AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Stream The Gaslight Anthem "Hold You Up" EP (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2938592)

Jason Tate 10/31/12 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zack-182 (Post 114844612)
you're just wrong. your opinion on music is invalid. mine is valid.

happy halloween

Heh, when things like 'Here's Look at You, Kid" exist ... it's gonna be hard to top.

iAMhollyood315 10/31/12 03:31 PM

I wish Brian fallon would just put out a whole acoustic CD like separate from horrible crowes and gaslight. I always enjoy the stripped down acoustic songs he does.

brentstailing 10/31/12 03:52 PM

I have a huge Misery boner right now

oneeightytwo 10/31/12 04:03 PM

Not available in your country. Typical.

bladerdude360 10/31/12 04:07 PM

Dig this. I actually like the "Skinny Love" cover, although I can see some people's complaints about it. It doesn't alter the original drastically, but it definitely has a Gaslight vibe to it.

sakattack123 10/31/12 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popdisaster00 (Post 114845172)
I don't think the Skinny Love cover is that bad. There's something so untouchable about that Bon Iver album that no cover will come close, but this is a solid attempt and most Gaslight fans should be happy to have it.

Agreed, but I'm confused what you mean by "that" Bon Iver album? I feel like as amazing as For Emma is, Bon Iver, Bon Iver is almost universally liked more?

Also I like the cover, the echo is an odd touch, but it's growing on me. Easily the best Bon Iver cover I've ever heard.

popdisaster00 10/31/12 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sakattack123 (Post 114849132)
Agreed, but I'm confused what you mean by "that" Bon Iver album? I feel like as amazing as For Emma is, Bon Iver, Bon Iver is almost universally liked more?

Also I like the cover, the echo is an odd touch, but it's growing on me. Easily the best Bon Iver cover I've ever heard.


I think they're both loved universally. I meant that it's hard to recreate the raw passion from For Emma. That's such a non-studio album, you know? So creating a really polished version of a raw, barely produced song might throw some people off.

Gaugzilla 10/31/12 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popdisaster00 (Post 114845172)
I don't think the Skinny Love cover is that bad. There's something so untouchable about that Bon Iver album that no cover will come close, but this is a solid attempt and most Gaslight fans should be happy to have it.

I don't believe any song is untouchable. This just doesn't add anything new to the song at all, much like his "Everlong" cover. Compare that to, say, his cover of "Teenage Dream" and it just pales.

For example, this cover of "Holocene":


Matt Chylak 10/31/12 06:13 PM

not a fan of the Skinny Love cover. made if he kept his voice all in a lower range and they didn't try to ape the vocal layering.

Archael 10/31/12 08:03 PM

an ep so soon?

Theow593 10/31/12 08:34 PM

It's no this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zznkuk5ZB-o

But that cover of Skinny Love is great.

Ferrari333SP 10/31/12 08:50 PM

"Misery" blows me away; just wow.

Ferrari333SP 10/31/12 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theow593 (Post 114856322)
It's no this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zznkuk5ZB-o

But that cover of Skinny Love is great.

Amazing cover

Hagysaurus Rex 10/31/12 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iAMhollyood315 (Post 114845382)
I wish Brian fallon would just put out a whole acoustic CD like separate from horrible crowes and gaslight. I always enjoy the stripped down acoustic songs he does.

I've been screaming this for years. I swear I think there was plans of that back when The Blues Mary and Italian Lightning were floating around. I love the vibe of his voice over a single acoustic guitar.

salmarnirecho 10/31/12 11:10 PM

Eh, Skinny Love was pretty cringe-worthy for me. Do really enjoy "Misery" and "Hold You Up" though.