AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  New Tegan and Sara Song (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2928062)

kaylasananjou 10/21/12 08:06 PM

I like how everyone missed that the point of this song is that they don't have to do what their fans want and that they can write whatever type of music they want. They can't rewrite The Con forever, and I'd rather see them happy and writing whatever they want than trying to cater to jaded fans holding onto a sound they wrote when they were completely different people.

Plus, mixed in a live setting with all their old songs, these mesh wonderfully. It's great to have some dance jams with beautiful lyrics.

tell that mick 10/21/12 08:07 PM

I am absolutely loving the direction they are taking for this new album. Wasn't sold on the live version, but love the studio one.

mka12992 10/21/12 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaylasananjou (Post 114452072)
I like how everyone missed that the point of this song is that they don't have to do what their fans want and that they can write whatever type of music they want. They can't rewrite The Con forever, and I'd rather see them happy and writing whatever they want than trying to cater to jaded fans holding onto a sound they wrote when they were completely different people.

Plus, mixed in a live setting with all their old songs, these mesh wonderfully. It's great to have some dance jams with beautiful lyrics.

They CAN do whatever they want. I don't have to like it. I'm not pissed or bashing them for taking their sound in this direction, I just don't particularly like it.

signal to noise 10/21/12 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AReiss (Post 114450272)
Maybe pressured to do so from their label? Are they still on a major?

they are on a major, but I can't see that being the case.

Reece Wagner 10/21/12 08:41 PM

I actually like this sound a lot, complements their voices a lot better honestly than their jagged indie sound ever did for the most part. Then again, they basically just sound like Metric now.

CBKRP 10/21/12 08:44 PM

Im liking the new songs and are quite glad they aren't being the Indie Coffee shop duo anymore..

Ryanlolz 10/22/12 12:09 AM

Diggin' it hard.

dumpweed41 10/22/12 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reece Wagner (Post 114453172)
I actually like this sound a lot, complements their voices a lot better honestly than their jagged indie sound ever did for the most part. Then again, they basically just sound like Metric now.

That's what I was thinking too. This song could almost have come off Synthetica

fna4 10/22/12 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by signal to noise (Post 114453022)
they are on a major, but I can't see that being the case.

Why not? Countless bands have stated that majors have heavily pressured them to release hits? I love how people on this site think every single case of a band regressing and making more accessible music is an artistic decision and not a label/financial one.

SpyKi 10/22/12 04:25 AM

From the first two songs I feel like this could end up being my favourite from them.

Mario57 10/22/12 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reece Wagner (Post 114453172)

you're spot on

SteveLikesMusic 10/22/12 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sohcampco (Post 114450512)
I think that after SIX records these girls have earned the right to do whatever they want. I'm kind of surprised by the direction they decided to take, but I can understand wanting a change.

I'm not in love with these songs, but I respect them, and you guys should too :)

This.

InaGreendase 10/22/12 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBKRP (Post 114453232)
Im liking the new songs and are quite glad they aren't being the Indie Coffee shop duo anymore..

Well, they kinda blew that joint with So Jealous.

fenderstrat383 10/22/12 07:47 AM

I'm not a huge Tegan and Sara fan, nor have I ever been, just because I haven't listened to a lot of their music. From the responses, I've gathered that this is a very new direction for them to be taking. But, I dig the vibe of this song.

numbernine 10/22/12 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sohcampco (Post 114450512)
I think that after SIX records these girls have earned the right to do whatever they want.

Exactly.
Like the new style and cant wait for album!