AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Geoff Rickly Releases Mixtape #1 (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2953472)

Keagan Ilvonen 11/15/12 10:52 AM

Geoff Rickly Releases Mixtape #1

You can now download the first piece of Geoff Rickly's (Thursday) new solo material in the form of a mixtape.
From GeoffThere are no strings attached, no hidden marketing games. This doesnít reflect my belief that music should be free or any desire to revolutionize an industry. I just want to do this myself, for now. No art-by-committee, no selling music. Just me & my friends at home, making songs(bedroom songs, songs not too polished up). Iíll keep making more of these and giving them to you when I finish. Maybe someday Iíll make a proper record and sell it. Maybe not.

Submitted by dallad00003

Keagan Ilvonen 11/15/12 10:52 AM

From GeoffFriends-

Here is the first piece of my solo recordings. It’s called Mixtape 1 and its available for a free download here: http://files.geoffrickly.com/Geoff_R..._Mixtape_1.zip

The Mixtape format is meant to be a casual way to try out some new things. There are some brand new songs, along with a cover and a rewrite of one of my oldest favorites. The majority of it was recorded in my apartment in the middle of Hurricane Sandy and the song New Sympathies, in particular, reminds me of those heavy winds and deep waters.

There are no strings attached, no hidden marketing games. This doesn’t reflect my belief that music should be free or any desire to revolutionize an industry. I just want to do this myself, for now. No art-by-committee, no selling music. Just me & my friends at home, making songs(bedroom songs, songs not too polished up). I’ll keep making more of these and giving them to you when I finish. Maybe someday I’ll make a proper record and sell it. Maybe not.

If you’re interested, you can “LIKE” the Facebook page or come see me play these songs and more at one of my few house shows or at a date on my tour with Anthony Green. If you feel like you want to pay for this music, please make a donation to the Red Cross. From the volunteering that I’ve been doing, I can tell you they’ve had a visible and well-organized presence. I also have very small runs of Silk Screen posters that I sell 100 hand-numbered & signed copies of. I make one for each song and they usually disappear pretty quickly. Maybe there are a couple left here for Going to Hell.

Below, I have all the lyrics and artwork posted(on Facebook and Tumblr) so feel free to take what you want of the music and words. As an added note, My Favorite Blue Raincoat is a response to the Leonard Cohen song, “Famous Blue Raincoat.” The friend that he’s writing to, in the original song, is writing back here.

I need to thank Don Devore, Brendan Tobin, Brooks Tipton, Tom Keeley and Anthony Green, for helping me to make this and, of course my Thursday and United Nations family. Most of all, this is a big thanks to YOU. For all the years of support and love you’ve given me in my various projects, I want to extend my fondest appreciation.

Sincerely.
Geoffrey William Rickly

ACA 11/15/12 10:56 AM

Go see him live this winter.

Ohaidere 11/15/12 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACA (Post 115437432)
Go see him live this winter.

There's a house show in Wallingford, CT that I am tempted to go to just for him.

kidinthebushes 11/15/12 11:07 AM

Nothing but respect for this man.

underdawg1119 11/15/12 11:09 AM

Can't wait to check this out.

Chris Collum 11/15/12 11:12 AM

It's alright. I'm mostly just glad he's making music and playing shows.

Wish he'd play somewhere even remotely close to me, though.

dragani 11/15/12 11:15 AM

I can't open this on the computer I'm writing from. Anyone know what the cover song is? Any revived Thursday songs? Either way I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Chris Collum 11/15/12 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragani (Post 115438262)
I can't open this on the computer I'm writing from. Anyone know what the cover song is? Any revived Thursday songs? Either way I'm looking forward to hearing it.

He covers "Climax" by Usher. And no, and I wouldn't expect that.

Daveyhavok832 11/15/12 11:18 AM

I can't extract the files. I keep getting an error.

_veges_ 11/15/12 11:30 AM

Sounds ok, but so far there's nothing that's really grabbed me at all

heyzombiehitler 11/15/12 11:37 AM

this guy needs to make music forever.

circletheworld 11/15/12 11:41 AM

damnnnnnn.. i was surprised how much i like this.

sidenote: please do a tour with UN that comes to the midwest

kazuma_ootaro28 11/15/12 12:08 PM

Awesome! And glad he put the "Climax" cover on there, haha.

InaGreendase 11/15/12 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by circletheworld (Post 115439452)
damnnnnnn.. i was surprised how much i like this.

Same. Not sure what I was expecting, but I'm into it.

saywhatever 11/15/12 12:22 PM

This is really terrible.

Star Slight 11/15/12 12:56 PM

DL'ed for the Climax cover

welp

Alex DiVincenzo 11/15/12 12:56 PM

Awesome

bakerboy420 11/15/12 01:04 PM

Dude has so much potential to make something great. I love Thursday and Geoff's voice but this is not good at all.

Joey-Wan Kenobi 11/15/12 02:00 PM

Geoff is such an all-around good human being.

Vance Mook 11/15/12 02:32 PM

Saw him this past summer playing acoustic sets at Warped, and he seemed really down. Hope everything is well, the set was good so I'll have to check this out when I can.

leftapart 11/15/12 03:43 PM

Seems you either love it or ya hate it... I'm about to find out which category I fall in....

arson 11/15/12 05:44 PM

This made my week.

CrypticHistory 11/15/12 06:06 PM

I can see why some people dislike this because truthfully Geoff isn't really that proficient at singing or playing guitar haha... But I'm really enjoying the lyrics. Climax cover is great too.

edit: Actually digging this much more after a second listen too. "Going to Hell" reminds me a lot of something off of Common Existence. Love it.

hardpill 11/15/12 07:25 PM

Geoff could shit on a cracker and I would plug headphones into it.

terrorishfrank 11/15/12 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardpill (Post 115456092)

HAHAHAHAHA this comment made my day.

SourStuff 11/15/12 08:11 PM

Been waiting for this since Thursday broke up.

Daveyhavok832 11/15/12 08:40 PM

Nobody had any trouble extracting this?

signal to noise 11/15/12 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohaidere (Post 115437852)
There's a house show in Wallingford, CT that I am tempted to go to just for him.

you should totally go! i'm going to both CT and the Springfield, MA show. they're limited to 50 tickets each show!

Quote:

agreed. hard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daveyhavok832 (Post 115458392)

the first time I downloaded it I had an issue with extracting it. it said it was 25mb. then i downloaded it again and it said it was 66.5mb and extracted fine. so i guess.. just try downloading it again?

kazuma_ootaro28 11/16/12 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daveyhavok832 (Post 115458392)

Had a bit of trouble because of the colons in the folder name. He should've labeled it better. I'd suggest extracting the files itself (without the folder) into a new folder.

MikeyAndTheCity 11/16/12 07:15 AM

Downloaded it yesterday! I'm enjoying it so far. The first thing that crossed my mind was "too bad there wasn't a torrent file", just to relieve him of some bandwidth. I can't imagine it's all that cheap to have thousands of people downloading this. So much respect for him. I hope I can catch him live one of these days.

Quote:

haha definitely!

ramomcferno 11/16/12 07:44 AM

I like it. I am going to try to catch him with Anthony Green.

syntax omitted 11/16/12 10:14 AM

None of this was good.

Daveyhavok832 11/16/12 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazuma_ootaro28 (Post 115461462)
Had a bit of trouble because of the colons in the folder name. He should've labeled it better. I'd suggest extracting the files itself (without the folder) into a new folder.

cool. thanks for the help.

buddah knome 11/16/12 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vance Mook (Post 115445702)
Saw him this past summer playing acoustic sets at Warped, and he seemed really down. Hope everything is well, the set was good so I'll have to check this out when I can.

if I'm not mistaken I remember him saying something along the lines of he got kicked out of where he was living before the tour started. Could be wrong about that but that could be why he seemed down.

tender 11/17/12 06:42 AM

Right now if you are reading this Chanel Replicas you are reading my blog and this is my home business. I have tried many things over the years and I have evolved from chanel evening handbags affiliate marketing to blogging. But it’s more than chanel shoulder handbags the blog and it’s not even about the words on this post because there are literally thousands of other people out there using this same blogging platform and they might hate to write or make videos, but they are doing it anyway.

Vance Mook 11/17/12 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddah knome (Post 115472852)
if I'm not mistaken I remember him saying something along the lines of he got kicked out of where he was living before the tour started. Could be wrong about that but that could be why he seemed down.

Okay, I remember that too now. Very good point haha

Shatter_Glass 11/17/12 09:44 PM

Geoff rulz