AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  iTunes 11 Hits App Store (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2967792)

Jason Tate 11/29/12 11:29 AM

iTunes 11 Hits App Store
 
The new (and major update) iTunes 11 has been released today.

Jason Tate 11/29/12 11:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Updates ...

combatchuckaa 11/29/12 11:33 AM

Just tried to update and it wouldn't let me...stoked to see the new design though!

Zack Zarrillo 11/29/12 11:34 AM

Liking it so far. I think the only thing I dislike is not being able to see Music/Podcasts at once because I'll forget I have new Podcasts to listen to.

This is the way to go pre-streaming service in 2013 though. Continue to blend into Rdio's design

Jason Tate 11/29/12 11:34 AM

Kinda looks like Rdio (which is a good thing).

Jason Tate 11/29/12 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zack-182 (Post 115886342)
Liking it so far. I think the only thing I dislike is not being able to see Music/Podcasts at once because I'll forget I have new Podcasts to listen to.

This is the way to go pre-streaming service in 2013 though. Continue to blend into Rdio's design

Dear Apple: Please buy Rdio.

Zack Zarrillo 11/29/12 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate (Post 115886402)
Dear Apple: Please buy Rdio.

Right? The designs seem to be meshing together, Rdio is only losing traction (it feels like, at least) to Spotify even though they're greatly improving, and 100B in da bank.

Please.

Jason Tate 11/29/12 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zack-182 (Post 115886592)
Right? The designs seem to be meshing together, Rdio is only losing traction (it feels like, at least) to Spotify even though they're greatly improving, and 100B in da bank.

Please.

There was a rumor for a while Microsoft was gonna make a play for Rdio. I think Apple's belief is they can do what Rdio is doing themselves -- and with the iCloud streaming and everything now -- we might be getting close to that kind fo thing from iTunes.

I'm now using Rdio for about 99% of my music listening on a daily basis. I only use iTunes to keep track of podcasts, play pre-release albums, and as a media server for TV/Movies on my Apple TV. Besides that, it just kinda sits open most days. The Rdio catalog is just too perfect to add a bunch of shit to my queue - hit play - and forget about it.

Zack Zarrillo 11/29/12 11:47 AM

Per my complain: You can go to show > turn on sidebar. phew

ConnorCorruptNJ 11/29/12 11:47 AM

once I have power I'll check it out:

zachff 11/29/12 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate (Post 115886722)
There was a rumor for a while Microsoft was gonna make a play for Rdio. I think Apple's belief is they can do what Rdio is doing themselves -- and with the iCloud streaming and everything now -- we might be getting close to that kind fo thing from iTunes.

I'm now using Rdio for about 99% of my music listening on a daily basis. I only use iTunes to keep track of podcasts, play pre-release albums, and as a media server for TV/Movies on my Apple TV. Besides that, it just kinda sits open most days. The Rdio catalog is just too perfect to add a bunch of shit to my queue - hit play - and forget about it.

What about when you're not at home?

Maybe I don't do as much music exploration as you do (well I'm sure I don't since my paying job is entirely non music related) but for me I can't fathom having to rely on a cellular connection in order to stream a song. Even with LTE now on the iP5 one day I'll be sitting at work and have full bars and the next I'll have no signal.

I think if we got to a point where our cellular networks were as strong as say, Japan's, I could see only using Rdio or Spotify for myself. As of now though the idea of relying on ATT in the subway sounds terrible.

EastCoastVans 11/29/12 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate (Post 115886722)
There was a rumor for a while Microsoft was gonna make a play for Rdio. I think Apple's belief is they can do what Rdio is doing themselves -- and with the iCloud streaming and everything now -- we might be getting close to that kind fo thing from iTunes.

I'm now using Rdio for about 99% of my music listening on a daily basis. I only use iTunes to keep track of podcasts, play pre-release albums, and as a media server for TV/Movies on my Apple TV. Besides that, it just kinda sits open most days. The Rdio catalog is just too perfect to add a bunch of shit to my queue - hit play - and forget about it.

So you would definitely recommend Rdio over Spotify? I've been considering subscribing to one and I can't make up mind.

irthesteve 11/29/12 11:52 AM

hmmmmmm guess i gotta upgrade

circletheworld 11/29/12 11:54 AM

wow.. searching songs via the albums tab is beautiful... they way it picks the background/text color is awesome.

Jason Tate 11/29/12 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastVans (Post 115887072)
So you would definitely recommend Rdio over Spotify? I've been considering subscribing to one and I can't make up mind.

I, personally, greatly prefer Rdio.

Jason Tate 11/29/12 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zachff (Post 115886932)
What about when you're not at home?

Maybe I don't do as much music exploration as you do (well I'm sure I don't since my paying job is entirely non music related) but for me I can't fathom having to rely on a cellular connection in order to stream a song. Even with LTE now on the iP5 one day I'll be sitting at work and have full bars and the next I'll have no signal.

I think if we got to a point where our cellular networks were as strong as say, Japan's, I could see only using Rdio or Spotify for myself. As of now though the idea of relying on ATT in the subway sounds terrible.

The Rdio iPhone app lets you sync albums to your mobile device for offline listening, if you don't want to stream over it. So, I always have a good portion synched up on there.

fuldanips 11/29/12 12:00 PM

I'm running Snow Leopard still and when I tried to check for updates via iTunes, it said I was running the current version (10.7). However, when I tried clicking the Apple icon on the top left and check for software updates for my entire Mac, it showed up. Hope this helps anyone looking for it.

ZachMadeMeOdd 11/29/12 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate (Post 115887382)
The Rdio iPhone app lets you sync albums to your mobile device for offline listening, if you don't want to stream over it. So, I always have a good portion synched up on there.


Not a fan of iTunes Match? I hear it works pretty well I just haven't coughed up the 25 bucks yet

incognitojones 11/29/12 12:02 PM

It hasn't been letting me update in the past few days, just gets stuck on a purple screen after the restart and the internet has not been giving me any solutions. Which sucks, cause I now I really want to update it, I'm still on iTunes like 5.

ZachMadeMeOdd 11/29/12 12:02 PM

I'm sadly stuck at work for a couple hours. If anyone is kind enough to take a screenshot of your main iTunes page and post it, I won't give you actual money but my appreciation will be unprecedented.

Zack Zarrillo 11/29/12 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate (Post 115886722)
There was a rumor for a while Microsoft was gonna make a play for Rdio. I think Apple's belief is they can do what Rdio is doing themselves -- and with the iCloud streaming and everything now -- we might be getting close to that kind fo thing from iTunes.

I'm now using Rdio for about 99% of my music listening on a daily basis. I only use iTunes to keep track of podcasts, play pre-release albums, and as a media server for TV/Movies on my Apple TV. Besides that, it just kinda sits open most days. The Rdio catalog is just too perfect to add a bunch of shit to my queue - hit play - and forget about it.

There's no doubt in my mind that Apple thinks they can do it better than Rdio, and I don't necessarily doubt it either. They'd probably rather champion that they did it themselves and kill Rdio, Spotify, and Pandora in the process of doing it.

I just really like Rdio's new updates.

joebucci 11/29/12 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate (Post 115887382)
The Rdio iPhone app lets you sync albums to your mobile device for offline listening, if you don't want to stream over it. So, I always have a good portion synched up on there.


I do this with Spotify as well.

In case anyone is wondering if this is possible.

billyboatkid 11/29/12 12:08 PM

Stoked to download this when I get home. Hope it doesn't destroy my old MacBook.

bobsheiskawy 11/29/12 12:08 PM

question for those who've already downloaded the update: is it still possible to view everything in the traditional list format? the lack of that option (from all of the pictures i've seen so far) is the only thing making me nervous about downloading this immediately.

Jason Tate 11/29/12 12:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsheiskawy (Post 115887732)
question for those who've already downloaded the update: is it still possible to view everything in the traditional list format? the lack of that option (from all of the pictures i've seen so far) is the only thing making me nervous about downloading this immediately.

If you view by songs -- yeah ... no real reason to do it though. The album / artist format is far better.

Edit: Uploaded the wrong attachement the first time. Was supposed to be the song layout. O well.

3GunGaz 11/29/12 12:12 PM

Really liking 11... Worth the wait!! So relieved it was available for Snow Leopard too!

The only thing I'm not keen on so far is I can't seem to make the artwork bigger in album view. In the old grid view you could make artwork bigger and smaller with the slider. Maybe I'm missing something.

Really like the previews. The whole thing looks great and has simple functionality. FINALLY up next... No more longing for Winamp

Edit - Having thought about it, making the artwork bigger might not look good with the previews

Chris Collum 11/29/12 12:12 PM

Goddamn this is beautiful:


Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsheiskawy (Post 115887732)
question for those who've already downloaded the update: is it still possible to view everything in the traditional list format? the lack of that option (from all of the pictures i've seen so far) is the only thing making me nervous about downloading this immediately.

Yes there's still an option for that. Click on "Songs" at the top when you get it.

Jason Tate 11/29/12 12:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsheiskawy (Post 115887732)
question for those who've already downloaded the update: is it still possible to view everything in the traditional list format? the lack of that option (from all of the pictures i've seen so far) is the only thing making me nervous about downloading this immediately.

Trying again.

Jason Tate 11/29/12 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zack-182 (Post 115887592)
There's no doubt in my mind that Apple thinks they can do it better than Rdio, and I don't necessarily doubt it either. They'd probably rather champion that they did it themselves and kill Rdio, Spotify, and Pandora in the process of doing it.

I just really like Rdio's new updates.

Me too. But I also believe there's a place for both. Heh, at the moment I have no problem with my current workflow.

Rdio for most music listening at home on any computer, or AirPlay to other speakers. iTunes as a media server for any TV or Movies I download. NOW if I could store all those in iCloud and save space on my computer ... that would be pretty cool. iTunes Match my West Wing collection. Save 500 GB. Haha.

SSLYBY 11/29/12 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZachMadeMeOdd (Post 115887432)
Not a fan of iTunes Match? I hear it works pretty well I just haven't coughed up the 25 bucks yet

Itunes match sucks. So buggy.

3GunGaz 11/29/12 12:20 PM

I just want to reiterate this point...

UP NEXT is so good. I always questioned why iTunes never included it... It's so simple but so effective. I always loved that about Winamp.

davefalcone777 11/29/12 12:20 PM

I checked for an update and it told me "This version 10.7 is the latest update."

nickthehick2 11/29/12 12:20 PM

I can't stand iTunes

3GunGaz 11/29/12 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davefalcone777 (Post 115888182)
I checked for an update and it told me "This version 10.7 is the latest update."

Go to apple.com/itunes and download it - mine did the same

3GunGaz 11/29/12 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickthehick2 (Post 115888202)
I can't stand iTunes

Compelling! Thanks for stopping by.

saywhatever 11/29/12 12:22 PM

It looks amazing.

Zack Zarrillo 11/29/12 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate (Post 115888022)
Me too. But I also believe there's a place for both. Heh, at the moment I have no problem with my current workflow.

Rdio for most music listening at home on any computer, or AirPlay to other speakers. iTunes as a media server for any TV or Movies I download. NOW if I could store all those in iCloud and save space on my computer ... that would be pretty cool. iTunes Match my West Wing collection. Save 500 GB. Haha.

Sidenote. I wish there was an iCloud.app on all Apple devices

MrDelux 11/29/12 12:25 PM

I LIKE IT A LOT...

But the miniplayer doesnt show the track name like it did in the demo

whiterussian 11/29/12 12:25 PM

Dammit, how do I get the artist / album / song thing back?

Edit: good to see they finally added the Play Next function. Only suggestion I ever gave.

fuldanips 11/29/12 12:27 PM

It really is beautiful. It syncs up your album artwork to make a color scheme that matches the album art, like this:

Drew Beringer 11/29/12 12:30 PM

downloading now, so excited!

bobsheiskawy 11/29/12 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate (Post 115887932)
Trying again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris92 (Post 115887902)
Yes there's still an option for that. Click on "Songs" at the top when you get it.

awesome, thanks. now i will download haha.

Jason Tate 11/29/12 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3GunGaz (Post 115888172)
I just want to reiterate this point...

UP NEXT is so good. I always questioned why iTunes never included it... It's so simple but so effective. I always loved that about Winamp.

Yep, after I started using it on Rdio, I was unable to go back to iTunes. It's great. I think of things I wanna listen to and add them to the queue. Or just load up a bunch of stuff for the day.

Gaugzilla 11/29/12 12:36 PM

It would be nice if iTunes accepted AVI files. Come on, folks.

Jason Tate 11/29/12 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zack-182 (Post 115888322)
Sidenote. I wish there was an iCloud.app on all Apple devices

What would the iCloud app do?

Drew Beringer 11/29/12 12:37 PM

yes I love it


Jason Tate 11/29/12 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaugzilla (Post 115888902)
It would be nice if iTunes accepted AVI files. Come on, folks.

Most everything is M4V it seems these days (and I've found it's a more consistent quality), or you can convert it with Handbrake if you happen upon something like that.

Zack Zarrillo 11/29/12 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Tate (Post 115888952)
What would the iCloud app do?

I don't know. Just being able to manage music, documents, photos, videos, etc, etc would be much easier in my mind that way - at least in iOS. I see that complaint a lot for the iPhone

Chris Collum 11/29/12 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Beringer (Post 115889012)
yes I love it


#siqbrag #showoff

The Gryphonator 11/29/12 12:41 PM

Wow! The new icloud features seem to be really cool. Over the past coupe of years all of my favorite tv shows have gotten spread out of over different computers, harddrives, etc. Basically, all the tv shows I purchased were just EVERYWHERE.

Now, they are all back. Not downloaded, but itunes lets me play anything, ANYTHING i've ever bought. So cool!