AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Travis Barker Pulled Over by LAPD (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2928842)

Jason Tate 10/22/12 09:23 AM

Travis Barker Pulled Over by LAPD

Travis Barker (Blink 182) recently took to twitter to discuss (rant?) being pulled over, again, by the LAPD police.

Joe DeAndrea 10/22/12 09:26 AM

that's shitty.

guitarguy211 10/22/12 09:31 AM

Celebrities complaining about the authorities doing their duty annoys me so much.

EDIT: Profiles are made because they're generally true.

.dot 10/22/12 09:32 AM

Put plates on your car bro...

PirateSkater182 10/22/12 09:34 AM

Well this seems like you just need plates and problem solved. I fucking hate TMZ.

ablueskytragedy 10/22/12 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarguy211 (Post 114462632)
Celebrities complaining about the authorities doing their duty annoys me so much.

Cops are assholes most of the time. Get a clue man...

With that being said Travis Barker is taking this like a little bitch

TheModernAge 10/22/12 09:40 AM

I get what he's saying, but if you don't want to be profiled as a potential gang member why do you go through so much trouble to look like one?

ReadyForAction 10/22/12 09:43 AM

I'm all about fuck the police, but dude you got a ticket last year FOR THE SAME THING. Profiling is definitely shitty, but you knew that you risked a ticket every time you went out

ReadyForAction 10/22/12 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheModernAge (Post 114462932)
I get what he's saying, but if you don't want to be profiled as a potential gang member why do you go through so much trouble to look like one?

I didn't realize gang members had a look. Good to know

jonwangcb 10/22/12 09:43 AM

So the same thing happened a year ago? Meaning, he got a fix it ticket a year ago and didn't fix it? Cops had the right to pull him over. Getting pulled over, rightfully, twice in the span of a year or so is not profiling.

And I doubt they "accused" him of having drugs or weapons in his car...they probably asked, like they ask most young people who get pulled over.

ReadyForAction 10/22/12 09:44 AM

Quote:

LOL good one

Chuck! 10/22/12 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ablueskytragedy (Post 114462872)

lol

weworemasks 10/22/12 09:51 AM

you know what kind of judgmental society this is - why the fuck are you surprised when a cop wonders if a guy completely who's covered head to toe in tattoos, and drives a murdered out SUV is kinda suspicious?

dmcaloon 10/22/12 09:54 AM

He just overreacted. He probably overreacted to the cop too, and that's why he probably wanted to search the truck. If you don't put plates on your car, you're gonna get pulled over. It doesn't matter what you look like.

sammyboy516 10/22/12 09:57 AM

The Los Angeles police department police.

/thatguy

irishcarbomb 10/22/12 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PirateSkater182 (Post 114462762)
Well this seems like you just need plates and problem solved. I fucking hate TMZ.

Came here to say this about TMZ. They are shit.

nicolerork 10/22/12 10:07 AM

One time I got pulled over in Indiana while I was moving cross country. My friend was driving that shift and he happened to have two full sleeves and a beck tattoo. Cop was bored and decided to search my car for drugs. His dog "signaled" him when he passed over the door with my cats. An hour later and no trace of drugs, cats crying and all of my possessions on the ground in the middle of a rainstorm = not happy.

Cops are worthless.

rollerman4221 10/22/12 10:12 AM

4 hours is slightly excessive

Born_For_This 10/22/12 10:17 AM

He has a surprisingly low level of literacy.

tell that mick 10/22/12 10:19 AM

Doesn't really apply to this particular situation (I don't even know if LAPD has a "Stop & Frisk" program set in place), but saw this over the weekend and found it incredibly interesting/disturbing.

PirateSkater182 10/22/12 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolerork (Post 114464072)
One time I got pulled over in Indiana while I was moving cross country. My friend was driving that shift and he happened to have two full sleeves and a beck tattoo. Cop was bored and decided to search my car for drugs. His dog "signaled" him when he passed over the door with my cats. An hour later and no trace of drugs, cats crying and all of my possessions on the ground in the middle of a rainstorm = not happy.

Cops are worthless.

The worst part of this story is your friend has a Beck tattoo.

Poochemist 10/22/12 10:21 AM

Quote:

Cops are worthless.

If it ever happens again, you don't have to consent to searches if they ask. If they do it without permission, you can file a complaint for an unlawful search.

And with respect to this story, of course they're gonna profile you based on what your car looks like. But if you give them reasons to pull you over (no plates?), of course you're gonna get pulled over.

theHECKLER 10/22/12 10:25 AM

Quote:

Cops are worthless.

"cats crying"... Hehe

dunkinsdonut 10/22/12 10:26 AM

I wonder how this is going to affect his honey business....

Br&New182 10/22/12 10:34 AM

Guess he was driving in the wrong Neighborhoods

Poochemist 10/22/12 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tell that mick (Post 114464602)
Doesn't really apply to this particular situation (I don't even know if LAPD has a "Stop & Frisk" program set in place), but saw this over the weekend and found it incredibly interesting/disturbing.

Thanks for the post, that was really informative.

Krs-One 10/22/12 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poochemist (Post 114464752)
If it ever happens again, you don't have to consent to searches if they ask. If they do it without permission, you can file a complaint for an unlawful search.

lol

Archael 10/22/12 10:40 AM

sucks to be him, huh?

Br&New182 10/22/12 10:41 AM

Atleast the cop didn't ask him to Take Off Your Pants and Jacket

nicolerork 10/22/12 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PirateSkater182 (Post 114464702)
The worst part of this story is your friend has a Beck tattoo.

Haha, I meant "neck" tattoo. Whoooops!

dunkinsdonut 10/22/12 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Br&New182 (Post 114465282)
Guess he was driving in the wrong Neighborhoods

lolol

PirateSkater182 10/22/12 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolerork (Post 114465672)
Haha, I meant "neck" tattoo. Whoooops!

Haha I was just picking.

ChaseTx 10/22/12 10:45 AM

He's right though, it's inefficient and an extreme inconvenience to a law-abiding citizen to be held for 4 hours without a real reason. The fact that he was trying to pick up his kids makes it worse. When they do this to someone, they should be required to repay them for the inconvenience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poochemist (Post 114464752)

Cops actually have a right to search based on "reasonable suspicion", which is up to their judgement, so whenever they want.

ZachMadeMeOdd 10/22/12 10:48 AM

I get what he's saying, and maybe a car search was a little extensive. But he should try and understand that LAPD deal with gang members and dealers regularly who have illegal mods to cars and are covered in tattoos DAILY. Unless this cop insulted him, and/or blatantly profiled him, get used to it. You look like a crackhead Barker.

Archael 10/22/12 10:49 AM

Quote:

1st statement is debatable

2nd is not, good on ya

paperlung 10/22/12 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaseTx (Post 114465822)
Cops actually have a right to search based on "reasonable suspicion", which is up to their judgement, so whenever they want.

Not to mention if they have dogs and the dog gives any sort of reaction, that is definitely enough to be considered 'reasonable suspicion'.

HereOnAndOut 10/22/12 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaseTx (Post 114465822)
He's right though, it's inefficient and an extreme inconvenience to a law-abiding citizen to be held for 4 hours without a real reason. The fact that he was trying to pick up his kids makes it worse. When they do this to someone, they should be required to repay them for the inconvenience.

He was held "4 an hour" not for 4 hours lol. That's not entirely unreasonable...and I think the biggest point is if u drive without a tag, expect to get pulled. Lol

ChaseTx 10/22/12 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HereOnAndOut (Post 114466372)
He was held "4 an hour" not for 4 hours lol. That's not entirely unreasonable...and I think the biggest point is if u drive without a tag, expect to get pulled. Lol

ah, ok, shorthand threw me off, haha. Still a huge pain, and could have caused a problem if his daughter was waiting somewhere for him.

koryoreo 10/22/12 11:22 AM

Quote:

That is a ridiculously ignorant opinion. So is it alright to stereotype people too because stereotypes hold true "most" of the time according to your "logic"? People shouldn't have to fear being questioned by police because of how they look. If you aren't guilty of anything, it's pretty embarrassing/a big inconvenience to be questioned by police for no reason other than you look "suspicious". You obviously don't understand because you are sheltered and don't understand how things work in the real world. Put the shoe on the other foot and you probably wouldn't be making such a blasphemous statement.

tell that mick 10/22/12 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poochemist (Post 114465382)
Thanks for the post, that was really informative.

UnderMyDreams 10/22/12 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonwangcb (Post 114463092)
So the same thing happened a year ago? Meaning, he got a fix it ticket a year ago and didn't fix it? Cops had the right to pull him over. Getting pulled over, rightfully, twice in the span of a year or so is not profiling.

And I doubt they "accused" him of having drugs or weapons in his car...they probably asked, like they ask most young people who get pulled over.

If they weren't "accusing him" then why did they detain him and search his car...?

Poochemist 10/22/12 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tell that mick (Post 114467762)

Ha, sincere!

tell that mick 10/22/12 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poochemist (Post 114468962)
Ha, sincere!

Well in that case, you are very welcome, and I apologize for my skepticism. :-)

IV. 10/22/12 12:14 PM

Quote:

You and other people gave him the name "celebrity" Im sure if you asked him what he was he would say a normal guy that plays music. People forget that these "celebrities" are human. And he was just going off about something that makes him mad. Like a normal human being is allowed to do.

DandonTRJ 10/22/12 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammyboy516 (Post 114463692)
The Los Angeles police department police.

/thatguy

Hah, came here to say the same thing.

Journey408 10/22/12 12:36 PM

all he had to say was "bitch do you know who the fuck i am?!"

silly cops, Blink 182 are huge. should know who TB is by now :-p

IV. 10/22/12 12:37 PM

I mean it sucks if he feels he's being profiled and it fucked up his day but there are black people in nice cars that are pulled over what seem like no reason too. But i also dont agree with some of the crap said in this thread about him "looking like a gangster or gang-member" because I've known cops with full sleeves and Ive know gang members with not one damn tattoo. These cops need to find other reasons to pull someone over other than what they appears to be.

guitarguy211 10/22/12 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IV. (Post 114469372)
You and other people gave him the name "celebrity" Im sure if you asked him what he was he would say a normal guy that plays music. People forget that these "celebrities" are human. And he was just going off about something that makes him mad. Like a normal human being is allowed to do.

His 1 million+ Twitter followers disagree. He's in a place of influence, and it annoys me that people don't pay attention to what they're saying that may affect those who look up to them. Disrespect for authorities is not something I'd promote. He has every right to feel cheated/abused/picked on, but did he really have to make it public?

He's more than welcome to have an opinion, and I in no way meant to insult his humanity. It's just an annoyance to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by koryoreo (Post 114467612)
That is a ridiculously ignorant opinion. So is it alright to stereotype people too because stereotypes hold true "most" of the time according to your "logic"? People shouldn't have to fear being questioned by police because of how they look. If you aren't guilty of anything, it's pretty embarrassing/a big inconvenience to be questioned by police for no reason other than you look "suspicious". You obviously don't understand because you are sheltered and don't understand how things work in the real world. Put the shoe on the other foot and you probably wouldn't be making such a blasphemous statement.

Blasphemous? At what point did I insult a religious deity?

I understand that many people who look threatening/dangerous are actually great people, but the stats show that there is a certain type of person who is more likely to be involved in criminal activities. When you look at the pictures of convicts, patterns begin to show up. People much smarter than you and I have gone through mountains of data and come up with various signs of potential threats.

Think of it this way: what if he was guilty of something? What if they stopped him en route to commit a crime? Wouldn't you want them to have pulled him over, seen warning signs, and then proceed to search him?

Regardless, they didn't stop him because he had tattoos--they stopped him because he didn't have a license plate. It was only after that point that they found reason to search and question him.

As for your attack on my character, I'll let that slide because you don't know me or what kind of life I've lived. Want to keep guessing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReadyForAction (Post 114463112)
LOL good one

Serious or sarcastic?

Quote:

There are some bad cops, but they are nowhere near the majority. Most cops are doing their job--protecting those they serve.

xsinkshipsx 10/22/12 01:04 PM

fuck the police

ratmachine182 10/22/12 01:05 PM

Quote:

Exactly. He sounds like an over-privileged self-entitled teenager. Driving without front plates is stupid. Get a front fucking license plate like the rest of the sentient populace. If I'm not mistaken this happened to him a few years back for having overly tinted windows. Again, if you are a fully functioning member of society you should know that this makes it look like you are trying to hide something and begging to be pulled over and searched.

/rant