AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Interviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
  -  Thrift Store Talent - 11.19.12 (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2957702)

Jeremy Aaron 11/19/12 04:40 PM

Thrift Store Talent - 11.19.12

The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Thrift Store Talent

http://thriftstoretalent.bandcamp.com (Free album download)
http://facebook.com/thriftstoretalent

1. How did you get your band name?

This one just happened to come from my wife during conversation. We were talking about how terrible and cheap we were. I mean, we were tying the recording mic cable to one of the ceiling fan blades, because we had no stands, and if you've ever tried to record a song with good quality and crisp voices, you can't be holding the mic or you'll get these weird pops and stirs in the mix, like someone's rubbing a piece of wet cloth right next to your ear. So we were both laughing and joking about that and how the electricity had been cut off half-way through one of our recording sessions, so we lost everything from the last 4 or 5 hours worth of work. It was awful. But we were laughing about it in that kind of live-and-learn way, not really filled with regret, but with memories. And we realized that if there was any possibility for us to get noticed for our music at all, we'd have to just give it away all the time. As long as it was our choice, it'd be free. Summer, my wife, said, "We don't have that popular, mainstream, successful kind of talent. What we have is more like a thrift store talent."

2. How did this band get started?

The beginnings of Thrift took place in March 2007 when Jeremy had to depart from Tapers Down for personal reasons. Besides a few scattered lyrics and unapplied riffs, there was no real order, and there wasn't much that got done in the way of music for about a year for us after that.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

Right Away, Great Captain!, Tigers On Trains, Bright Eyes, Dashboard Confessional, and Death Cab For Cutie

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

1. Manchester Orchestra, because there's not a setlist they could create that I wouldn't enjoy
2. The Republic of Wolves, because I've never seen a band play so beautifully and accurately live.
3. Bad Books, because they remind me of the 50's, without all the stupid.
4. Neutral Milk Hotel, just because.
5. Right Away, Great Captain!, because Andy Hull draws the kind of crowd that would also enjoy my music.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

Dunno yet. I would guess Red Bull and fried chicken. And lots of Pepto (more for the nausea than the chicken).

6. Why should people listen to your band?

Because it's free... err, and according to a survey I just made up, the frequencies of our songs slowly increase attractiveness in listeners.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Alexander Polli, because I wanna look like a flamboyant flying squirrel.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Everyone except God. God doesn't give one poop about what happens at the grammys, nor would He maneuver things to get me one.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

Everyone would have to cut off their radio antennas and only get music from the internet and through hipster music shops. The world is too underexposed and it needs to stop.

10. Memorable tour experience?

I got to touch Cody Bonnette's guitar at the As Cities Burn reunion show in Dallas, TX. He looked at me funny when i did it though. I think it's because I played the wrong note.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

Relevant news. There's nothing that I just flat-out ignore on this site. It's always filled with new and exciting music, and Jason's ramblings, and new site changes, and I just love the energy here.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

Neutral Milk Hotel - "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea"

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

1. New Zealand
2. Portuguese Archipelago

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Celine Dion, 80's and 90's Disney movie songs. (I didn't get much exposure as a child.)

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Semi-x-ray vision, because I'm a man.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

1 - 2 Ativan as needed, and pray that I don't have a panic attack.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

I'm left-handed.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

No. It's a place where my writing could flourish. I can write decent lyrics and a catchy melody, but my voice isn't one for the radio. It's not what the majority of people want to hear, and that's cool with me. Those artists usually end up getting the shaft anyway.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Write books, draw, paint, skateboard, play my PS3.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

I can tell if someone is British just from looking at their nose.

InfiniteArms 11/19/12 09:36 PM

Quote:

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

I can tell if someone is British just from looking at their nose.

That is quite a talent. O_O