AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Zachy G Mashes A Lot Like Birds + The Weeknd (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2943592)

Jake Denning 11/05/12 09:26 PM

Zachy G Mashes A Lot Like Birds + The Weeknd

Head to the replies to check out Zachary Garren (Strawberry Girls)'s mashup of A Lot Like Bird's "A Blowtorch Is Applied To The Sugar" and The Weeknd's "Wicked Games".

Jake Denning 11/05/12 09:26 PM

EndlessPrisoner 11/05/12 09:28 PM

why would you ever.
fuck this guy.
and I even enjoy ALLB somewhat.

ChaseTx 11/05/12 09:33 PM

I like most of Zac's stuff, but this one doesn't click for me

leftapart 11/05/12 09:42 PM

I'm usually a fan of your work Zaq, but this was crap. The song was just bland and blah and didn't really go anywhere; almost seems like you were trying to create some sort of ballad haha. Stick to your upbeat remixes.

iamlogan 11/05/12 10:09 PM

I really enjoyed it. Zac, DO YO THANG GURLLLL.

bobsheiskawy 11/05/12 10:42 PM

i was going to listen to this, but my head exploded first.

zachary 11/05/12 10:47 PM

just so you guys understand how this came about.... i was getting ready to do an original remix of the ALLB song so i was jamming different ideas under the vocal track by itself. one of the chord progressions i did was the same as The Weeknd's song "Wicked Games" so i decided that instead of just ripping that off, id try a mashup. the two songs were the same key but different tempos. because of this, i had to slow down the ALLB vocal track (i tried speeding up The Weeknd's track but it sounded a lot worse than slowing down the ALLB vocals instead). when i first got the idea, i wasnt sure how itd pan out, but i tweeted that i was thinking about doing a mashup of the two. i was thinking about just giving up on it at first, but a few people said they really wanted to hear it so i did the best i could with it. i think it turned out pretty cool. give it a few listens. if you dont like it, dont listen, its all good :) this is just for people who enjoy it, and you dont have to, dont trip

zachary 11/05/12 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leftapart (Post 115064782)
I'm usually a fan of your work Zaq, but this was crap. The song was just bland and blah and didn't really go anywhere; almost seems like you were trying to create some sort of ballad haha. Stick to your upbeat remixes.

did you hear the ending? i think the guitar at the end turned out really cool. and i like hearing kurt over that beat. its a cool beat

Helen Keller. 11/05/12 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary (Post 115067342)
just so you guys understand how this came about.... i was getting ready to do an original remix of the ALLB song so i was jamming different ideas under the vocal track by itself. one of the chord progressions i did was the same as The Weeknd's song "Wicked Games" so i decided that instead of just ripping that off, id try a mashup. the two songs were the same key but different tempos. because of this, i had to slow down the ALLB vocal track (i tried speeding up The Weeknd's track but it sounded a lot worse than slowing down the ALLB vocals instead). when i first got the idea, i wasnt sure how itd pan out, but i tweeted that i was thinking about doing a mashup of the two. i was thinking about just giving up on it at first, but a few people said they really wanted to hear it so i did the best i could with it. i think it turned out pretty cool. give it a few listens. if you dont like it, dont listen, its all good :) this is just for people who enjoy it, and you dont have to, dont trip

Do you know of any good links for an acapella of Wicked Games? Google is currently failing me.

markymarkmac 11/05/12 11:20 PM

I diggggg. The Weeknd has a lot of talent and this my favorite song by him.

zachary 11/05/12 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helen Keller. (Post 115068102)
Do you know of any good links for an acapella of Wicked Games? Google is currently failing me.

nah, i dont know if you listened to mine, but i just used the original weeknd song + a lot like birds acapella, so i didnt use an acapella by the weeknd. i doubt there are any out there that are very good quality, because homemade acapellas are generally kinda weak.

nowFace 11/06/12 12:01 AM

I like it....but I can honestly say I have never listened to The Weekend before this. Haters gonna hate.

dancelukedance 11/06/12 12:06 AM

Fucking awesome, really enjoyed it. Nice ZG!

leftapart 11/06/12 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary (Post 115067542)
did you hear the ending? i think the guitar at the end turned out really cool. and i like hearing kurt over that beat. its a cool beat

After giving it another listen, I actually really like it!! I guess I just didn't get it at first. When's DGD gonna take you and Strawberry girls out on tour?!? Anyways, see you the 18th!! :hug::slutkiss::redlove::-d

theHECKLER 11/06/12 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary (Post 115067342)

I know this is off topic and you've probably already answered this.... How come you didn't want to join back with DGD? Lost interest with the band?

nowFace 11/06/12 12:34 AM

^^^^^^Wow. Don't even answer that stupid question. Hey why didn't you wan't to rejoin a band you were kicked out of?

vivatoto56 11/06/12 12:41 AM

Wow this is awesome. Way to go.

Prae Omnia 11/06/12 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary (Post 115067542)

The last minute and fifteen seconds is awesome. Keep up the good work dude

zachary 11/06/12 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theHECKLER (Post 115069452)
I know this is off topic and you've probably already answered this.... How come you didn't want to join back with DGD? Lost interest with the band?

josh, the guy that replaced me lives in the same city as them and has a recording studio. i live over 3 hours away from them, so it really wouldnt make sense. plus, i wasnt on the last album, so thatd be kinda weird, especially since i actually had parts written for a couple of those songs (spooks and robot 2 1/2) so itd be even weirder to be playing songs i had parts to, but not playing those parts, you know? haha

anyways, will (swan) and i are working on a new project with tim (dgd bass), matt geise (lower definition vocalist) and loniel robinson (touring drummer for of machines/jonny craig, om&m drum tech). its really frickin cool honestly.

im also doing a project with kurt, hopefully a full length. just him and i. its really really cool, too.

vivatoto56 11/06/12 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary (Post 115070332)
anyways, will (swan) and i are working on a new project with tim (dgd bass), matt geise (lower definition vocalist) and loniel robinson (touring drummer for of machines/jonny craig, om&m drum tech). its really frickin cool honestly.

im also doing a project with kurt, hopefully a full length. just him and i. its really really cool, too.

That all sounds really awesome. Especially the last part, I'm now crazy excited for that.

thedairyfairy 11/06/12 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary (Post 115068812)
nah, i dont know if you listened to mine, but i just used the original weeknd song + a lot like birds acapella, so i didnt use an acapella by the weeknd. i doubt there are any out there that are very good quality, because homemade acapellas are generally kinda weak.

seeing as your friends with all the dgd guys, how would you feel about remixing one of their songs?

theHECKLER 11/06/12 08:48 AM

Quote:

josh, the guy that replaced me lives in the same city as them and has a recording studio. i live over 3 hours away from them, so it really wouldnt make sense. plus, i wasnt on the last album, so thatd be kinda weird, especially since i actually had parts written for a couple of those songs (spooks and robot 2 1/2) so itd be even weirder to be playing songs i had parts to, but not playing those parts, you know? haha

Yeah I see what you're saying. Thanks for answering. Really looking forward to your new projects.

ParkwayTom 11/06/12 08:48 AM

It seems like a good idea, but I couldn't get in to it.

incognitojones 11/06/12 09:06 AM

I'm not like in love with it, but its a unique ass combo and the guitar at the end really brings it together.

dmcaloon 11/06/12 10:18 AM

Quote:

Of course you wrote the guitar parts to my two favorite songs on DBM II haha. Keep up the good work bro.

zachary 11/06/12 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmcaloon (Post 115079042)
Of course you wrote the guitar parts to my two favorite songs on DBM II haha. Keep up the good work bro.

well, my guitar parts arent on the cd versions, but there are 2 instrumental demos of those songs on youtube that have my guitar parts on them. some of the coolest stuff i wrote in my opinion.

zachary 11/06/12 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedairyfairy (Post 115070472)
seeing as your friends with all the dgd guys, how would you feel about remixing one of their songs?

doing remixes for something isnt as easy as just picking a song you dig and "making a remix." there are a few things that go into that make it difficult and usually not possible.

1.) you need the individual tracks (personally, i like working only with a vocal track so that i can create a new song underneath. rarely do i use other parts of the song im remixing aside from vocals) some bands release the individual tracks, but if they dont, its pretty hard to do a cool remix of anything without that. i dont really have any dgd stems.

2.) the songs cant really change tempos. a lot of dgd songs change tempos. for me to do a solid remix, the song has to stay the same tempo, other stuff just gets really wacky and impossible to deal with. i could probably remix something off Happiness potentially, because there are a few songs that dont change tempos, i think. but again, id still need the vocal track by itself, which i dont have, and is kinda hard to get because it requires the engineer/producer of the album to dig that shit up

PunkInfluence09 11/06/12 04:06 PM

This is a total jam. The ending is killer.

I always enjoy Zachs remixes.

thedairyfairy 11/06/12 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary (Post 115086172)
doing remixes for something isnt as easy as just picking a song you dig and "making a remix." there are a few things that go into that make it difficult and usually not possible.

1.) you need the individual tracks (personally, i like working only with a vocal track so that i can create a new song underneath. rarely do i use other parts of the song im remixing aside from vocals) some bands release the individual tracks, but if they dont, its pretty hard to do a cool remix of anything without that. i dont really have any dgd stems.

2.) the songs cant really change tempos. a lot of dgd songs change tempos. for me to do a solid remix, the song has to stay the same tempo, other stuff just gets really wacky and impossible to deal with. i could probably remix something off Happiness potentially, because there are a few songs that dont change tempos, i think. but again, id still need the vocal track by itself, which i dont have, and is kinda hard to get because it requires the engineer/producer of the album to dig that shit up

yeah, the acquisition of stems is what I was mainly asking about with that question. I didn't have any idea if you guys or crumett had that lying around somewhere to just give out to certain people. and seeing as you have a tendency to share cool shit (see: Prepro demos) with people on the internet, I wasn't really sure if they would be willing to just up and give them to you.

Helen Keller. 11/06/12 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary (Post 115068812)

Nah, I know but I was hoping you might know of some from looking for the instrumental. Thanks anyway, though.