City of Ashes - 12.05.12
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:
City of Ashes
1. How did you get your band name?
It was something that Orion wrote about his thoughts on London as he moved out of the city. The band was formed shortly after that and it seemed appropriate given the timing.
2. How did this band get started?
When Orion moved from London to Sussex he was keen to get something started musically. He began to play acoustic shows with a friend and the shows quickly became popular. The other boys came along to a few shows and talks began about how to take it electric.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
A huge amount! It's different for different members but everything from Millencolin to La Dispute and Rise Against to Tracey Chapman. It's really all over the place, we just write what we like.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
There are so many bands we'd love to tour with! Off the tops of our heads, it'd be cool to hit the road with our friends in Hildamay and Hey Vanity sometime soon. Other than that Rise Against, Funeral for a Friend, Taking Back Sunday, Glassjaw, Polar, Young Guns... The list goes on and on.
5. Best food to eat on tour?
We try to be good and eat fruit and such but far too often the crisps win out because they're easy. Haha. Dan knocks together a mean spaghetti too when someone gives us a place to stay that we can cook at.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
We write pretty honest music. If you like that you might well be into us. Plus, we're all really nice guys so we're likely to love you to death for learning a song and coming to sing at a show.
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Michael Johnson. That dude has some funky ass shoes! Or Eddie the Eagle, he was pretty funny.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
People who'd been behind us and our record, I guess. Isn't that what any band would do?
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I'd like to see it become a little less segregated. Audiences can be pretty intense about what they like and don't like. I think it'd be cool for people to be able to enjoy more types of music without being ridiculed for it. Our drummer (Dan) for instance is a total punk kid - it's how he grew up, but he also likes his classical music.
10. Memorable tour experience?
Too many and most of them unclean! Haha. We've just say we've quite literally had some "potty-mouthed" girls about.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It's a great forum to allow bands to connect with their audiences. Sites like this are so important to the music industry and to fans! Kudos, guys.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
It changes night by night but right now we're really enjoying Hourglass which is on our new EP due out in January.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Somewhere nice and warm and a million miles away from the small town we live in.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
To be honest probably the cartoon theme songs from the time! You can't hear Thundercats or Ninja Turtles and not be transported back to being a kid!
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
We canít tell you that because our secret identities need to stay intact.
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Not really, we all try to check in make sure everyoneís feeling okay and there arenít any problems with equipment etc. Orion will probably due a few vocal warm ups too. Other than that we rehearse pretty hard every week so we tend to trust itís all stuck in our heads.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Weíre secretly One Direction. Haha. I guess I should mention that Orion and James are brothers, a lot of people are still surprised by that.
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
It depends on the song really. The new single from our record might do very well that way but some of the more experimental stuff might be shunned as being too niche for radio play. As far as the current state of radio, itís a little superficial maybe. I donít want to shit on it because there are people some people doing some great work but a lot of the air time is kind of filled with chatter that, once it finishes, Iím left wondering ďwhat the hell was the point of that?Ē
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
We try to chill out! Weíre so busy so often that itís pretty important for us all to try and relax when we can so that when we come together weíre not too tightly wound up.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I already mentioned Danís culinary skills. Other than that it might be worth knowing that Orionís background is in acting, as oppose to music.