AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Saosin in the Studio (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2957232)

Beej 347 11/19/12 02:19 PM

brandon bolmer should do vocals

parkerisjolley 11/19/12 02:20 PM

I remember back when their s/t full length came out they were on the cover of altpress and I remember cove saying in the interview if he ever left the band he didn't think they would go on, but right after one of the guitarists said that if cove left chances are he would take over on vocals, I'm pretty sure if was beau who said that. of course, this was a really long time ago

Spencer Control 11/19/12 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeropunk16 (Post 115564992)
I still would love to have an instrumental album. But that's just me.

Me too. I wouldn't mind standard Saosin either, though... although getting standard Saosin is a pretty low chance.

sordanj 11/19/12 02:51 PM

These guys were on the forefront of the post-hardcore scene back in the day, they really were so influential in shaping a sect of the scene in the last few years. I really think their time has passed, and I doubt anything they release will ever be relevant again. I see them going more mainstream metalcore-esque to cash in on current trends and getting by largely on their name alone.

The only way they'd have a chance getting back on top is if they somehow got Anthony to do either a reunion tour, a song, or even an album. Which will never, ever, ever, ever happen.

Steeeve Perry 11/19/12 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quickandsilver (Post 115572752)
I bet my left nut that Anthony Green will be singing on the next record.

You would not say that without anonymity!

bobcatbob18 11/19/12 03:24 PM

Just as long as their drummer keeps drumming, I will listen to whatever he plays in. Dude is a super underrated beast and really creative.

Steeeve Perry 11/19/12 03:26 PM

They fell off for two reasons. Their first EP and first LP were both amazing, even if they had different vocalists. Then they tried to write a lot more songs like You're Not Alone (or, possibly, I Never Wanted To, which Cove told me was his favourite of their songs) for their follow-up and it fell flat. The songwriting was mostly uninspired and the production was poor.
Secondly, Cove's voice dropped off. Some people didn't think he could sing live to start with but I saw them every time they toured Australia, on their own, with the Taste of Chaos tour (remember those?), with the Soundwave Tour, with Story of the Year. Cove sounded and performed great until that last tour, when he seemed uninterested and his vox were off. Shortly after he was dropped.

This band is one album (albeit quite a few years -- six, I think) removed from a killer record. I'm holiding onto some hope.

Peerless 11/19/12 03:27 PM

That picture doesn't mean squat diddly.

Could be any one of the Saosin members doing 'studio work' for another project or band. I'm pretty sure Beau is a producer. He could totally be producing or working on something else.

Atavistic 11/19/12 03:52 PM

I don't get people saying they want an instrumental album. The last record was very bland in all areas.

SteveD 11/19/12 04:14 PM

I don't understand how this band catches so much heat in the scene. They are great. Sure Cove was terrible live, but this still wrote some amazing tracks.

Quijiba 11/19/12 04:14 PM

I don't understand all the secrecy this band operates under.

JCSurf27 11/19/12 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobcatbob18 (Post 115575962)
Just as long as their drummer keeps drumming, I will listen to whatever he plays in. Dude is a super underrated beast and really creative.

This.

Miketheunicycle 11/19/12 06:07 PM

been too long theyve got a lot to prove

renzenkuken 11/19/12 07:01 PM

They've become a joke... a dam punchline. Pretty sad actually...

Jamos4184 11/19/12 07:11 PM

I thought they already recorded an album with Tilian?

Jason949 11/19/12 07:29 PM

color me stoked.

PunkInfluence09 11/19/12 07:55 PM

We here about this.... What? 2-3 times a year? It's hard to get excited about anything when it comes to Saosin anymore :/

HCO SF 87 11/19/12 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeeve Perry (Post 115576032)
They fell off for two reasons. Their first EP and first LP were both amazing, even if they had different vocalists. Then they tried to write a lot more songs like You're Not Alone (or, possibly, I Never Wanted To, which Cove told me was his favourite of their songs) for their follow-up and it fell flat. The songwriting was mostly uninspired and the production was poor.
Secondly, Cove's voice dropped off. Some people didn't think he could sing live to start with but I saw them every time they toured Australia, on their own, with the Taste of Chaos tour (remember those?), with the Soundwave Tour, with Story of the Year. Cove sounded and performed great until that last tour, when he seemed uninterested and his vox were off. Shortly after he was dropped.

This band is one album (albeit quite a few years -- six, I think) removed from a killer record. I'm holiding onto some hope.

I just can't figure out why there was such a drastic drop in quality form their first to second album. Their S/T is amazing like you said. The guitar work and drumming is great, and every song is extremely catchy. ISOSG is the complete opposite. Weak guitar work, boring drumming, no catchiness at all. I can understand it not being as good as the S/T but it's just crazy how shitty they got.

xjdizzle 11/19/12 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophGod (Post 115564422)
i feel like this news gets posted once a year.

any word on a vocalist? better question, why do i even care?

Lol seriously! What are they going to release the album when they reach 35? They would have no fan base by then...

Mattylikesfilms 11/19/12 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rysker6 (Post 115571562)
I used to love Saosin, but with their parting ways with Cove being so cold, and the comments certain members have made about him, have left a bad taste in my mouth.

This pretty sums up my feelings. The band should have kept Cove IMO. While ISOSG was a big let down- it did have some solid jams and I'm sure with the right producer the band could have made a comeback on the follow up.

Steeeve Perry 11/19/12 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quijiba (Post 115577742)
I don't understand all the secrecy this band operates under.

I get the feeling that most of the time they don't know what the fuck they are actually doing. Thus the secrecy.

"We're in the studio!"
"So, you have a few songs, what are your plans?"
"... it's a secret"

theherox 11/19/12 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeropunk16 (Post 115564992)
I still would love to have an instrumental album. But that's just me.

thats kind of a fantastic idea

thesollopsist 11/19/12 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by specialeds281 (Post 115568492)
They should jump on the 10 year reunion tour train. Bring back Anthony for the tour...and while they are at it, let him do the vocals.

this

InfiniteArms 11/20/12 02:58 AM

Am I the only one excited for whatever comes?

Quijiba 11/20/12 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeeve Perry (Post 115589862)
I get the feeling that most of the time they don't know what the fuck they are actually doing. Thus the secrecy.

"We're in the studio!"
"So, you have a few songs, what are your plans?"
"... it's a secret"

lol very possible

Mario57 11/20/12 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peerless (Post 115576072)
That picture doesn't mean squat diddly.

Could be any one of the Saosin members doing 'studio work' for another project or band. I'm pretty sure Beau is a producer. He could totally be producing or working on something else.

it's possible but then it's just stupid to post it on Saosin's twitter.

honkytonk 11/20/12 10:57 AM

Love the s/t so much, but I'm just tired of hearing about this stuff.

beauvais910 11/20/12 11:54 AM

Bring back Anthony and we'll talk.

ShotgunGold 11/20/12 12:51 PM

That EP, the white one, that starts off with 'Seven Years', I've forgotten the name of it.

Can you get it on vinyl anywhere??

Steeeve Perry 11/20/12 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShotgunGold (Post 115611282)
That EP, the white one, that starts off with 'Seven Years', I've forgotten the name of it.

Can you get it on vinyl anywhere??

It's called Translating the Name. If there are vinyls available, try the interwebs.

Rysker6 11/21/12 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattylikesfilms (Post 115589742)
This pretty sums up my feelings. The band should have kept Cove IMO. While ISOSG was a big let down- it did have some solid jams and I'm sure with the right producer the band could have made a comeback on the follow up.

Exactly, I get ripped everytime I say that too. ISOSG had some solid songs, it would have been better had they used the songs from the "heavy EP" they alwasy talked about. And also Cove, had he taken care of his voice better I think things would have unfolded differently. I personally saw Saosin 3 times, and Cove was spot on each time.

Mattylikesfilms 11/21/12 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rysker6 (Post 115649542)
Exactly, I get ripped everytime I say that too. ISOSG had some solid songs, it would have been better had they used the songs from the "heavy EP" they alwasy talked about. And also Cove, had he taken care of his voice better I think things would have unfolded differently. I personally saw Saosin 3 times, and Cove was spot on each time.

Yeah I saw them only once but he sounded good to me. The band just should have back pedaled a little when they were trying to make both experimental and commercial songs and keep what made their fans love them in the first place in the forefront. If that makes sense. I feel like ISOSG was a band that (ironically) were all over the place and definitely not on solid ground.

Rysker6 11/21/12 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattylikesfilms (Post 115650002)
Yeah I saw them only once but he sounded good to me. The band just should have back pedaled a little when they were trying to make both experimental and commercial songs and keep what made their fans love them in the first place in the forefront. If that makes sense. I feel like ISOSG was a band that (ironically) were all over the place and definitely not on solid ground.

That album seemed doomed in many ways from the get go. From outside writers, to producer changes, to the label, to people expecting Saosin II, and the amount of time it took. Like many, I did in fact want a Saosin II....I still do.

Mattylikesfilms 11/21/12 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rysker6 (Post 115651272)
That album seemed doomed in many ways from the get go. From outside writers, to producer changes, to the label, to people expecting Saosin II, and the amount of time it took. Like many, I did in fact want a Saosin II....I still do.

Yeah i agree, it was definitely odds against them and it didnt end well. I also think their S/T was fantastic with really powerful songs (come close) that still hold up IMO and would love a Saosin II.

Erik Bihl 11/22/12 10:45 AM

YES

StartAngry&Mad 11/24/12 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beej 347 (Post 115573582)
brandon bolmer should do vocals

I've always thought that he'd have been a great fit with them, back in the days of Yesterdays Rising's temporary hiatuses (before it became permanent), and long before he was in Chiodos.
I don't know if Saosin can ever become relevant again? But maybe if they got lucky supporting the right band(s) on the right tour, and if they did manage to kick out a good new record.

Coincidentally I've had the s/t on my phone for the past couple weeks after having ignored it for years, it's still pretty solid, although I think I was always a little let down by it, too similar tempo I think?

Zento 11/25/12 08:48 PM

The only way for this band to try and maintain any credibility and respect is to simply start communicating much more with their fans, or better yet: Release a track, a demo, something, as soon as possible with at least some information.

The biggest issue here is that they tell us nothing. It's like Valve with Half-Life 3 but at least we know that is actually happening...

NJDevils1214 11/28/12 01:11 AM

I really liked Translating the Name. Even their S/T fell a little short to me. It is incredibly popular but I really liked the EP. They caged Alex(the drummer) in too much. Part of what made TTN so good was his amazing fills and basically everything else he did too. I would love to hear them get back to the sound that they started with when AG was in the band, screams and such. AG was important but he wasn't everything good about the band. I'm going to remain hopeful about Saosin, they are all good musicians. Just hoping they can still write and maybe be inspired to regress to 2003 for an album :-d