good. "Fast Times at Dropout High" is my favorite Ataris song and I like the direction this new version has gone.

ReturningSunday 10/12/12 01:43 PM

After all the Kris Roe douche-baggery, I really wanted to hate these...but I can't. Not really the sound I was expecting them to go for, but I dig.

Fourchordwonder 10/12/12 01:49 PM

These songs are great.

Portugal4142 10/12/12 01:49 PM

I was really hoping half way through one of these songs the music would stop and drum cymbals could be heard rolling away in the distance.

formated4tv 10/12/12 01:56 PM

Alex, can you be SURE no drummers were harmed making this? That's a bold title until this is verified, haha.

punkcrap 10/12/12 02:01 PM

Amazing job on 12/15/10. I've been expecting this song for way too long

leftapart 10/12/12 02:05 PM

Not sure if I like these or absolutely hate them.. guess I'll give them another listen.. maybe..

yeahdude 10/12/12 02:07 PM

perhaps it was all a publicity stunt for both bands.

axel182 10/12/12 02:24 PM

I always thought this dude doesn't know when to stop.. songs sound good but it's like a 5:21 chorus!

Christopher N 10/12/12 02:27 PM

These are actually really fucking good. I feel like they haven't actually been mixed properly though and the only reason Kris is releasing them is to sort of move passed the Asbury thing.

Regardless of how much of a cunt Kris Roe is, I'm still stoked for this album.

neo506 10/12/12 02:42 PM

These are damn good.

Also interesting to note the producer played the drums on both of these tracks...hes normally their keyboard player

chrisstahl 10/12/12 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher N (Post 114130172)
These are actually really fucking good. I feel like they haven't actually been mixed properly though and the only reason Kris is releasing them is to sort of move passed the Asbury thing.

Regardless of how much of a cunt Kris Roe is, I'm still stoked for this album.

I love the mix. I think it's caused it was all analog. Sounds like the songs actually have life in them and not defibrillated by pro tools.

touchdownboi 10/12/12 02:52 PM

Stoked that they rerecorded Fast Times. Sounds fucking awesome.

brentstailing 10/12/12 03:01 PM

These are actually the bees knees.

hoser1689 10/12/12 03:27 PM

All jokes aside these are actually really really good.

zacharyj 10/12/12 03:45 PM

According to the about section (located on the side of bandcamp page) these songs are "chock full of beautiful mistakes." Clearly not that many or Kris Roe would have to throw instruments at himself.

gr33ndayfr3ak 10/12/12 04:04 PM

Never thought I'd be able to say that a song by The Ataris gave me chills, but Fast Times at Dropout High did just that. Maybe this hellishly long wait will actually be worth it.

saddr weirdr 10/12/12 04:09 PM

Holy shit these songs are fantastic

buddah knome 10/12/12 04:16 PM

Can't wait to listen to these! Love the ataris and could care less about the shit thats been happening. Its over let it go.

RyanWilliam 10/12/12 04:29 PM

5 and a half minute songs. Stop it Kris. Your voice sounds best in 2:30-3:00 intervals.

Crowe41 10/12/12 04:34 PM

Fast times at Dropout high...damn Kris, why have you had to be so silent all of these years. One of the best, regardless of your demons.

TomAce 10/12/12 04:41 PM

eh, i'm sick of all these "woah" chorus'. also thought it was going to break into "Purple Rain" there at the end.

danielinskeep 10/12/12 05:04 PM

ahhh. fast times was always my favorite. sounds phenomenal.

Bryan Mac 10/12/12 05:30 PM

Pretty boring. Fast Times At Dropout High has always been weak as fuck.
Won't top All Saints Day.

p93 10/12/12 05:48 PM

Holy shit. These are so great. This record needs to be in my ears. I'm ecstatic to see that Kris has gone the slower and more melodic route for some songs on this record, the way Welcome the Night was. I'll always champion that record as being criminally under appreciated.

mrzippo3 10/12/12 05:48 PM

Got bored half way through the 1st song. Been listening to the 2nd song for years so that didn't really move me either. Setting my expectations super low for this album so that when/if it ever comes out, it might be enjoyable.

honkytonk 10/12/12 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p93 (Post 114137162)
Holy shit. These are so great. This record needs to be in my ears. I'm ecstatic to see that Kris has gone the slower and more melodic route for some songs on this record, the way Welcome the Night was. I'll always champion that record as being criminally under appreciated.

Definitely agree about Welcome The Night, that record just hit me at the perfect time, love it.

I'm liking these new songs too, my interest in the new record has kinda waned over time but I can't see myself not enjoying it

bradsonemanband 10/12/12 06:00 PM

this shit is fucking awesome....

veronabryce 10/12/12 06:04 PM

Hell yeah love it.

All the nay-sayers flip flopped back into fans haha trolls.

Matt Chylak 10/12/12 06:08 PM

distractions from the craziness

p93 10/12/12 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honkytonk (Post 114137402)
Definitely agree about Welcome The Night, that record just hit me at the perfect time, love it.

I'm liking these new songs too, my interest in the new record has kinda waned over time but I can't see myself not enjoying it

Glad to know people out there agree. And yeah, it would have been a lot more effective (or relevant, as most people on this site love to throw out) in say, 2009 or 2010, but I'll just be glad when it gets released at all.

ihatehatehaters 10/12/12 06:30 PM

If Kris's goal with releasing these songs was to make me forget about his shenanigans that took place earlier this week, then I say well played sir. These are phenomenal.

bradsonemanband 10/12/12 06:30 PM

is anyone else having problems buying these songs? i neeeeed them on a cd right nooooow :)

Freshman15Davey 10/12/12 06:43 PM

No harmonies, no care.

jjnunn118 10/12/12 06:48 PM

New Ataris?!?!?!?! PERFECT way to start my weekend!!!

Edit: Don't know about drummers, but at least it states that no computers were harmed in the credits

Jerzeyboy525 10/12/12 09:47 PM

these songs are amazing...esp the redone fast times...despite all kris' mistakes he makes (ie asbury), he will always be one of my favorite songwriters and a good guy personally. the ataris will always have a place in my heart. i loved welcome the night because of that. it was a different direction, a more matured attempt that worked for me. 12/15/10 seems to blend welcome the night with the older ataris sound....thank you.

March_Faster!! 10/12/12 11:09 PM

This dude can still craft a good, melodic song. I'm diggin 'em.

Thomas Nassiff 10/12/12 11:18 PM

Songs are awesome. Record will be awesome.

Daveyhavok832 10/12/12 11:28 PM

Quote:

I'm right there with you. I listened to that album almost every single day for two years. It wasn't poppy enough for the people that wanted another So Long Astoria but had any other band released that album, it would still be talked about regularly today.

mattregan 10/12/12 11:55 PM

Good songs, but they aren't exactly new though.

TheZeroKid 10/13/12 06:13 AM

Quote:

That record is extremely underrated. I love it just as much as So, Long Astoria for different reasons. The new album needs to come out already.

gregl 10/13/12 06:41 AM

Great to see Welcome The Night getting some nods, I have always loved the record, it has been dusted off the last few weeks and will no doubt be played all autumn/winter.

It is such a shame it got shit on as it followed So Long Astoria. People in general are just too small minded, So Long Astoria is a special album to me but I was always able to separate the two right off the bat and appreciate Welcome The Night For what it was. Lyrically and sonically (especially for this time of year) a phenomenal record.

New songs are no shock brilliant, 12/15/10 sounds great full band and I am really liking the re-recording of Fast-Times, good to see the new guitar elements found in live performances.

My favourite version of Fast Times is the live version that Kris released on a tour EP a couple of years ago, such a great representation of the song, in fact I think it was from a Napster session...

When the record finally comes out in 2027, man it is going to be awesome!

rbf737 10/13/12 07:36 AM

Speaking of the producer (someone mentioned him) his name is Bob Hoag and he had a band called "the Go Reflex" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHnmI4SpM3c which I got into because I think Kris mentioned them back in the day. They had some good tunes like a decade ago but kind of disappeared pretty quickly. Nowadays he plays keys in the Ataris as someone said and produces and I messaged him asking him for a copy of one of the Go Reflex songs a couple of years ago and he said he was re-recording them and was planning some kind of release.

Anyway, sorry for the tangent I'm sure no one has heard of them but I liked their stuff and have to think of them when I think of Bob.

bradsonemanband 10/13/12 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbf737 (Post 114154432)
Speaking of the producer (someone mentioned him) his name is Bob Hoag and he had a band called "the Go Reflex" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHnmI4SpM3c which I got into because I think Kris mentioned them back in the day. They had some good tunes like a decade ago but kind of disappeared pretty quickly. Nowadays he plays keys in the Ataris as someone said and produces and I messaged him asking him for a copy of one of the Go Reflex songs a couple of years ago and he said he was re-recording them and was planning some kind of release.

Anyway, sorry for the tangent I'm sure no one has heard of them but I liked their stuff and have to think of them when I think of Bob.

he was also in a band called Pollen waaay back in the day. They ruled too.

Searos 10/13/12 09:49 AM

These songs sound like a cross between Welcome To The Night and So Long Astoria. I have been wanting to hear 12/15/10 since they added it to their live sets. It was good live. Also the redone version of Fastimes is very different but if the album sounds like this then I can't wait. The Ataris will always be one of my favorites in pop punk.