AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Interviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
  -  Guardians - 11.14.12 (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2952962)

Jeremy Aaron 11/14/12 07:43 PM

Guardians - 11.14.12

The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Guardians

https://www.facebook.com/GuardiansUK

1. How did you get your band name?

The name “Guardians” came around from months of thinking and angst. Having to re-brand ourselves as our music had progressed. The actual name inspired by Brad’s 48hour stints play “Mass Effect”.

2. How did this band get started?

We are from Wallasey, and formed in 2006 when all the band mates were at school. We are from Wallasey, Wirral ("over the water" from Liverpool), and formed in 2006 when all the band mates were at school - makes it six years we think. Although we've gone through the name change we have the exact same line-up as back then.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

There is no possible way to pin down a set influence due to the wide amount of all music we all listen to. But we find common ground over bands such as the Foo Fighters, LostProphets and Biffy Clyro.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Sean: I'd always love to know what it was like playing with bands like Nirvana and Led Zeppelin when they were at their prime.

Craig: The band think I have an obsession with Joy division, yes I have a tattoo, but it would be awesome seeing what gigging was like back then with them and bands like the Sex Pistols and The Clash.

Mike: I would've liked to have toured with Hendrix to see him be machine on the guitar.

Brad: Either Young Guns, Lower Than Atlantis or Architects would be killer. They all just have a sick time, all the time!

5. Best food to eat on tour?

Sean: I'm a veggie, but other than meat i'll eat anything. Although the others think that I survive on hummus and nothing else.

Craig: Mcdonalds! Or anything Chinese, definitely not hummus though…

Mike: Deffo maccies. Anything from there. Unless it has hummus on it.

Brad: Can't go wrong with a Maccies! Can of Monster wouldn't go amiss either.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

Because apart from the joy of playing our instruments and writing songs people listening and talking about our music is the most exciting thing for us. We don’t exactly get a wage from it… so the reason we do it is for the fun of the experience and seeing people enjoying watching your shows and listening to your songs. Plus we’d listen to yours if you asked…

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Sean: Any member of the Everton squad. Maybe an F1 driver too, that'd be fun.

Mike: Phill 'the power' Taylor, just because I could earn thousands just by throwing pointy things at a board a couple of times a year.

Craig: I’d love to be Usain Bolt, mostly because he’s living legend but also because I’d wanna live in Jamaica.

Brad: Anyone but Paula Radcliffe. It could end messy...

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

As stereotypical as it is, we’d have to thank our parents, from day one they’ve given us nothing support (and lifts). But there’s loads of people, too many to mention her a few people who have tried to give us a leg up in the industry which is pretty hard these days.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

We’d weigh gigs more in the way of the bands, pay to play 'promoters'. Simple enough. There's a lot of things wrong with the music industry in my eyes so anything that'd put more spotlight on unsigned artists would be a step forward. There's insane amounts of talent out there. We’d also band the X factor… apart from Tulisa, she can stay.

10. Memorable tour experience?

Has to be traveling four hours in a tiny van to Durham, killing a rabbit on the way to play to the sound tech and bar man… think one went the toilet at one point too. We had an awesome time in London when we played the 02 academy there too. Stains on hotel sheets, secrets unveiled… we’ll say no more.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

From what we’ve heard it’s a pretty damn cool site giving bands exposure, and fans the chance to discuss all things music!! We had a look around before, you interviewed Lower Than Atlantis! That’s awesome!

12. What is your favourite song to play?

Brad: It changes daily, but if I had to pick it'd be 'Red Eyes'. The song means a whole lot more to me than a lot of people know.

Sean: Yeah 'Red Eyes' too. It kicks off with a big riff. That's a highlight!

Craig: I love the breakdown in Make It Out Alive, and the chorus is Enemy of My Enemy. I just love playing live and losing it on stage!

Mike: Caught in the Crossfire. Simply for the end beatdown!

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

Brad: Salou, Spain. I only went once as a kid but it was just awesome. I'd love to go to Japan though; I'm a big fan of the film 'Lost In Translation'.

Sean: I've been to Cornwall lots. That's nice. But had an amazing holiday in Turkey so would like to go back there again.

Craig: I’ve been Tuscany loads with parents and always enjoyed it, well was shit boring sometimes, I loved the US and Denmark too.

Mike: I love it in America. Specifically Texas apart from the heat. The saying "it's always bigger in Texas" is not a word of a lie! However the beaches in the Algarve are the best in the world.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Sean: Laurel and Hardy, Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer, Blur and Looney Tunes.

Brad: First single I bought (on tape) was Aqua, Barbie Girl… have to go with that!

Craig: My dad was (still thinks he is) a punk, so I heard a lot of the Pistols and Stiff Little Fingers, but you can’t beat '90s classics from school discos!

Mike: Any cheesy '90s pop! I always remember getting compilation CDs full of it! I wish it was something better!

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Sean: Time control.

Craig: That so your on time for soundcheck mate? I’d love to read minds, or fly! And who wouldn’t?

Brad: I'd love to be able to fly too. It's a common answer but I walk pretty much everywhere these days and I'm admittedly lazy so if I could fly, I'd be sorted!

Mike: The ability to sense bullshit and then chase copious amounts of bullshitters and reveal their bullshit to the world/their friends

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

Before every gig we’ll find a quiet place and have a “band hug” and recite an acapella version of Britney Spears ‘Hit Me Baby One More Time’. It gets us in the mood.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

Brad and Mike are both left handed but play right-handed instruments… cool eh? Craig has a bad case of OCD and is constantly tidying the band room and cleaning his guitar. Sean's a veggie!

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

We had some good coverage on BBC Radio 2, and BBC radio Merseyside, and we always use our community radio station to help promote things. It is flooded with manufactured acts like Nicki Minaj and so on, but we feel good music is slowly breaking through, people wanting something.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Brad: The studio we produce our music in is my own so I've just started to regulary record other local bands and projects in down time from the band. I also work as a sound tech in The Cavern Club.

Sean: I'm a huge Evertonian and love football in general, so if ever theres any on the tele, thats me!

Craig: I’m actually really into my dance production stuff, so I sit at my computer for hours recording songs.

Mike: Playing video games, watching football and surfing the web pointlessly for hours on end.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

Sean: I'm such a bad dancer, it's almost a talent.

Craig: If talking your way into and then out of tricky situations counts then I’m professional plus I seem to be pretty good and throwing up after/during shows, no reason why. Sounds strange because it is, ask any band member, any gig… it’s a talent and curse.

Brad: I recently learned how to 'slut drop' so I guess that can go on the list.

Mike: I once did a triple backflip! And that's the truth.