AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Entertainment (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
  -  The Stand (Josh Boone, 2015) (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2955622)

ChaseTx 11/17/12 01:59 PM

The Stand (Josh Boone, 2015)
 
Looks like Ben Affleck is working on an adaptation of Stephen King's The Stand

Quote:

The task of turning Stephen King’s The Stand into a feature-length movie has long been viewed as a difficult one at best (a near-insurmountable challenge at worst), for one simple reason: the original book – which varies from 800-1100 pages long, depending on the edition – is divided into three segments which could each suffice as an individual film on its own (amusingly, it’s the opposite of the dilemma facing Peter Jackson’s Hobbit trilogy, where one book is stretched over three films).
Ben Affleck was recruited by Warner Bros. a year ago to help screenwriter David Kajganich (Blood Creek) condense King’s tome into a manageable size, with the plan for Affleck to direct. The Oscar-winner has since been linked to other projects – and with good reason, given the (lack of) progress being made on The Stand.


For the uninitiated, King’s novel is composed of three sections. The first (“Captain Trips”) details the collapse of our civilization as the result of a human-engineered super flu; the second (“On the Border”) picks up in a post-apocalyptic wasteland where the few survivors rally around two spiritual leaders (one for good, the other evil); the third segment (“The Stand”) chronicles the final confrontation between the dual human camps, in a battle that will determine the future of our world. Here is what Affleck had to offer GQ about adapting all three portions of The Stand:
“Right now we’re having a very hard time,” he says. “But I like the idea—it’s like The Lord of the Ringsin America. And it’s about how we would reinvent ourselves as a society. If we started all over again, what would we do?”


http://screenrant.com/ben-affleck-st...g-stand-movie/

Farva2 11/17/12 02:50 PM

I hope this pans out, affleck is 3 for 3.

drudo182 11/17/12 03:22 PM

Really needs to be more than one film.

extrakonami 11/17/12 04:11 PM

I really need to catch up on my Affleck. I've heard nothing but good things about his films, and I still haven't gotten around to them.

mattyrocks 11/17/12 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farva2 (Post 115501462)
I hope this pans out, affleck is 3 for 3.


whats the third film besides the town and argo?

vivatoto56 11/17/12 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattyrocks (Post 115502942)
whats the third film besides the town and argo?


Gone Baby Gone...duh

vivatoto56 11/17/12 04:29 PM

King! King! King! King!

mattyrocks 11/17/12 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivatoto56 (Post 115503242)
Gone Baby Gone...duh


ahh damn silly me

vivatoto56 11/17/12 10:31 PM

As a side note, I loved the original mini series. It was really cheesy but it followed the book well, and honestly that is the most important part.

I'm hoping for a super bad ass Flagg and a better middle section, by which I mean when everything starts going crazy, the part of the book where you don't actually read about any of the characters for a very long time and all the riots break out

The ending is one of those things that will always be hard to adapt, much like the ending of It, so hopefully they figure that out.

claw38 11/17/12 11:26 PM

Hoooooly shit, one of my favorite books being adapted by one of the best directors out there now (3 for 3!)...split into a few movies, concentrate on being faithful and badass, and this could be perfect.

TomAce 11/18/12 10:36 AM

say what you will about his acting, but the guy knows how to write one hell of a movie. with this source material, if this comes through, it'll be amazing.

TomAce 11/18/12 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivatoto56 (Post 115511252)
As a side note, I loved the original mini series. It was really cheesy but it followed the book well, and honestly that is the most important part.

I'm hoping for a super bad ass Flagg and a better middle section, by which I mean when everything starts going crazy, the part of the book where you don't actually read about any of the characters for a very long time and all the riots break out

The ending is one of those things that will always be hard to adapt, much like the ending of It, so hopefully they figure that out.


for real, i love that mini series.

i already have Flagg cast in my head as Viggo Mortensen

and yeah, thats the problem I have with King. dude always flies totally off the railings with his endings.

TomAce 11/18/12 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claw38 (Post 115511952)
Hoooooly shit, one of my favorite books being adapted by one of the best directors out there now (3 for 3!)...split into a few movies, concentrate on being faithful and badass, and this could be perfect.


id rather it be one single 3 hour movie.

Lord_Shmi 11/18/12 10:52 AM

Um, more like 1 for 3

caveBEAR 11/18/12 11:14 AM

The ending to The Stand disapointed me more than anything else I've ever read - except King's other novels. Dude should hire someone just to write the last 25 pages of all his books.