AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  Bayside - Covers, Vol. I (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2941972)

Thomas Nassiff 11/04/12 08:38 PM

Bayside - Covers, Vol. I

Bayside - Covers, Vol. I
Release Date: October 23, 2012
Record Label: Gumshoe Records

Bayside has a wealth of early material to boast about, but the band has continued to improve and impress as it has aged. The group’s most recent LP, Killing Time, proved to be one of its strongest records, as Bayside executed with excruciatingly enjoyable precision the formula we’ve grown to love it by. While fans wait patiently for another full batch of Bayside tunes, the New York natives offer up the Covers, Vol. I EP, a collection of five cover songs designed to hold fans over until new music arrives.

The one thing that Bayside does very well on this covers EP – and the EP’s strongest characteristic, in fact – is that the band does a helluva job making these songs sound like Bayside songs. Anthony Raneri’s nasally vocals and Jack O’Shea’s persistent shredding on the guitar are accounted for and produced brilliantly – just because these aren’t original tunes doesn’t mean Bayside took the easy road on this release.

“Be My Baby” opens the EP, and Bayside’s take on the Ronettes’ song that helped make Phil Spector’s Wall of Sound a household term is an enjoyable ride. The guitar work is naturally a strength, with the harmonies and vocal overlays in the chorus providing another nice touch. It wouldn’t be complete without a solo from O’Shea in the bridge, and he doesn’t disappoint. “Runaway” (originally by Del Shannon) sounds musically the most like something we’d find on a Bayside album, with a double-time drumbeat and dark undertones.

The highlight of the release comes in the form of closer “Movin’ Out (Anthony’s Song).” Paying homage to its home state, Bayside’s take on the Billy Joel classic leans, like the other songs do, on the familiarity and nostalgia of the original while infusing interesting bits that make this version special. For this track, Joel’s original piano composition gets treated in the form of some gnarly riffage from O’Shea, and Raneri delivers his best vocal performance on the release. The familiar riff near the end of the original track sounds awesome delivered in the form of distorted guitar licks, and this rendition leaves you itching to start it over as much as it makes you want to spin the original.

The thing with a covers EP is that you’re probably only going to like it as much as you like the originals. I think “Movin’ Out” is the best number here regardless of prior attachments to the original tracks, but Billy Joel also happens to be an artist that I got a heavy dose of in my childhood from my dad…so my opinion isn’t without some natural bias. Hearing one of your favorite bands cover a song that reminds you of past times is always a treat for fans, and with Covers, Vol. 1, Bayside shows that it’s still very much in tune with what will make its fans happy. I’m hoping for more volumes like this one in between future Bayside records.

9/10

Recommended If You Like[sc=63476059]63476059[/sc]
Album Info1. Be My Baby
2. Olliver's Army
3. Runaway
4. Wild Night
5. Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)
Purchase on iTunes, it's only $5!

RyanGarner 11/04/12 09:43 PM

The Billy Joel cover is fantastic, I'll have to check the rest of this out.

fna4 11/04/12 10:22 PM

I'm beginning to think that if a band that's an AP net favorite releases an album of them sharting into a microphone it would still get a good review from the staff.

punchlinekid182 11/05/12 01:36 AM

Very well done take on that billy Joel song, I just somehow liked this band more

punchlinekid182 11/05/12 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fna4 (Post 115015672)
I'm beginning to think that if a band that's an AP net favorite releases an album of them sharting into a microphone it would still get a good review from the staff.

Shut up and drink the koolaid

TDenverFan 11/05/12 03:53 AM

Quote:

All Time Low's Dirty Wor got hammered on here, despite them being an AP favorite

OldSchoolReason 11/05/12 06:30 AM

Oliver's Army is the highlight of the EP for me - but a good release to tide us over until a new full length

ChaseTx 11/05/12 07:04 AM

I said it in another thread, but these songs at times remind me of Warning-era Green Day. Especially "Oliver's Army"

therookielot 11/05/12 08:20 AM

Listening to this album takes me back to the days in my Dad's Oldsmobile listening to Oldies 104.3, so well done.

Thomas Nassiff 11/05/12 09:15 AM

Quote:

One of my favorite bands ever, and a crucial band for me when I was young: http://absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2909452

Extremely well-liked AP.net band: http://absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2774392

Another favorite among some users: http://absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2809762

Point is that I'll give whatever I like a positive score and if my tastes tend to go with the user base, then so be it. And if I go against what most users like...doesn't make a difference to me.

avarice14 11/05/12 10:12 AM

I'll be honest, I love Bayside and I like most of their other covers, but I'm having trouble getting into this album. But I'm glad other kids are digging it!

Gin 11/05/12 11:57 AM

I love Bayside AND Billy Joel like my family (not THAT much of course), but I'm not a huge fan of cover-songs. I def. enjoyed the songs for a few listens when they released the stream, but it's nothing I'd buy to go back to later on.

SteveD 11/05/12 01:51 PM

Great release. Nice review!

Yellowcard2006 11/05/12 08:34 PM

Quote:

Do you think it's a coincidence that most of the bands that are site favorites are fantastic artists?

Ya. Didn't think so.

fna4 11/06/12 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellowcard2006 (Post 115064292)
Do you think it's a coincidence that most of the bands that are site favorites are fantastic artists?

Ya. Didn't think so.

ATL are fantastic artists?