AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  ABSOLUTExclusive: The Company We Keep Vocalist Announcement, Song Clip (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2977852)

Jack Appleby 12/09/12 11:31 PM

ABSOLUTExclusive: The Company We Keep Vocalist Announcement, Song Clip

After parting ways with their original vocalist, The Company We Keep (members of Motion City Soundtrack, The Receiving End Of Sirens, Misery Signals) went right back to work, auditioning new singers and tracking new songs. The result: Alabama-native Haden Brightwell, a 21-year-old sure to make an impact right away. Hit the replies to read about the band's upcoming plans and hear a clip of "Rabbit Without A Hat," a song from the band's forthcoming LP.

Jack Appleby 12/09/12 11:31 PM

Rabbit Without A Hat (demo clip)

InterviewAfter only one EP and a few tours, you parted ways with your original vocalist - what was your process moving forward?

Brian: Obviously with Amy leaving we had a hole to fill. We decided to release a statement inviting people to send email auditions so we could survey a broader range of people outside of our immediate group of friends/musicians. Over the course of 3-4 months we had many talented people send us videos and/or mp3s, and then we followed up with having a select few record a version of one of our previously recorded songs. In the meantime, we continued to write and demo new songs so we wouldnt be sitting idle.

How did Haden first appear on the band's radar?

Haden was one of the first people to reach out to us. She sent some videos of her former band, and we were instantly blown away. We quickly had her record her own version of one of our songs to see how her voice would mix with our band, and it didnt take long for us all to agree she had to be the singer of this band. We spent a few months sending music back and forth and working on ideas long distance, while planning a trip to MI for her, so we could record music in person. We had all pretty much decided that we wanted Haden in this band before she even arrived, and then were even more blown away by her by the time we finished these new demos.

Is this a continuation of the Making Moves sound or a reinvention of sorts?

To me, its a continuation, but anyone not in this band will most likely disagree. Most of the songs we will include on an LP will be songs that were already in the works when we recorded the Making Moves 7", but made the decision to save these songs for an LP. I'm proud of the songs on the 7", but i fear they gave the wrong impression of what this band truly is. I cant wait to get moving on the tracking of an LP so we can show everyone the music we've been working on for the past 3 years.

Haden, give us your backstory - how'd you end up with these knuckleheads?

Haden: Well, long story short... I was in a band for almost four years, made an album, toured, etc. All of that came to an end about a year and a half ago, and since, I haven't done much musically. I was at work a few months back and was scrolling through Twitter and saw an AP post about TCWK losing their singer and looking for a replacement. I immediately looked up the band to get a feel for the sound. After hearing 2 songs I sent an email to them consisting of a few live videos and tracks from my former band. Within 30 minutes of sending the email Brian responded. So like he said before, from there we stayed in contact, i learned a few songs, and then I went to Michigan to make it all happen. I couldn't be happier with the outcome of it all!!

What are the band's upcoming plans?

Brian: Our immediate goal is to record an album. We're hoping to find an interested label and/or producer and get to work. TCWK has been writing songs for over 3 years, and we want to get them out into the world. Depending on when and where we make a record, we may do a short tour as a result, but our immediate plan is to record music as soon as possible.

Anything you'd like to add?

While typing the answers to these questions, I forgot i put a kettle on the stove. All the water has since evaporated, and my kitchen is full of smoke and the smell of a burning kettle. THANKS A LOT JACK.

abusedcat 12/09/12 11:38 PM

Didn't this girl used to bang Andy Jackson?

seymourbuttes 12/09/12 11:55 PM

Woah... Hot.

Keagan Ilvonen 12/10/12 12:47 AM

I think I'm in love.

CastlesXClouds 12/10/12 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Meech (Post 116328722)
That's one of the weirdest supergroups I've heard of. All completely different bands, consider me interested.

word

irthesteve 12/10/12 01:13 AM

"I'm an aspiring model/singer from Alabama"

google images delivers

gregplaysdrums 12/10/12 01:36 AM

Beautiful and talented. And that's just Brian Southall.

Can't wait to hear more.

irthesteve 12/10/12 01:36 AM

she sounds halfway between Hayley Williams and the VersaEmerge chick

EDIT: Definitely has a Tonight Alive voice

Jack Appleby 12/10/12 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregplaysdrums (Post 116329722)

Can't wait to hear more.

This is why you're my favorite.

SpyKi 12/10/12 03:37 AM

I think I prefer her to the last girl and this clip to anything on the Making Moves thing. I'm exited to get an album anyway.

Samprattsap 12/10/12 04:32 AM

Holy hot.

Alex DiVincenzo 12/10/12 05:46 AM

Sounds good. Interested in hearing more.

PetitnaindesĪles 12/10/12 05:50 AM

she's even hotter than the previous singer and the clip sounds promising. it's a win

SuNDaYSTaR 12/10/12 05:59 AM

Sounds great.

Jacob Tender 12/10/12 06:42 AM

Very attractive: her voice and looks. Brian knows how to pick them.

Ryan Gardner 12/10/12 07:04 AM

Quote:

Can't wait to hear more.

I laughed out loud.

She's an awesome vocalist. Evolett showed great promise when she fronted them, so I can't wait to hear what she'll do here.

logandallimore 12/10/12 07:23 AM

Micah511 12/10/12 07:34 AM

I remember watching them open up for mayday parade in Montgomery in 2009. This is crazy.

TerrancePryor 12/10/12 07:54 AM

...But can she do 500 pushups in 5 minutes?

anamericangod 12/10/12 08:10 AM

Sounds like Claudio Sanchez on that demo.

mattplayscheap 12/10/12 08:21 AM

Good choice! She was in another band that was awesome. She was all engaged to Andy from Hot Rod Cicuit

PetitnaindesĪles 12/10/12 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattplayscheap (Post 116335862)
Good choice! She was in another band that was awesome. She was all engaged to Andy from Hot Rod Cicuit

yeah he also produced her old band's full lenght

LetterBomb31 12/10/12 09:17 AM

I'm friends with her on Facebook

irthesteve 12/10/12 09:19 AM

previous band

irthesteve 12/10/12 09:43 AM

first one sounds alot like that Tonight Alive song, Breaking and Entering

RussVanderhoof 12/10/12 12:05 PM

Quote:

Can't wait to hear more.

This is just the best.~

Dirge07 12/10/12 03:05 PM

Quote:

Can't wait to hear more.

Ha!
Interest --> Peaked

Symphonicaxiom 12/10/12 03:12 PM

Yea, this actually sounds fantastic. Can't wait to hear more.

BlackMage 12/10/12 03:22 PM

That is one ugly band logo. Demo sounds promising for sure.

Mattylikesfilms 12/10/12 04:04 PM

I dont know what the old singer sounded like (cause honestly, does it matter whos a hotter babe when it comes to music?) but this sounds promising. I love Southball.

dohare 12/10/12 04:30 PM

this clip reminds me of TREOS, and if i remember, their other songs were nothing like this? am i right?

stoked on this.

swboyd 12/10/12 05:10 PM

This clip just makes me want new Misery Signals even more.

Jack Appleby 12/10/12 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dohare (Post 116367302)
this clip reminds me of TREOS, and if i remember, their other songs were nothing like this? am i right?

stoked on this.

New songs aren't in the same vein as the old - much less poppy. You'll like.

Xiegfried 12/10/12 06:11 PM

Sounds great! Can't wait for this LP.

PerfectChaos337 12/10/12 06:43 PM

I saw them on one of the Armor For Sleep farewell shows, and thought they were great live, but the recordings did nothing for me. Hoping for some cool new jams that grab my attention a little more.

xsinkshipsx 12/10/12 08:19 PM

woah.

gregplaysdrums 12/11/12 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Appleby (Post 116330142)
This is why you're my favorite.

<3

PetitnaindesĪles 12/11/12 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Appleby (Post 116370572)
New songs aren't in the same vein as the old - much less poppy. You'll like.

hmm interesting, i guess it'll sound closer to their At The Drive In cover then ?

ckimball 02/10/13 07:44 PM

To answer the burning question on some of your minds, Yes, she's the girl that used to "bang" that geriatric Andy Jackson. I remember going to Reaction Media shows at Off The Wagon in Montgomery and seeing Haden in her band ,Evolett, when they were just starting out. I knew right when I saw her she was going to go further in her career. She's got talent and determination, and just that "look". I've always admired her. She certainly has gone through some changes. I can remember when she looked like your every-day-girl-on-the-street, and now she has this edgy look and of course her flattering new "body art". But of course there's more than just looks, but you have to admit she's got 'em! She is going to go far and there are great things in her future. Hopefully some day soon she'll no longer be remembered as/referred to as the girl that banged Andy Jackson, but people will see her for the talented young woman she has become and is still becoming. Thanks for representing Alabama, Haden! I know you'll make us all proud. Just be yourself.