AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Andrew W.K. Releases Statement on Canceled Bahrain Trip (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2965412)

Drew Beringer 11/27/12 01:53 PM

Andrew W.K. Releases Statement on Canceled Bahrain Trip

Andrew W.K. has released a statement regarding the cancellation of his "party trip" to Bahrain. You can read it in the replies.

Drew Beringer 11/27/12 01:53 PM

Andrew W.K. Releases Statement“I’m disappointed and puzzled by their change of heart and last minute decision. I was personally invited to take this trip by The U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Embassy in Bahrain over a year ago. They came to me. The first email they sent me is dated September 13th, 2011 asking me to give a motivational lecture in Bahrain. I was overjoyed and accepted their invitation immediately. We moved forward and completed their extensive approval process, background check, booked all the flights and travel, and had numerous phone calls with the U.S. Embassy Public Affairs Office in Manama, Bahrain, who were handling the details. I was scheduled to fly to Bahrain on Saturday, Dec. 1st, 2012. We received our official itinerary from the State Dept. at 5:58am, on Monday, November 26th, 2012. Less than six hours later, we received an urgent telephone call informing us that the entire trip had been canceled, due to some higher level controversy. We couldn’t get any more information or answers as to why this was suddenly canceled at the last minute. When I was originally invited by our contact, it seemed everyone was aware of what I stand for with my positive attitude. They were aware of how I look and my high-energy rock music. They were excited to bring my message of living life to the fullest to the people in the Middle East. I was thrilled at the opportunity to represent my country and the spirit of inclusive and open-minded freedom that makes our nation so special and inspiring. So, for a Department of State representative to say Andrew W.K. ‘doesn’t meet their standards’ after they invited me and planned my trip for a year… well, that doesn’t meet my standards either. You can’t judge a book by its cover. I would’ve done a great job and represented our nation with dignity and pride. Despite all these challenges, I still would love to go and I vow to continue partying, and working everyday to to unite our human race through the power of positive partying.”

Gunstarheroes 11/27/12 02:01 PM

Man, what a bummer. He really is the nicest guy i've ever met.

Jay Evan 11/27/12 02:02 PM

Steev Mike will still be going

lordchamberlain 11/27/12 02:06 PM

Andrew W.K. Releases StatementSo, for a Department of State representative to say Andrew W.K. ‘doesn’t meet their standards’ after they invited me and planned my trip for a year… well, that doesn’t meet my standards either.

love this.

VeryWittyName 11/27/12 02:10 PM

I love Andrew WK. His Twitter feed is one of the single greatest works of art ever written. Never has one man been so dedicated to partying and good times. He would've been a good ambassador.

raptorz44 11/27/12 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Evan (Post 115812662)
Steev Mike will still be going

Zing

Alex DiVincenzo 11/27/12 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeryWittyName (Post 115812962)
I love Andrew WK. His Twitter feed is one of the single greatest works of art ever written. Never has one man been so dedicated to partying and good times. He would've been a good ambassador.

Agreed. All of this.

Kdenisarealboy 11/27/12 02:29 PM

untilitkills83 11/27/12 02:29 PM

Surprising...I'm more apt to believe someone who is deemed 'sub par' from our nation than our nation itself.

Keep the PMA Mr. Andrew WK.

Xiegfried 11/27/12 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeryWittyName (Post 115812962)

And Taco Bell. Don't forget Taco Bell.

imchriswalken 11/27/12 02:50 PM

They have Chili's and Burger King in Bahrain. It's like the Las Vegas of the Middle East. No reason he shouldn't have gone, except that he should've done it exactly four years ago.

Born_For_This 11/27/12 02:53 PM

I love this man.

plns 11/27/12 03:12 PM

Am I the only one that thinks this would have been a really bad idea?

Robb 11/27/12 03:23 PM

This is America's defining moment.

It had the chance for glory, and to become the pinnacle of world government. Unfortunately, they failed.

theintention 11/27/12 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plns (Post 115815172)

Nope. I also agree.

mike81488 11/27/12 03:33 PM

Quote:

Yep.

mike81488 11/27/12 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theintention (Post 115815552)
Nope. I also agree.

I stand corrected.

Freshman15Davey 11/27/12 03:53 PM

Did we ever figure out if there was any truth to the doppelgänger story that arose a few years back? Are we seeing the same guy from "I Get Wet?"

Ollie McKraut 11/27/12 04:12 PM

this development cleverly withheld from the press until after the election lol

StepsInADance 11/27/12 04:24 PM

Quote:

I love Andrew WK but I agree with you.

Chuck! 11/27/12 04:39 PM

Quote:

No, it's a ridiculous idea.

Whenever I hear about this guy I remember Keith Buckley's testimony that he never actually partied on Warped Tour, which is basically a party haven every night

NewAgeofHorus 11/27/12 05:52 PM

Andrew W.K. >>>>>>>>>>>> American government

Spencer Control 11/27/12 06:32 PM

I am incredibly disappointed in the decision that was made here. Andrew W.K. seems like a really positive, nice dude, and besides, it would have been effin' awesome. Definitely respect how maturely he's handling it, too.

a nice person 11/27/12 06:32 PM

Love him every time he's on red eye

PerfectChaos337 11/27/12 07:33 PM

My initial thought about all of this was that AWK made it all up out of nowhere and wanted to see how much press it could get before the government actually shot it down. If it was real, it was an incredibly strange circumstance all around. Would've been interesting to see AWK go over there and do what he does, but it's probably for the best if they cancelled on him.

plns 11/27/12 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck! (Post 115818182)
No, it's a ridiculous idea.

Whenever I hear about this guy I remember Keith Buckley's testimony that he never actually partied on Warped Tour, which is basically a party haven every night

I was on Warped the year he was on it. Yeah, it was fucking weird that he didn't party at all. He hung out and was really outgoing and talkative but he wasn't slamming shots and doing crazy shit like I expected.

live. 11/27/12 10:03 PM

AWK 2016!

lordchamberlain 11/27/12 11:12 PM

i'm not surprised he didn't slam shots at warped tour. the dude wrote a song about not going to bed, for crying out loud. his idea of a party is just fucking having a great time no matter who you are or what the circumstance. he is energetic and charismatic and wild and he flails around and sings (shouts) into a microphone, and that's how he parties.

as for sending him to bahrain, no shit it would be a bad idea. but it couldn't be much worse than all the stupid shit we've already done in the middle east. and at least it would be an attempt at something positive.

Jake Denning 11/28/12 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freshman15Davey (Post 115816772)
Did we ever figure out if there was any truth to the doppelgänger story that arose a few years back? Are we seeing the same guy from "I Get Wet?"

From an interview I did with him in March 2012:

Almost exactly two years ago you held a public event called "Ask Andrew W.K. anything", and you mentioned that you're the same Andrew W.K. that has been here since the beginning -- is it frustrating to have people consistently not take you at your word?

No, I mean, I understand the confusion about that. I made some really poor choices on how to handle those questions, especially that event; I don't blame anyone else, but I followed the advice of some folks that I trust, it just happened not be the right way or the words to put out there...after that I tried to fix that with some other poor methods. I just try to ignore all of that, and I encourage everyone to forget that ever happened. I'm willing to answer any questions the best I can; there's a few restrictions, but I don't see why people shouldn't be allowed to ask questions.

Jake Denning 11/28/12 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plns (Post 115824392)
I was on Warped the year he was on it. Yeah, it was fucking weird that he didn't party at all. He hung out and was really outgoing and talkative but he wasn't slamming shots and doing crazy shit like I expected.

That's funny, because I remember seeing him shotgun two beers before going on stage in Portland.

TreesAboveSean 11/28/12 09:57 AM

We should send Henry Rollins over there for some motivational speeches.

Freshman15Davey 11/28/12 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Denning (Post 115830642)
From an interview I did with him in March 2012:

Almost exactly two years ago you held a public event called "Ask Andrew W.K. anything", and you mentioned that you're the same Andrew W.K. that has been here since the beginning -- is it frustrating to have people consistently not take you at your word?

No, I mean, I understand the confusion about that. I made some really poor choices on how to handle those questions, especially that event; I don't blame anyone else, but I followed the advice of some folks that I trust, it just happened not be the right way or the words to put out there...after that I tried to fix that with some other poor methods. I just try to ignore all of that, and I encourage everyone to forget that ever happened. I'm willing to answer any questions the best I can; there's a few restrictions, but I don't see why people shouldn't be allowed to ask questions.

Nice! Thanks. That has been bugging me and I couldn't seem to find a definitive answer online anywhere!