AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  ABSOLUTExclusive: Patent Pending Covers Blink 182's "Enema of the State" (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2982402)

Alex DiVincenzo 12/13/12 06:13 AM

ABSOLUTExclusive: Patent Pending Covers Blink 182's "Enema of the State"
 
You may have noticed a glaring omission from Patent Pending's Spring Break '99 EP. Sure, they covered such classic artists as Limp Bizkit, Backstreet Boys and Smash Mouth, but when I think of music from 1999, Blink 182's Enema of the State is the first to come to mind. Rather than choose one song from the pop punk classic, Patent Pending recorded a medley of all 12 tracks. Due to legal complications, the band is giving the song away for free. Head to the replies to stream and download the medley.

Alex DiVincenzo 12/13/12 06:13 AM

Enema of the State (Blink 182 cover)

Download the MP3 Here {Right click, Save as)

Pick up Spring Break 99 from Amazon or iTunes.

ACA 12/13/12 06:28 AM

For me, Black Sails in the Sunset is the first thing that jumps to mind when I hear 1999.

bradsonemanband 12/13/12 06:31 AM

pretty cool

ChaseTx 12/13/12 06:32 AM

I'm a little disappointed that it's mostly just the singles, but still pretty cool.

zachff 12/13/12 06:33 AM

Not bad. I would've preferred if they didn't keep coming back to the What's My Age Again chorus.

Slangster 12/13/12 06:36 AM

I really want to like this, but... something is just off about it. I feel like it would have been better if they just covered one of the songs. Nice attempt though.

Kris_Gontz9 12/13/12 06:38 AM

Surprised, this is so good.

fenderstrat383 12/13/12 06:43 AM

I highly approve of this, but where's Dysentery Gary?!

rekker94 12/13/12 06:45 AM

I actually like this. Even if it is a medley, its really good.

DooDooBird 12/13/12 06:49 AM

I don't understand. What is the point of this?

Tucker SL! 12/13/12 06:54 AM

"due to legal confusion..?" why would a band try to sell something like this? maybe it's just me but doing a medley of an album with no artistic changes (other than making mashing it up into a medley) doesn't seem like something that should even be attempted to be sold..? aside from that, this was okay.. i dunno how you can start an 'Enema of the State' medley with anything but 'Dumpweed.' Also, this felt more like a medley of the radio singles rather than the entire album with just hints at the remaining tracks. Aside from that, yea it worked.

j-dogg_69 12/13/12 06:55 AM

Pretty cool idea!

MrGlanthor 12/13/12 06:56 AM

So good, i love me anything Patent Pending related

Alex DiVincenzo 12/13/12 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tucker SL! (Post 116487762)
"due to legal confusion..?" why would a band try to sell something like this? maybe it's just me but doing a medley of an album with no artistic changes (other than making mashing it up into a medley) doesn't seem like something that should even be attempted to be sold..? aside from that, this was okay.. i dunno how you can start an 'Enema of the State' medley with anything but 'Dumpweed.' Also, this felt more like a medley of the radio singles rather than the entire album with just hints at the remaining tracks. Aside from that, yea it worked.

The released an EP of cover songs from 1999. They knew a pop punk band covering a pop punk song would be boring, so they thought a medley would be more interesting. But the legalities of selling a medley - one song containing parts of 12 different songs to varying degrees - proved to be too confusing for even their lawyer to figure out. To take the safe route, they decided to release it for free and asked if we wanted to help.

bradsonemanband 12/13/12 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGlanthor (Post 116487842)
So good, i love me anything Patent Pending related

*their

ha

EDIT: dammit! you changed your post so now mine isn't funny!

kidinthebushes 12/13/12 07:12 AM

As much as I tend to dislike pop punk bands covering other pop punk bands, these guys can do no wrong.

Tucker SL! 12/13/12 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex DiVincenzo (Post 116487852)
The released an EP of cover songs from 1999. They knew a pop punk band covering a pop punk song would be boring, so they thought a medley would be more interesting. But the legalities of selling a medley - one song containing parts of 12 different songs to varying degrees - proved to be too confusing for even their lawyer to figure out. To take the safe route, they decided to release it for free and asked if we wanted to help.

good man. will always love ap.net's undying love for all that is pop punk.

ramomcferno 12/13/12 07:23 AM

This was really cool.

thisisalchemy 12/13/12 07:31 AM

a little stale sounding since they stuck with songs that have a similar BPM but nonetheless a clever mashup. would have loved to hear Dysentary Gary covered but oh well.

15 Step 12/13/12 07:34 AM

better than everything future idiots has put out

dmcaloon 12/13/12 07:43 AM

I definitely think they could've got creative by mixing the other tracks in more. They played it safe by using the similar/popular songs, but hey, it was pretty good.

mms13 12/13/12 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zachff (Post 116487252)
Not bad. I would've preferred if they didn't keep coming back to the What's My Age Again chorus.

They could have at least done all the variations of the chorus! "Still amused by TV shows", "Still amused by prank phone calls", "Still act like you're in freshmen year", rather than just the first

codeseven 12/13/12 07:57 AM

Eh, didn't really enjoy this all that much. I think the dude who did the acoustic rendition of all their albums was more entertaining. Not terrible though. Will need to listen to the rest of the EP.

ChaseTx 12/13/12 08:03 AM

Also, I thought the chord from the beginning of "Don't Leave Me" tacked on the end was a nice touch.

SteveD 12/13/12 09:24 AM

This is really cool.

When I heard their Break Stuff cover I had to listen to their back catalogue. I'm now completely obsessed with them. Second Family is great. I hate that I wrote them off after I listened to "Cheer Up Emo Kid"
:thumbup:

AdamBanks 12/13/12 09:26 AM

This is pretty awesome considering how short of a time they had to record this and the other 5 songs. Thanks for getting this out AP!

tplmarc 12/13/12 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenderstrat383 (Post 116487512)
I highly approve of this, but where's Dysentery Gary?!

During the bridge you can hear them sing. Girls are such a drag.

heyzombiehitler 12/13/12 10:27 AM

At first i thought they coveres the whole album. That would be cool to have some Blink covers that arnt total shiet.


Except the bluegrass cover of "Adams Song". That was amazing.

brookssurrender 12/13/12 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisisalchemy (Post 116488652)
a little stale sounding


more than a little. despite it being an interesting concept and me absolutely loving this album, this was pretty boring.

i hate myself for saying this, but i have to. maybe try this one more time with feeling?

nickthehick2 12/13/12 10:45 AM

The player isn't working for me

Alex DiVincenzo 12/13/12 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickthehick2 (Post 116496262)
The player isn't working for me

Give it another try. Should be good now.

irthesteve 12/13/12 10:51 AM

hmmm, don't really love this

YOU CANT WIN 12/13/12 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brookssurrender (Post 116495742)
more than a little. despite it being an interesting concept and me absolutely loving this album, this was pretty boring.

i hate myself for saying this, but i have to. maybe try this one more time with feeling?

awesome!

CoreyMadVillain 12/13/12 10:59 AM

So good! Love the Anthem pt.2 intro at the end.

Aliarcy 12/13/12 11:06 AM

it was alright but as far as blink covers go that Odi dude who does acoustic covers is easily the best

Lightsout911X 12/13/12 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliarcy (Post 116497502)
it was alright but as far as blink covers go that Odi dude who does acoustic covers is easily the best

Love those.

Duprix23 12/13/12 12:01 PM

I'm really not sure how I feel about this. I really like blink, but this band sounds like them except for the vocalist. I think that one song would have been a better idea if it weren't another pop-punk band...

dukenuk12 12/13/12 12:03 PM

I like the extended breakdown part best. Ending with Anthem's "I time bomb..." was a nice touch. One of my favorite album closers ever.

TDenverFan 12/13/12 12:17 PM

I actually really like this

heyzombiehitler 12/13/12 12:20 PM

So between blink 182 and Patent Pending, who did a better cover of "All Star"?

buddah knome 12/13/12 12:37 PM

This is a much nicer present on toms birthday then "no it isn't" was!

veronabryce 12/13/12 12:44 PM

Not to be a prick, but why do bands cover stuff more than work on their own songs now a days?
I do not like.

Crimson_Curse 12/13/12 12:45 PM

meh.
I can't get into the singers voice.

Alex DiVincenzo 12/13/12 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veronabryce (Post 116503362)
Not to be a prick, but why do bands cover stuff more than work on their own songs now a days?
I do not like.

They just released a new album last year. And an EP the year prior. And another EP the year before that. All original material. They recorded these covers in the spare time they had in the studio during their last album.

3GunGaz 12/13/12 02:01 PM

Given that the songs are so well known it's weird hearing the structure is so messed up. When I'm listening to it feels like it should flow like the originals... This just makes it feel awkward, but I like the idea and they've pulled it off quite well. It's just unusual.

lilguitardude76 12/13/12 02:25 PM

Not a fan of this band at all, met them at warped and they are such douches. they were shit talking Man Overboard when they rip off man o's tshirt designs. Not a fan of the singers voice wither. it just annoys me

kskillzz 12/13/12 02:29 PM

Haha don't get all the hate here. A band released a free cover that they did in their free time. They're not trying to do some crazy artistic take on the album, they're just having fun. I enjoyed it

BillAftermath 12/13/12 02:47 PM

So they didn't do the whole record? I guess I shouldn't be shocked since at least one member of this band had problems playing songs from Blue Skies...

Rustash 12/13/12 02:49 PM

Disappointed. It's not much of a medley if it's only three songs with the rest of the references clusterfucked into the bridge.