AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  What Makes an Album a Classic? (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2958982)

Thomas Nassiff 11/22/12 10:54 AM

For me, calling an album a "classic" has a lot to do with the personal relationship you have with an album. For me, The '59 Sound is a "classic" album already but I can understand why a lot of people would disagree. That was the first CD I bought when I had my own car. I developed a relationship with that album so to me, it's on that level. I am reluctant to call things released very recently a "classic," though. There are certain album that I think will hold up very well over time - usually when I think that, I'll include it in my review of the album - but I wouldn't call them classics right off the bat. The Kanye record may very well hold up and become a great album in that genre, but I don't think we should call it a classic until we can look back upon it and see its true reach and influence. If you want to call it a classic because of what it means to you personally, I suppose that's a different story...but it still hasn't been out very long.

That being said, I'm not opposed to dubbing certain albums as "classics" even though I don't enjoy them. I'm not a very big fan of The Beatles, but that doesn't mean they don't have classic albums. That goes for "scene" records from the early 2000s as well that I may not enjoy as much as others on this website.

Thomas Nassiff 11/22/12 10:55 AM

This is a really cool discussion, wish I had been around when it was going on. Star Slight was super Star Slight in this one.

OneAndrewWest 11/22/12 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saywhatever (Post 115621572)
You're confusing "personal favorite albums" with "classics".

You may be right, I guess everyone has their own person classics in each genre.

luvsickcatalyst 11/22/12 05:45 PM

It's a good article, but it's sites like Pitchfork that make modern music fans so apt to call out an album as a "classic" or total shit within a week of it coming out. They've become as synonymous for shaming indie bands as they are for anointing rising acts with a "Best New Music" tag, resulting in equally judgmental music fans. I think the only way this critical period of labeling music can be remedied is through music sites gearing less towards reviewing every new album and more constant, opinion-less streaming/featuring of artists they enjoy. People will likely feel less of a need to always have two cents on an album and be more interested in seeking out new artists and albums that they enjoy.

Star Slight 11/22/12 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Nassiff (Post 115664792)
This is a really cool discussion, wish I had been around when it was going on. Star Slight was super Star Slight in this one.

Bring it on dork

Thomas Nassiff 11/23/12 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Star Slight (Post 115672272)
Bring it on dork

marsvoltamcr 11/24/12 03:54 PM

Bleed The Dream - Built By Blood
Alexisonfire - Alexisonfire
Funeral For A Friend - Casually Dressed And Deep In Conversation
The Fall of Troy - Manipulator
Finch - Say Hello To Sunshine

those are all examples of modern classics imo

The Gryphonator 11/24/12 04:15 PM

This has been stated, but really I think it comes down to "Personal Classic" vs. "Classic."