AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  P.O.S - We Don't Even Live Here (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2930282)

Drew Beringer 10/23/12 12:44 PM

P.O.S - We Don't Even Live Here

P.O.SWe Don’t Even Live Here
Release Date: October 22, 2012
Record Label: Rhymesayers/Doomtree

No one gives a fuck about shit/so fuck your shit/we fuck shit up/‘cuz shit’s fucked anyway

Over the span of four albums, this is probably the single best lyric to describe P.O.S’ on his new album We Don't Even Live Here. The lyric is from “Get Down,” a sinister banger that caters more to the bar fight scene than the club scene and is one of many highlights on P.O.S' fourth studio album. The manic, devil-may-care attitude of the song exemplifies the attitude throughout the album’s eleven tracks. Featuring contributions from the Doomtree crew (Sims, Cecil Otter, Mike Mictlan, and Lazerbeak) and close friends (Bon Iver’s Justin Vernon, Astronautalis, Isaac Gale), We Don’t Even Live Here is the weirdest, angriest, and best P.O.S album to date.

Engineered and executively produced by Andrew Dawson (yet another longtime friend of P.O.S), We Don’t Even Live Here is layered with effects-rich beats and savage rhymes, lending itself as the perfect party playlist for your everyday anarchist. And the anti-materialistic anthem “Fuck Your Stuff” is the first track you’ll play. Along with the Doomtree crew, P.O.S unleashes war on corporate/mainstream America (I never cared about your bucks, so if I run up with a mask on/probably got a gas can too/and I’m not here to fill her up/no we came to riot/here to incite/we don’t want any of your stuff) over a fucking raucous celebration-like beat courtesy of Lazerbeak. The track is a taunt to conventional hip-hop and sets the tone for the rest of the album.

We get a first-hand listen to all the “weird shit” he and his crew gets down to on the Boyz Noize-aided glitchy title track and aforementioned “Get Down,” while the menacing “All Of It” has P.O.S and company revels in a controlled rage over the hyperkinetic beat. But We Don’t Even Live Here shines when it turns down the volume and gets experimental (it's also a showcase of Lazerbeak's primo production skills). “They Can’t Come” is gritty throughout. Paced by jaunty piano chords, its chorus will leave an unmistakable imprint on your membrane (Sims also drops an all-time best verse). P.O.S and Astronautalis collaborate to bring the listener a real talk reality check on “Wanted/Wasted,” while the “Pissed Off” portion of P.O.S rises to the surface on the fiery “Arrow To The Action/Fire In The Hole.”

The album takes a gorgeous turn with “How We Land,” a hypnotic jam that’s taken to the next stratosphere with Justin Vernon’s hauntingly smooth vocals. Full of introspective lyrics and intricate background noises, “How We Land” may go down as the best song in P.O.S’ career. Despite all the anger and outrage throughout We Don’t Even Live Here, the album still possesses these moments of clarity and restrained purpose, giving WDELH that much-needed balance.

We Don’t Even Live Here is stuffed with eleven of P.O.S' best work – good luck picking a favorite track, as that will change daily. WDELH is a remarkable improvement on the style and craft of his first three albums – something I didn’t think was really possible after his last effort. But don’t expect Stef to ever change, as he spits, Aight motherfucker see I was born like this/pissed with a twist/raised in the Midwest/where they hate with a grin, on the darkly aggressive “Lockpicks, Knives, Bricks and Bats.” That attitude has led to We Don’t Even Live Here being the most definitive P.O.S album yet. Just don’t forget your baseball bats and cinder blocks.

9/10

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Bumper (Produced by P.O.S)
2. Fuck Your Stuff (Produced by Lazerbeak)
3. How We Land (feat. Justin Vernon of Bon Iver) (Produced by P.O.S and Andrew Dawson)
4. Wanted/Wasted (feat. Astronautalis) (Produced by Cecil Otter)
5. They Can't Come (feat. Sims) (Produced by Lazerbeak)
6. Lock-Picks, Knives, Bricks and Bats (Produced by Lazerbeak)
7. Fire in the Hole / Arrow the the Action (Produced by Lazerbeak)
8. Get Down (feat. Mike Mictlan) (Produced by Patric Russel)
9. All of It (Produced by Ryan Olson)
10. Weird Friends (We Don't Even Live Here) (Produced by Housemeister and Boyz Noize)
11. Piano Hits (feat. Isaac Gale of Marijuana Deathsquads) (Produced by Cecil Otter)
Executive Producer and Engineer: Andrew Dawson

Official AP.net Profile; Official Website; Official Facebook Page; Official Twitter Account

Samprattsap 10/23/12 12:50 PM

Great review. This album gets better with every listen.

wall e 10/23/12 01:35 PM

This deserves its score.

brook183 10/23/12 01:44 PM

9/10 is what I would give it too.

kidwithhelmet 10/23/12 01:44 PM

Can't get enough of this record! Great review.

brennanisarealboy 10/23/12 01:44 PM

How We Land is slowly becoming my favorite P.O.S. track.

Slangster 10/23/12 01:53 PM

Good review. Fantastic record. This is an AOTY contender for me.

Cody Nelson 10/23/12 02:01 PM

I enjoyed your review, and love this album, but never in a million years would I use that particular lyric to describe Stefon's style. It's almost a little insulting to his talent.

wordsAREcancer 10/23/12 02:10 PM

"How We Land" and "They Can't Come" are fucking awesome. Can't stop listening

Drew Beringer 10/23/12 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody Nelson (Post 114519792)
I enjoyed your review, and love this album, but never in a million years would I use that particular lyric to describe Stefon's style. It's almost a little insulting to his talent.

really? He's always had that anarchist style, that lyric is a simple, broad way of showing that. Maybe I was too vague but I more or less related that lyric to the entire attitude of this album and not necessarily his entire body of work.

Holly HoX! 10/23/12 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Beringer (Post 114520332)
really? He's always had that anarchist style, that lyric is a simple, broad way of showing that. Maybe I was too vague but I more or less related that lyric to the entire attitude of this album and not necessarily his entire body of work.

I agree with him, but that's before your comment. It's far from his best lyric, but maybe it does sum up the abrasive nature of the release. It just didn't seem like that's what you meant in the review.

Either way, can't wait to hear it.

Drew Beringer 10/23/12 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holly HoX! (Post 114520722)
I agree with him, but that's before your comment. It's far from his best lyric, but maybe it does sum up the abrasive nature of the release. It just didn't seem like that's what you meant in the review.

Either way, can't wait to hear it.

right, this album is his most aggressive, angriest album yet IMO, I was just too vague in that first sentence haha, I edited it to make more sense.

RyanFTW 10/23/12 02:28 PM

The Chorus in "How We Land" is so killer.

Holly HoX! 10/23/12 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Beringer (Post 114520822)
right, this album is his most aggressive, angriest album yet IMO, I was just too vague in that first sentence haha, I edited it to make more sense.

Coo doe. Did you like GKMC? It's the reason I haven't listened to this yet...

Drew Beringer 10/23/12 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holly HoX! (Post 114521232)

love it, it's a top 10 album along with this

MXP 10/23/12 02:33 PM

WANT THIS SOOOOOOOO BAD!!!!!

Cody Nelson 10/23/12 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Beringer (Post 114520332)

I agree that anarchism and rebellion (more just general going against the grain) are two topics that he normally deals heavily in, but he's frequently very poignant and thoughtful when dealing in those themes. I understood the point you were going for, it's just that such a simple and brash line like that doesn't nearly sum up his abilities or encompass the manner in which he normally thrives lyrically IMO.

It's all good, though, we're both big fans, and like I said, the rest of your review is very on-point. luvu.

trevorshmevor 10/23/12 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody Nelson (Post 114519792)

I completely agree. And not that this really has much to do with what you're saying, but I actually cringe a little bit every time I hear that line on the album.

Solid album regardless, I'd personally have it land at about an 8. I definitely don't think it's better than Never Better, but it's up there for sure.

Drew Beringer 10/23/12 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody Nelson (Post 114523642)
I agree that anarchism and rebellion (more just general going against the grain) are two topics that he normally deals heavily in, but he's frequently very poignant and thoughtful when dealing in those themes. I understood the point you were going for, it's just that such a simple and brash line like that doesn't nearly sum up his abilities or encompass the manner in which he normally thrives lyrically IMO.

It's all good, though, we're both big fans, and like I said, the rest of your review is very on-point. luvu.

I'm not trying to say that that lyric is a summary of his lyrical content or his abilities, just his general attitude on the album, the style on the album, etc. it just feels and sounds a bit more reckless/experimental.

Dustin Harkins 10/23/12 03:57 PM

The only song I've heard from this so far is "How We Land" and it was my least favorite P.O.S. song I've heard so far. Oh well.

weworemasks 10/23/12 03:58 PM

my biggest problem with this album is some of the beats (just a few) but other than that, it's as good as i expected/hoped.

Archael 10/23/12 04:01 PM

awesome guy yeah

but def not as good as never better and audition

CPF--FBR 10/23/12 04:28 PM

Justin Pierre of Motion City Soundtrack is also featured on this album somewhere.

Regardless, I'm very interested in giving this a shot. Seems like I should.

Drew Beringer 10/23/12 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weworemasks (Post 114524812)
my biggest problem with this album is some of the beats (just a few) but other than that, it's as good as i expected/hoped.

could you expand on what you don't like about some of the beats?

weworemasks 10/23/12 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Beringer (Post 114526932)
could you expand on what you don't like about some of the beats?

just lacking in a real groove/rhythm. the electronic parts got a bit janky on a few songs. best example is "get down."

my favorite beats on the record are: "wanted/wasted" and "they can't come."

weworemasks 10/23/12 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPF--FBR (Post 114526152)
Justin Pierre of Motion City Soundtrack is also featured on this album somewhere.

Regardless, I'm very interested in giving this a shot. Seems like I should.

tracks 3+6 according to liners.

Drew Beringer 10/23/12 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weworemasks (Post 114527432)
just lacking in a real groove/rhythm. the electronic parts got a bit janky on a few songs. best example is "get down."

my favorite beats on the record are: "wanted/wasted" and "they can't come."

the whole middle section of the album is fantastic (no surprised as Lazerbeak produces the majority of them). I like the weirder glitchy dance songs, I enjoy the flow in Get Down but I can understand why some people may not enjoy the actual beat of the song.

weworemasks 10/23/12 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Beringer (Post 114527722)
the whole middle section of the album is fantastic (no surprised as Lazerbeak produces the majority of them). I like the weirder glitchy dance songs, I enjoy the flow in Get Down but I can understand why some people may not enjoy the actual beat of the song.

if NB sits at about a 8.5/10 (my rating), this album's about a 7.2ish.

sidenote: you reviewing kendrick?

Drew Beringer 10/23/12 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weworemasks (Post 114527792)
if NB sits at about a 8.5/10 (my rating), this album's about a 7.2ish.

sidenote: you reviewing kendrick?

There's something about this album that I like more than Never Better. Both records are high for me though, I guess I must be deaf cuz I love the entire album and the first time I heard it a few months ago I immediately hit repeat. Maybe I just like it more cuz it's a bit more accesible and I think the slower jams on this album are little more refined and focused than what Never Better had.

and Dre is reviewing KL

theintention 10/23/12 05:58 PM

Drew what are your thoughts on "They Can't Come", and Sims in general? His last album was one of my favorite hip hop albums.

luvsickcatalyst 10/23/12 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holly HoX! (Post 114521232)

I started giving this a few decent listens, but GKMC distracted me completely and haven't picked this up since. Definitely not as powerful as Never Better, but that album's so hard to beat in my book. "Bumper" and "How We Land" are easily two of my favorite songs this year and the album's still fun as hell.

GKMC though...had it for two days and it might already crack my Top 3. Fuck.

Thomas Nassiff 10/23/12 07:02 PM

Album is pretty great. Had to grow on me though.

Gregory Robson 10/23/12 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theintention (Post 114532282)
Drew what are your thoughts on "They Can't Come", and Sims in general? His last album was one of my favorite hip hop albums.

I suppose I'm interrupting, but Bad Time Zoo was/is pretty awesome.

bang.bang.BANG! 10/23/12 07:39 PM

95% in my opinion

Jaytothesyg 10/23/12 07:40 PM

I need to check this out, good review

runningohfive 10/23/12 07:51 PM

I must be in the minority but I think Piano Hits is my favorite. Anyway great album.

endonhigh 10/23/12 08:01 PM

Read this as P.O.D.

Then I read the score and was quite surprised.

Then I read the quote from the first line and was even more surprised.

Then I realized I'm an idiot.

Merkin 10/23/12 10:22 PM

POS! honestly, his music is great but does anyone else have better album packages than him? never better was pure awesome with everything in there, now 50 pictures from his life in the package WITH LYRICS!? Dude knows what people want and he gives it to them for free

theintention 10/23/12 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregory Robson (Post 114535522)
I suppose I'm interrupting, but Bad Time Zoo was/is pretty awesome.

Interrupt away. I love the album. Made me have a huge appreciation for Lazerbeak.

RX XR 10/23/12 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Beringer (Post 114520822)

Love the review, but totally disagree with this comment. Audition is much angrier and more aggressive than this album.

Hamlet 10/24/12 01:17 AM

So it's "P.O.S" without the full stop after the S now?

InfiniteArms 10/24/12 02:09 AM

I'm not usually into rap/RnB music. But the amount of hype and praise for this record is huge. Should I give it a shot anyway?

airik625 10/24/12 04:27 AM

Wasn't as impressed upon first listen as I was with his last release, but the more I listen, the more I like.

dubey 10/24/12 04:37 AM

I liked 'Fuck Your Stuff' when it was released but it's quickly becoming my least favourite on the album - that's how good it is.

I didn't think he could top Never Better but he did.

weworemasks 10/24/12 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamlet (Post 114542152)

Lol'd.

Drew Beringer 10/24/12 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamlet (Post 114542152)

it's always been like that

Holly HoX! 10/24/12 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theintention (Post 114540942)
Interrupt away. I love the album. Made me have a huge appreciation for Lazerbeak.

Have you listened to Beaks solo album?

Chuck! 10/24/12 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfiniteArms (Post 114542342)
I'm not usually into rap/RnB music. But the amount of hype and praise for this record is huge. Should I give it a shot anyway?

Yes. Though I'd suggest starting with Never Better.

SleepsSundays 10/24/12 10:47 AM

Not quite as good as Never Better for me but still, really, really good. Top twenty albums of this year so far, for sure.

sakattack123 10/24/12 12:12 PM

The thing about P.O.S, and Doomtree as a whole, is how amazing they are live. I'm slightly disappointed with Get Down solely because for the past year and a half or so whenever I've seen it played, it's SUCH an awesome/fun song. It still is, of course, but I just don't like the recorded beat as much. I cannot wait to hear How We Land live. I bet Justin will be at the CD release show or something. Anyway, love the album, awesome review, amazing artist. Can't wait for this year's blowout.