AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  AP.net Chat: P.O.S (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2930562)

Christian Wagner 10/23/12 04:04 PM

AP.net Chat: P.O.S

Update: The chat is now over. Many thanks to Stef for chatting with us tonight. We Don't Even Live Here is in stores now.

P.O.S will be chatting in this thread at 7:30 pm EST/4:30 pm PST. Feel free to talk about his new album We Don't Even Live Here (check out Drew's review here), his many collaborations he's done, or if you are willing to donate a kidney for his operation.

Christian Wagner 10/23/12 04:04 PM

Rules for Chat
Be respectful. Don't be afraid to ask questions, but make sure that you aren't crossing any boundaries of any sort. If you have any hesitations about posting a certain question, odds are you shouldn't post it. Disrespect will not be tolerated and will be met with a deleted post and a ban.

Double, triple, and quadruple posts will be deleted, along with posts that are overly modified to get attention. No extra formatting is needed; I'm sure they can read just as well as, if not better than, most of us.

If they doesn't answer your question, feel free to ask another.

This is not a way to ask them for favors, to ask them if they'll make your voicemail message for you or visit you at your house.

Have fun. The idea is for everyone to talk together and share in a collective experience.

Some Posting Tips

Obviously you need to register for an account to participate. It's free. It's easy.

You may want to add an avatar to your account. It's that little icon by your post and it makes you stand out.

The chat takes place in the comments section of this thread -- it's just like a regular forum thread.

To reply to a post, click the "quote" link on it - and then type your reply. Simple.

To post a new reply, scroll to the bottom of the page and use either the "quick reply" box - or click the "write a comment" button.

If this is your first time on the website, remember that it may take a little getting used to - but we hope we made the experience easy for even first time posters. Hope you have a good time. Don't forget to come back daily to see what kinds of things we have going on during the day. Or follow us on twitter or facebook to not miss any important announcements.

Jake Denning 10/23/12 04:30 PM

Stef, you the man 365...366 in a leap year.

Liciakasher 10/23/12 04:31 PM

What do you think happens to you when you die? Do you have an idea of what "the afterlife" is going to be like?

weworemasks 10/23/12 04:31 PM

awesome. already threw some $ his way!

drewbaldy 10/23/12 04:31 PM

Do you think this new slew of "hip hop artists" such as Young Dro, Riff Raff, Lil B and others are bringing down the integrity of hip hop/rap music?

Jason Tate 10/23/12 04:32 PM

One helluva album. Thanks so much for doing this with us.

InfiniteArms 10/23/12 04:32 PM

What was the hardest thing to do while recording/writing this album?

drewbaldy 10/23/12 04:33 PM

Never forget when I saw you with Atmosphere and Blueprint in Gainesville. So fucking good. Thanks for everything you do man.

Drew Beringer 10/23/12 04:33 PM

not just one of my favorite hip-hop albums of the year, but just overall one of the best albums of year regardless of genre. I'm going to shamelessly promote my review of We Don't Even Live Here one more time http://absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2930282

<3 thanks for doing this Stef

Charles777 10/23/12 04:34 PM

What inspired the change in direction for the production on this album?

RyanFTW 10/23/12 04:35 PM

In a great year of music already, We Don't Even Live Here is shooting to the top of my list of the best. Just wanted to say thank you for making something I can blast in my car to get me hyped for work.

bobcatbob18 10/23/12 04:35 PM

I have to ask: why the inclusion of the freshly born baby/vagina in the cd booklet? I may be mentally scarred... but that's life. LITERALLY.

Your new album (and entire body of work) is top notch as always, my man.

Holly HoX! 10/23/12 04:35 PM

Hey Stef, sending much love on the recovery, man. We're all pulling for you and I'm sure it'll be a big Minneap group hug this Friday in the Mainroom. Be well.

<3

billybobdee 10/23/12 04:35 PM

what artists are you currently listening to?

P.O.S DOOMTREE 10/23/12 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liciakasher (Post 114526352)
What do you think happens to you when you die? Do you have an idea of what "the afterlife" is going to be like?

i dont know. how could anyone? i do think though that it has more to do with us returning to the energy we came from.
we are all made out of starz

MXP 10/23/12 04:37 PM

Stef, you are my fav rapper. Can't wait to pick up the new album, fuckin' Best Buy ran out :/

P.O.S DOOMTREE 10/23/12 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billybobdee (Post 114526692)
what artists are you currently listening to?

lots of deathgrips, kendrick and aesop rock for rap. new converge and lots of podcasts.
mark maron, too much information and 99% invisible are great.

P.O.S DOOMTREE 10/23/12 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobcatbob18 (Post 114526652)
I have to ask: why the inclusion of the freshly born baby/vagina in the cd booklet? I may be mentally scarred... but that's life. LITERALLY.

Your new album (and entire body of work) is top notch as always, my man.

thanks.

all the pics are from my last two years for the most part.
that baby is my baby. i took that pic myself. its for sure brutal.

ffafan 10/23/12 04:40 PM

will you still be performing at the blowout? get well soon man! ill be there friday!

Sakarazu 10/23/12 04:40 PM

POS likes converge? haha. awesome.

purrp 10/23/12 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P.O.S DOOMTREE (Post 114526812)
i dont know. how could anyone? i do think though that it has more to do with us returning to the energy we came from.

cool, you should check out islam

Cody Nelson 10/23/12 04:40 PM

No real questions, just wanted to say:

Can't wait for your upcoming show at First Ave., and really hope all your health issues are tackled as quickly and successfully as possible. You make me incredibly proud to be from MN, and your albums are one of the main reasons I began to like hip-hop at all. Keep up the great work, you're one of the brightest rising stars in the genre, and I'm so excited to see where the future takes you and the rest of Doomtree.

Drew Beringer 10/23/12 04:41 PM

Stef, do you have a personal favorite song from the new record?

terrorishfrank 10/23/12 04:41 PM

I don't really have a question, I just wanted to say hope ya get better and that WDELH is the shit and so are you.

drewbaldy 10/23/12 04:41 PM

How do you like being a dad? Boy or girl?

MegSo 10/23/12 04:41 PM

No question, just thanks. I saw you for the first time in April of 2010 opening for Brand New and it was absolutely amazing. I remember being in awe, watching the crowd become mesmerized, though most of us hadn't listened to you before that show. I just wanted to say thanks for putting on a really, really wonderful show. I wish you a speedy recovery!

P.O.S DOOMTREE 10/23/12 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles777 (Post 114526582)
What inspired the change in direction for the production on this album?

i changed the vibe beat wise becuase i was enjoying more electro. thats most of it.
i love to change the sound up every record. this one is dancy because i been dancing. for real. the next one will sound different again if i do my job right.

aradiantsunrise 10/23/12 04:41 PM

Really dig the new album, man. Would love to see you play a show in South Florida again.

P.O.S DOOMTREE 10/23/12 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffafan (Post 114526952)
will you still be performing at the blowout? get well soon man! ill be there friday!

i hope so

shaggytheshaman 10/23/12 04:42 PM

Will we ever get another Building Better Bombs album? That would be so AWESOME.

Liciakasher 10/23/12 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P.O.S DOOMTREE (Post 114526812)

Thanks for the response. My aunt just underwent heart surgery, and while recovering they found that she has a blood clot, so things aren't looking so great. Facing her mortality is fucking with me. i hope you have a better outcome. Really, i do.

P.O.S DOOMTREE 10/23/12 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Beringer (Post 114527022)
Stef, do you have a personal favorite song from the new record?

lock picks, it just turned out exactly how i wanted. that almost never happens

P.O.S DOOMTREE 10/23/12 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liciakasher (Post 114527152)
Thanks for the response. My aunt just underwent heart surgery, and while recovering they found that she has a blood clot, so things aren't looking so great. Facing her mortality is fucking with me. i hope you have a better outcome. Really, i do.

wow. i hope the best for you and your family.

Drew Beringer 10/23/12 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P.O.S DOOMTREE (Post 114527182)
lock picks, it just turned out exactly how i wanted. that almost never happens

it's top 3 for me, for sure, the aggressive vibe is really great.

I've been noticing that a lot of people have different favorite tracks on the album, which I find to be a good sign, shows how strong the album is.

shaggytheshaman 10/23/12 04:44 PM

Thank you so much for all the amazing music. It really has had a huge impact on my life. Your releases are always among my most eagerly anticipated. WDELH is my album of the year by a margin. I wish you the best of health, thanks for making my playlist so awesome.

Ryan Gardner 10/23/12 04:44 PM

Favorite part of working with Andrew Dawson? What would you say his biggest influence on the record was?

Fantastic job with WDELH, Stef. Seriously

weworemasks 10/23/12 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liciakasher (Post 114527152)

rough. well wishes for your fam, man.

billybobdee 10/23/12 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P.O.S DOOMTREE (Post 114526872)
lots of deathgrips, kendrick and aesop rock for rap. new converge and lots of podcasts.
mark maron, too much information and 99% invisible are great.

seeing aes in ft lauderdale friday night. you should come to south florida once you get out to tour. wishing you well, sir. new kendrick and converge are dope, everything rhymesayers has released this year is of course on repeat everyday. you should do a run with evidence and swing down this way. . .

Eich696 10/23/12 04:45 PM

Whos idea was it to have Justin Vernon on the album? Can you tell how that collab came about? The song is amazing and his part is great (your verses are dope too).

P.O.S DOOMTREE 10/23/12 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewbaldy (Post 114526402)
Do you think this new slew of "hip hop artists" such as Young Dro, Riff Raff, Lil B and others are bringing down the integrity of hip hop/rap music?

no. i think at this point all genres of music have the hi and lower brow.
there has never been mainstream music that has all of the things i need in my jams.
but thats okay. thats how we found our favorites in the first place. searching hard to find "our" shit in all the garbage makes 'our shit' better to us. right? thats me any way

Charles777 10/23/12 04:47 PM

What's the status on that EP with Astronautalis? Do you think you'll be doing more collaborating (Doomtree not included) like that in the future?

abusedcat 10/23/12 04:48 PM

What's the strangest offer you've ever been given (strange show / endorsement / etc)?

drewbaldy 10/23/12 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P.O.S DOOMTREE (Post 114527352)
no. i think at this point all genres of music have the hi and lower brow.
there has never been mainstream music that has all of the things i need in my jams.
but thats okay. thats how we found our favorites in the first place. searching hard to find "our" shit in all the garbage makes 'our shit' better to us. right? thats me any way

I guess I'm just biased because it bothers the shit outta me when I see these "artists" have millions of hits on their YouTube pages and you (one of my favorite artists of all time) don't get those kind of numbers. You're the shit.

Trio-Fi 10/23/12 04:48 PM

The song Ice Cream with Slug is often listed as a Hotels song...was that a collaboration that was supposed to happen with Slug? If so, is that idea not happening anymore?

P.O.S DOOMTREE 10/23/12 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfiniteArms (Post 114526482)
What was the hardest thing to do while recording/writing this album?

for me, the hardest part is just letting the songs be songs.
i always want the shit to be the end all be best ever.
that is NEVER how it works. its just gotta get done.
it takes me forever to call it done.

P.O.S DOOMTREE 10/23/12 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewbaldy (Post 114527052)
How do you like being a dad? Boy or girl?

i love being a dad. its way hard sometimes too. thats a given tho

P.O.S DOOMTREE 10/23/12 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Gardner (Post 114527282)
Favorite part of working with Andrew Dawson? What would you say his biggest influence on the record was?

Fantastic job with WDELH, Stef. Seriously

andrew was amazing as a producer. he was central in helping call songs done when they were.

he made it sound perfect

ZacksSoUgly 10/23/12 04:53 PM

How'd the pre-order stuff with Crimethinc. come up?

P.O.S DOOMTREE 10/23/12 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaggytheshaman (Post 114527142)
Will we ever get another Building Better Bombs album? That would be so AWESOME.

im working on that now. just writing in my room still tho