AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  POZ Presents: YMAEWK Song Stream (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2963902)

Drew Beringer 11/26/12 12:27 PM

POZ Presents: YMAEWK Song Stream
 
PropertyOfZack is also streaming a new You, Me, And Everyone We Know song here.

madisonprep 11/26/12 12:32 PM

Was holding out high hopes...but it didn't deliver upon first listen. I'm hoping it grows on me...

herestoyoufla 11/26/12 12:34 PM

Love this.

Kdenisarealboy 11/26/12 12:37 PM

Is this any good? I have high hopes for this but can't listen until I get home.

The other song released a week ago was pretty short :(

ched zeppelin 11/26/12 12:41 PM

This is the best!!!!!!

kskillzz 11/26/12 12:42 PM

I was kind of on the fence after the song was released last week, but I'm really loving this one.

ched zeppelin 11/26/12 12:43 PM

You Me And Everyone haven't released one bad song. I just wish it was 10 songs not 3.

sammyboy516 11/26/12 12:56 PM

Soooooog goooooood

I am Mick 11/26/12 12:57 PM

Really let down by the two released songs. Sounds like a typical song a kid recorded on his macbook

SomedayTheFire 11/26/12 01:06 PM

the production seems really really poor on both songs. they're also horribly boring.

JayBee420 11/26/12 01:10 PM

This is awesome. Production sounds pretty cool too. I don't understand any of these negative comments lol. Haters gonna hate I guess.

Mikeallover 11/26/12 01:18 PM

This is really good.

Jack Appleby 11/26/12 01:19 PM

If we're being really picky, no - I wouldn't say the instrumentals here are quite as good/interesting as previous YMAEWK.
But I do really enjoy this, as I did the song last week.
Always enjoyed his lyrics.

jimmyeatsboys 11/26/12 01:24 PM

haters gonna hate... aside from the hi-hat at the beginning (don't like) i dont hear anything wrong with this production.

SomedayTheFire 11/26/12 01:27 PM

haters gonna hate has to be the single worst saying on the internet. I'm not a "hater" because I don't like two new songs. children.

acornwe2 11/26/12 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomedayTheFire (Post 115765742)
haters gonna hate has to be the single worst saying on the internet. I'm not a "hater" because I don't like two new songs. children.


This hater looks to be hating...

Zummy 11/26/12 01:52 PM

I've really liked the songs that have been put out. I honestly don't listen to that much pop-punk any more but this shit gets me excited!

edit: Saying a song sucks and is shit is you hating on it, bro. I don't know what you definition of hating is but it's not the correct definition. If you don't like the song that's fine but recognize you are hating on it.

ALT/MSC/FAN 11/26/12 01:53 PM

Both of these songs ("Coming Up Short", "I'm Alright") are fucking superb. I've waited two long years for these songs, and I'm glad they lived up to everything I was hoping. Now I'm just praying for some tour dates sometime soon.

renedex 11/26/12 02:03 PM

hmmm not sure about this. i'm alright was more promising. but, y'know, only one minute long. if this is 2/3 of the EP i really hope the last song is something special!

madisonprep 11/26/12 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kdenisarealboy (Post 115763212)
Is this any good? I have high hopes for this but can't listen until I get home.

The other song released a week ago was pretty short :(

I hate to disappoint, but I wasn't impressed by this at all. I haven't listened to last week's song that was released...but this lacks the lyrics that I used to love from YMAEWK tracks. Also...the production is pretty weak.

Kdenisarealboy 11/26/12 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madisonprep (Post 115767242)
I hate to disappoint, but I wasn't impressed by this at all. I haven't listened to last week's song that was released...but this lacks the lyrics that I used to love from YMAEWK tracks. Also...the production is pretty weak.

I can hear what you mean. Still enjoyed it though! I just want some more songs... 3 songs is so dissapointing

cut!print 11/26/12 02:34 PM

I like it. That's all that matters in the long run.

LivingTheLyrics 11/26/12 03:31 PM

This is so fucking good. Holy wow I enjoy this band too much.

Matt Chylak 11/26/12 05:01 PM

his songs are always fun listens.

DrewDooWop 11/26/12 05:08 PM

Love it!

MILFCORE 11/26/12 05:34 PM

Please believe me, this isn't where I want to be...

sweepthenation 11/26/12 06:01 PM

Need moar

moesizlack 11/26/12 06:11 PM

drums and bass sound sampled/triggered. bummer.

Helen Keller. 11/26/12 06:19 PM

The production sucks, but the song itself is really great. Glad to hear Liebsch's kickass voice again.

Sfudgie1985 11/26/12 06:48 PM

You, Me, And Wait Didn't Everyone Quit This Band

gameguru990 11/26/12 06:54 PM

I love this.

TelAllUrFriends 11/26/12 10:14 PM

Awesome!!

Hojonny 11/26/12 10:19 PM

Really digging the song, but as I said for the last song, the mixing/production just sounds so sub-par it's annoying. Imagining this getting a proper recording/mastering is exciting. Hopeful for the future.

LastDeclaration 11/26/12 10:30 PM

dude really lost his testicles after the first couple eps.

LastDeclaration 11/26/12 10:31 PM

also the verses sound identical to every other song he's written

ched zeppelin 11/27/12 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LastDeclaration (Post 115790162)
also the verses sound identical to every other song he's written

Are your ears broken?

brussel sprouts 11/27/12 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LastDeclaration (Post 115790112)
dude really lost his testicles after the first couple eps.


How do you mean?

plyb 11/27/12 06:33 AM

Other than the vocalist, who is in the band at this point?

kevinjordan 11/27/12 09:22 AM

Appreciaters gonna appreciate.

kevinjordan 11/27/12 09:24 AM

I can dig. Give us a full length!

LastDeclaration 11/28/12 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brussel sprouts (Post 115792272)
How do you mean?

Well, first I have to admit that that statement was a bit hyperbolic, and it's really a matter of personal taste, but...

I think, more than anything, the thing that really turned me on to YMAEWK in the beginning was the masculine badassery and general awesomeness of the music compared to the majority of the bands in the genre. It was a breath of fresh air to hear someone singing about sluts being sluts, dumbass bimbos we use for sex, etc. and not the generic toolbox lyrics that have become ubiquitous in emo/pop-punk. It seems like this vibe of badassery was mostly missing on Some Things Don't Wash Out, and the sound on the album was oriented more towards YMAEWK'S female fanbase than previous releases. Though I still really liked the album, this perceived lack of what initially made me love YMAEWK disappointed me immensely and made it fall short of the first EP. Comparing a song like Dirty Laundry to, say, I'm Losing Weight for You or A Bigger Point of Pride, I personally get the impression that the music really lost some "balls" in terms of lyrics and overall sound.

The perfect analogy for this would be the progression of the Bemis and Say Anything; IARB obviously had kickass lyrics - possibly the best lyrics of any album in the genre. There was distinct, unabashed masculinity, and perhaps even misogyny, to the lyrics that I had never heard in the genre before. I never had to feel embarrassed for listening to the album in a car full of sausages. Even the most sentimental songs, like Alive with the Glory of Love for example, had a tone of badassery that kept the Bemis from entering toolbox territory. This tone was missing in 99% of pop/emo music at the time (and is still missing), and I think that (among other things, of course) it was what gave IARB a massive appeal to males that other emo albums never could muster, and it allowed SA to move beyond genre limitations to reach widespread acclaim among all audiences. Then, after IARB, there was a gradual but clear transformation as Bem-Dawg became more popular and self-assured (I assume that's the reason) and then we started getting songs like Shiksa (still one of my favorite SA songs regardless of the shitty chorus lyrics) and mother-fucking Crush'd. Now I love the self-titled, and i even think Crush'd is a quality song, but, starting with the self-titled, I really had to start making excuses with myself to like these songs and search for reasons to approve of the lyrics. SA started becoming as much of a guilty pleasure as bands like Cute Is What We Aim For or Mayday Parade. SA, I think, lost the universal appeal that was present in IARB and became more of a typical emo band.

Of course YMAEWK hasn't even approached the point that Bemis has reached, but the principle is the same, and it's what I was trying to allude to in my admittedly hyperbolic statement above. All of this might make me sound a bit misogynistic - certainly politically incorrect at least - and the uber-liberals on AP might pounce on me, but actually, I think that political incorrectness might have been exactly what appealed to me - YMAEWK wasn't afraid to write about wanting to fuck sluts or dicks out and pissing. It seems like now they might be afraid to offend (or just creep out) their female listeners.

brussel sprouts 11/28/12 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LastDeclaration (Post 115852472)
Well, first I have to admit that that statement was a bit hyperbolic, and it's really a matter of personal taste, but...

I think, more than anything, the thing that really turned me on to YMAEWK in the beginning was the masculine badassery and general awesomeness of the music compared to the majority of the bands in the genre. It was a breath of fresh air to hear someone singing about sluts being sluts, dumbass bimbos we use for sex, etc. and not the generic toolbox lyrics that have become ubiquitous in emo/pop-punk. It seems like this vibe of badassery was mostly missing on Some Things Don't Wash Out, and the sound on the album was oriented more towards YMAEWK'S female fanbase than previous releases. Though I still really liked the album, this perceived lack of what initially made me love YMAEWK disappointed me immensely and made it fall short of the first EP. Comparing a song like Dirty Laundry to, say, I'm Losing Weight for You or A Bigger Point of Pride, I personally get the impression that the music really lost some "balls" in terms of lyrics and overall sound.

The perfect analogy for this would be the progression of the Bemis and Say Anything; IARB obviously had kickass lyrics - possibly the best lyrics of any album in the genre. There was distinct, unabashed masculinity, and perhaps even misogyny, to the lyrics that I had never heard in the genre before. I never had to feel embarrassed for listening to the album in a car full of sausages. Even the most sentimental songs, like Alive with the Glory of Love for example, had a tone of badassery that kept the Bemis from entering toolbox territory. This tone was missing in 99% of pop/emo music at the time (and is still missing), and I think that (among other things, of course) it was what gave IARB a massive appeal to males that other emo albums never could muster, and it allowed SA to move beyond genre limitations to reach widespread acclaim among all audiences. Then, after IARB, there was a gradual but clear transformation as Bem-Dawg became more popular and self-assured (I assume that's the reason) and then we started getting songs like Shiksa (still one of my favorite SA songs regardless of the shitty chorus lyrics) and mother-fucking Crush'd. Now I love the self-titled, and i even think Crush'd is a quality song, but, starting with the self-titled, I really had to start making excuses with myself to like these songs and search for reasons to approve of the lyrics. SA started becoming as much of a guilty pleasure as bands like Cute Is What We Aim For or Mayday Parade. SA, I think, lost the universal appeal that was present in IARB and became more of a typical emo band.

Of course YMAEWK hasn't even approached the point that Bemis has reached, but the principle is the same, and it's what I was trying to allude to in my admittedly hyperbolic statement above. All of this might make me sound a bit misogynistic - certainly politically incorrect at least - and the uber-liberals on AP might pounce on me, but actually, I think that political incorrectness might have been exactly what appealed to me - YMAEWK wasn't afraid to write about wanting to fuck sluts or dicks out and pissing. It seems like now they might be afraid to offend (or just creep out) their female listeners.


Quote:

Originally Posted by LastDeclaration (Post 115852472)
Well, first I have to admit that that statement was a bit hyperbolic, and it's really a matter of personal taste, but...

I think, more than anything, the thing that really turned me on to YMAEWK in the beginning was the masculine badassery and general awesomeness of the music compared to the majority of the bands in the genre. It was a breath of fresh air to hear someone singing about sluts being sluts, dumbass bimbos we use for sex, etc. and not the generic toolbox lyrics that have become ubiquitous in emo/pop-punk. It seems like this vibe of badassery was mostly missing on Some Things Don't Wash Out, and the sound on the album was oriented more towards YMAEWK'S female fanbase than previous releases. Though I still really liked the album, this perceived lack of what initially made me love YMAEWK disappointed me immensely and made it fall short of the first EP. Comparing a song like Dirty Laundry to, say, I'm Losing Weight for You or A Bigger Point of Pride, I personally get the impression that the music really lost some "balls" in terms of lyrics and overall sound.

The perfect analogy for this would be the progression of the Bemis and Say Anything; IARB obviously had kickass lyrics - possibly the best lyrics of any album in the genre. There was distinct, unabashed masculinity, and perhaps even misogyny, to the lyrics that I had never heard in the genre before. I never had to feel embarrassed for listening to the album in a car full of sausages. Even the most sentimental songs, like Alive with the Glory of Love for example, had a tone of badassery that kept the Bemis from entering toolbox territory. This tone was missing in 99% of pop/emo music at the time (and is still missing), and I think that (among other things, of course) it was what gave IARB a massive appeal to males that other emo albums never could muster, and it allowed SA to move beyond genre limitations to reach widespread acclaim among all audiences. Then, after IARB, there was a gradual but clear transformation as Bem-Dawg became more popular and self-assured (I assume that's the reason) and then we started getting songs like Shiksa (still one of my favorite SA songs regardless of the shitty chorus lyrics) and mother-fucking Crush'd. Now I love the self-titled, and i even think Crush'd is a quality song, but, starting with the self-titled, I really had to start making excuses with myself to like these songs and search for reasons to approve of the lyrics. SA started becoming as much of a guilty pleasure as bands like Cute Is What We Aim For or Mayday Parade. SA, I think, lost the universal appeal that was present in IARB and became more of a typical emo band.

Of course YMAEWK hasn't even approached the point that Bemis has reached, but the principle is the same, and it's what I was trying to allude to in my admittedly hyperbolic statement above. All of this might make me sound a bit misogynistic - certainly politically incorrect at least - and the uber-liberals on AP might pounce on me, but actually, I think that political incorrectness might have been exactly what appealed to me - YMAEWK wasn't afraid to write about wanting to fuck sluts or dicks out and pissing. It seems like now they might be afraid to offend (or just creep out) their female listeners.


I'm afraid you may have misinterpreted parts of those songs. The songs and lyrics you mentioned were admissions of guilt and very confessory in nature, not a celebration or pronouncement. I think the use of language has become better over the years, making it possible to save vulgarity for when it really needs to drive a point home. "more deserving of men left to rot in a rag" may be one of the grossest lines written in the band's discography but I think it's done in a smart way.

I was much more depressed, drunk, and angry about alot of things I didn't understand back then. You've obviously paid attention to the lyrical content and I think theres a clear path going from being entirely engulfed in a life of drinking, sleeping around, and depression in the 1st ep to there being a hint of inner reflection and questioning the way I was living on the 2nd, to me being clearly unhappy with myself and wanting to change myself but struggling with sticking to it and figuring out just how to do so. The 3rd was an unfortunate step backwards as my drinking and depression got alot worse in the winter of 2010-2011. We all know how that turned out.

I don't fault you for anything you've said. I don't consider myself a very bashful writer even now. I just moved on from that kind lifestyle. People grow, hopefully for the better. Thanks for listening man, I appreciate you putting so much thought into the response.

LastDeclaration 11/28/12 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brussel sprouts (Post 115856892)
I'm afraid you may have misinterpreted parts of those songs. The songs and lyrics you mentioned were admissions of guilt and very confessory in nature, not a celebration or pronouncement. I think the use of language has become better over the years, making it possible to save vulgarity for when it really needs to drive a point home. "more deserving of men left to rot in a rag" may be one of the grossest lines written in the band's discography but I think it's done in a smart way.

I was much more depressed, drunk, and angry about alot of things I didn't understand back then. You've obviously paid attention to the lyrical content and I think theres a clear path going from being entirely engulfed in a life of drinking, sleeping around, and depression in the 1st ep to there being a hint of inner reflection and questioning the way I was living on the 2nd, to me being clearly unhappy with myself and wanting to change myself but struggling with sticking to it and figuring out just how to do so. The 3rd was an unfortunate step backwards as my drinking and depression got alot worse in the winter of 2010-2011. We all know how that turned out.

I don't fault you for anything you've said. I don't consider myself a very bashful writer even now. I just moved on from that kind lifestyle. People grow, hopefully for the better. Thanks for listening man, I appreciate you putting so much thought into the response.

Thanks so much for the response. It's great to hear your perspective. I forget (as many of us do) that there's an actual person behind a song's lyrics and music, and the song is a reflection of their actual lives and emotions; we often start talking about bands as if they're soulless machines meant to produce music according to our specifications. That sort of mindset, along with anonymity, leads to thoughtless comments like my initial one.

What I wrote definitely did make it sound like I was endorsing negative things like the exploitation of women or abuse of drugs or what have you, and that wasn't really what I meant (or maybe it was what I meant, and I would now like to retract those comments). What I was trying to say was that you were one of the few artists that sang about these sorts of things that many, many guys can relate to but most bands are afraid (?) to write about. You certainly weren't celebratory about a lot of it, and that was exactly what made it relatable; I and many others have used girls for sex, dealt with bouts of addiction, etc. and these things force us to have moral arguments with ourselves: We know such and such is wrong and usually makes us feel like shit, but we still continue to do it. This sort of dichotomy is even evident with me right here - above I was glorifying all these negative things, essentially, and saying that lyrics about such things are the only way to be acceptable to a male audience, while here I'm taking a much different perspective. Ultimately, what I mean to convey is that the first EP was really unique in addressing certain debauchery and moral quandaries commonly experienced by late-teen/early-20s males that are rarely mentioned in songs - especially in an emo genre that's so saturated with sappy garbage. So I guess I just wanted more of that subject matter since it really struck home (in a way very similar to IARB, I might add). At first I blamed the perceived lack of it on selling out, I guess, but I can see that that obviously wasn't the case. People change and the lyrics they write change; I had forgotten that. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts here! It's always great to see an artist cares enough to talk and discuss with fans (or critics). I'll go buy your EP in a moment as repayment!