AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  News (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
  -  Ice Nine Kills Release Track with Tyler Carter (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2994042)

Keagan Ilvonen 12/25/12 02:58 PM

Ice Nine Kills Release Track with Tyler Carter
 
Jump to the replies to stream a new Ice Nine Kills' track "What I Never Learned in Study Hall" featuring Tyler Carter (Issues).

Submitted by Patrick McQuaid

Keagan Ilvonen 12/25/12 02:58 PM


billyboatkid 12/25/12 03:17 PM

Nawt bad. Forgot about these guys. Wish Tyler's voice was less fucked with tho.

DemBitties 12/25/12 04:14 PM

Jason Tate does not approve.

marsvoltamcr 12/25/12 04:23 PM

I really like these guys. Pretty cool dudes, plus I appreciate that they give away merch on their facebook almost daily. I can dig it.

OHismiwiiknis 12/25/12 04:35 PM

good stuff. i liked the acoustic version, but this electric sounds nice too. looking forward to another release. too bad dave couldn't stay with them. i enjoyed his vocal additions

LexXchaos 12/25/12 04:36 PM

I'm pretty sure this is an old song. Just a new version.

CastlesXClouds 12/25/12 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DemBitties (Post 116933532)
Jason Tate does not approve.

what was that beef about?

OHismiwiiknis 12/25/12 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexXchaos (Post 116933882)
I'm pretty sure this is an old song. Just a new version.

it's a new song, but it's been played a few times acoustically. you're thinking of the partner songs "what i should have learned in study hall" and "what i really learned in study hall". those were done acoustically about 6 years or so ago, during their transition from pop-ska to emo-hardcore. this is just a continuation of those songs, making it a trilogy. i see why you thought that tho. it can get confusing when there's so many similar song titles. ;-) mayhaps there's more to continue the story soon?

NorthstarPark 12/25/12 04:57 PM

I was going to say something but it's Christmas so I'll just say it tomorrow if I remember or care to.

saywhatever 12/25/12 05:39 PM

Way to ruin Christmas.

Chris Collum 12/25/12 05:56 PM

Yeah dude like fuck Jason Tate so HxC these guys are really really real and super intense and real and shit

TheModernAge 12/25/12 06:40 PM

Totally read this as "Nine Inch Nails releases track with Tyler, The Creator" and got super intrigued.

DemBitties 12/25/12 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CastlesXClouds (Post 116934022)
what was that beef about?


Apparently Jason had some unkind words about the band on here so they printed some merch that had his face on it that said "FUCK JASON TATE".

Anyone else care to fill in the details here?

duke0feggs 12/25/12 07:22 PM

shit, why would they ruin the acoustic jazzyness that they once we're renowned for in the 'what i ____ in study hall' series?

cantbesaved 12/25/12 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duke0feggs (Post 116937032)
shit, why would they ruin the acoustic jazzyness that they once we're renowned for in the 'what i ____ in study hall' series?

acoustic version will be released soon!

OHismiwiiknis 12/25/12 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CastlesXClouds (Post 116934022)
what was that beef about?

http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=308296

and this...


still enjoy their music, seemingly way more than most people. i would attribute it to poor taste, but my favorite bands are Brand New, The Republic of Wolves, Manchester Orchestra, Right Away, Great Captain!, and Everything Ace Enders... soooo.... possibly it's the nearly dead emo part of my brain clinging onto INK. who knows?

bobsheiskawy 12/25/12 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheModernAge (Post 116936392)
Totally read this as "Nine Inch Nails releases track with Tyler, The Creator" and got super intrigued.

that would be such a crazy collaboration haha.

CastlesXClouds 12/25/12 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHismiwiiknis (Post 116937562)
http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=308296

and this...


still enjoy their music, seemingly way more than most people. i would attribute it to poor taste, but my favorite bands are Brand New, The Republic of Wolves, Manchester Orchestra, Right Away, Great Captain!, and Everything Ace Enders... soooo.... possibly it's the nearly dead emo part of my brain clinging onto INK. who knows?


Quote:

Originally Posted by DemBitties (Post 116936882)
Apparently Jason had some unkind words about the band on here so they printed some merch that had his face on it that said "FUCK JASON TATE".

Anyone else care to fill in the details here?



Found it!!

http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=295468&onlybyuseri d=1083

bobsheiskawy 12/25/12 08:22 PM

also, this was close to the opposite of what i expected haha. thought this was a shitty metal band.

CastlesXClouds 12/25/12 08:25 PM

also, this song was my jam way back in the fucking day. like 6th or 7th grade haha


OHismiwiiknis 12/25/12 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CastlesXClouds (Post 116938242)


yowser! that's brutal

elemenohpe 12/26/12 06:00 AM

one of the few bands in this "scene" that i truly like. their last 2 records have been solid beginning to end. their style might be somewhat dated but, they do it well.

not digging THIS song very much but, I'm excited to hear the rest of the new EP... I'll have to wait until I get home from visiting family this week.

EDIT: and although it was really petty, the Fuck Jason Tate shirts really helped their career. i know lots of people that had never listened to them until after that ordeal.

Atavistic 12/26/12 06:03 AM

almost as bad as the new blink EP

positiv-o 12/26/12 07:42 AM

I think it's hilarious that 4+ years after that Tate drama bullshit, they STILL aren't even relevant. They've been at it for what seems like the past 6 years yet aren't even doing anything. Sucks.

anthonydarko 12/26/12 08:52 AM

I'm just waiting for the band's fake accounts to come in and post about how "amazing" the song is.

OHismiwiiknis 12/26/12 09:53 AM

this song is AMAZING

starwarsfan182 12/26/12 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atavistic (Post 116947772)
almost as bad as the new blink EP

You must be on crack

Joey-Wan Kenobi 12/26/12 10:46 AM

I was hoping the Tyler part would be longer and more important to the strong structure but it wasnt .bummer. Other than that , I'm definitely "meh" about this song.

rocknroll365 12/26/12 11:43 AM

i don't see the point to even bother having tyler carter in the song. i guess there's probably more tyler carter fans than the band has. song could have been a lot better, but still a fairly consistent solid band. not sure how they haven't put out more music than they have though.

blackmold 12/26/12 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknroll365 (Post 116953962)
i don't see the point to even bother having tyler carter in the song. i guess there's probably more tyler carter fans than the band has. song could have been a lot better, but still a fairly consistent solid band. not sure how they haven't put out more music than they have though.


True that. They probably payed to have him on the track, and it's probably pay by the verse or something like that. He's the only reason I checked this out tho. Still not a fan.

Spencer Control 12/26/12 02:32 PM

The whole thing with Tate was just ridiculously unprofessional for both sides, in my opinion.

Also, pretty sure this is a new version of an old song, but I might be wrong.

Not the biggest fan of the song/band, but whatever.

luqmanhakim 12/27/12 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by positiv-o (Post 116948742)
I think it's hilarious that 4+ years after that Tate drama bullshit, they STILL aren't even relevant.


Because Tate (all due respect) decides what's "hot" and "not" in this damn "scene" right? You sound like a writer for some Hollywood gossip column.

positiv-o 12/27/12 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luqmanhakim (Post 116980982)
Because Tate (all due respect) decides what's "hot" and "not" in this damn "scene" right? You sound like a writer for some Hollywood gossip column.


Maybe I should get a job doing that, I do love forming bitchy opinions of others.

I'm not saying that the Tate incident was going to catapult them into fame or anything. I just think its funny that they've been genre-hopping and really doing ANYTHING to become popular but they're still not. ate best they got was for their fans to vote them onto All Stars past summer. There's just a point, that they've passed, where the music only becomes about becoming rich and famous, like there's no actual desire to create "good" music. But hey, that's what I think and it doesn't even matter because I don't see these guys breaking into the "scene" suddenly after like 8 years of trying so.

OHismiwiiknis 12/27/12 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by positiv-o (Post 116990622)
I'm not saying that the Tate incident was going to catapult them into fame or anything. I just think its funny that they've been genre-hopping and really doing ANYTHING to become popular but they're still not. ate best they got was for their fans to vote them onto All Stars past summer. There's just a point, that they've passed, where the music only becomes about becoming rich and famous, like there's no actual desire to create "good" music. But hey, that's what I think and it doesn't even matter because I don't see these guys breaking into the "scene" suddenly after like 8 years of trying so.

it's unfair and unrealistic to require a band to keep the same sound over the course of a decade. as most band are formed in the bloom of youth, the members (same as you and me) have to figure themselves out as they grow. tastes change.

i didn't like Bob Dylan or Simon & Garfunkel when i was a teenager. now i do. i used to write emo-acoustic stuff, but my taste changed, and now i write folk / americana stuff. it just so happened that the "scene" started to say that folk was cool around the time i started liking it. does that make me fake? no. it makes me coincidental.

maybe they were trying to be popular, maybe they were just growing. after all, there's only one original member left anyway, and i know from experience that having differing members can change a sound drastically.

bottom line: you don't know their motives for changing their sound, so stop acting like you do.

cubine 12/27/12 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by positiv-o (Post 116948742)
I think it's hilarious that 4+ years after that Tate drama bullshit, they STILL aren't even relevant. They've been at it for what seems like the past 6 years yet aren't even doing anything. Sucks.

You really think they "aren't doing anything"? They're touring and putting out records just like any other band. Nothing wrong with consistent moderate success, not everybody has to rocket up the charts.

positiv-o 12/27/12 02:22 PM

You guys are just taking this too seriously, I'm not even trying to argue with fans. i don't like the band, and I don't like the way they run their band. But I dont care if other people do. I have my own opinion of them (that I posted days ago) and Im not saying that it's a fact or anything like that.

OHismiwiiknis 12/27/12 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by positiv-o (Post 116995892)
You guys are just taking this too seriously, I'm not even trying to argue with fans. i don't like the band, and I don't like the way they run their band. But I dont care if other people do. I have my own opinion of them (that I posted days ago) and Im not saying that it's a fact or anything like that.

"taking it seriously" is the whole point in most music. you can listen to Flight of the Conchords for some quality comedy, but that's about it. most other comedy singers lack subtlety, a necessary ingredient for lasting value.

but i digress. the point is that your opinion is invalid, because you use a faulty measuring rod. expecting bands to keep the same sound throughout their careers is a seriously flawed view, and thus, everything you say is invalid as regards music.

hence, your opinion is neither welcome nor acknowledged, because you have no credibility.

good day to you sir! :tophat:

anthonydarko 12/28/12 12:12 AM

Here's an point you can't argue against: This band has never been good, they've gotten nowhere notable in almost a decade of trying and trend hopping, and the fake accounts and delusional fans that come out of the woodwork to defend this shitty band in both news posts and the forums will never not be funny.

positiv-o 12/28/12 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHismiwiiknis (Post 117020162)
"taking it seriously" is the whole point in most music. you can listen to Flight of the Conchords for some quality comedy, but that's about it. most other comedy singers lack subtlety, a necessary ingredient for lasting value.

but i digress. the point is that your opinion is invalid, because you use a faulty measuring rod. expecting bands to keep the same sound throughout their careers is a seriously flawed view, and thus, everything you say is invalid as regards music.

hence, your opinion is neither welcome nor acknowledged, because you have no credibility.

good day to you sir! :tophat:


Really? I think this whole thing is hilarious. Your only response to my opinion is to say its wrong because of these ideas that you have set up? How does one statement about ONE band just cancelout ANY opinion I about music? Who ever said I'm judging every single band on this same thing. The fact is these guys used to attend shows, not even play them, just to sell CDs to people in line. That's not something I like. Another fact is they use to do this at All Time Low shows because they were pop rock. The fact is that they are now not pop rock. No, I cant tell you why they did that. Natural musical growth is one thing, I think these guys changed genres for other reasons. BUT HEY it's my opinion. And there's nothing that makes it more valid than yours. So I don't see why your attempt to "win" this "argument" is to just devalue my own opinion and say I don't have any credibility. Which is, surprise, just your opinion. We're both as credible as the other, if we had any sort of relevance I doubt we would be even having this discussion on a music forum, so I don't really quite see your point of saying that.


Two more facts? I'm not a sir, and I could easily resort to name calling here. I'm done with this conversation because I don't think either of us are gaining anything out of this. So keep your opinion to yourself and I'll keep mine. Everyone wins.

positiv-o 12/28/12 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonydarko (Post 117021522)
Here's an point you can't argue against: This band has never been good, they've gotten nowhere notable in almost a decade of trying and trend hopping, and the fake accounts and delusional fans that come out of the woodwork to defend this shitty band in both news posts and the forums will never not be funny.


Thank you, I thought I was going crazy.

anthonydarko 12/28/12 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by positiv-o (Post 117021802)
Thank you, I thought I was going crazy.

This is how every INK posts goes, people come in and rightfully put down this band for valid reasons, and the band, through a series of fake accounts that are completely obvious and can be spotted a mile away, come in and pathetically defend their vapid music through insults and put downs. I'd say there are fans too but since they also come out only in INK posts and post in similar patterns as the fake accounts, it's beyond any doubt that those profile are ran by the band as well. It's truly sad and probably never stop until the band finally gives up.

OHismiwiiknis 12/28/12 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by positiv-o (Post 117021772)
Really? I think this whole thing is hilarious. Your only response to my opinion is to say its wrong because of these ideas that you have set up? How does one statement about ONE band just cancelout ANY opinion I about music? Who ever said I'm judging every single band on this same thing. The fact is these guys used to attend shows, not even play them, just to sell CDs to people in line. That's not something I like. Another fact is they use to do this at All Time Low shows because they were pop rock. The fact is that they are now not pop rock. No, I cant tell you why they did that. Natural musical growth is one thing, I think these guys changed genres for other reasons. BUT HEY it's my opinion. And there's nothing that makes it more valid than yours. So I don't see why your attempt to "win" this "argument" is to just devalue my own opinion and say I don't have any credibility. Which is, surprise, just your opinion. We're both as credible as the other, if we had any sort of relevance I doubt we would be even having this discussion on a music forum, so I don't really quite see your point of saying that.


Two more facts? I'm not a sir, and I could easily resort to name calling here. I'm done with this conversation because I don't think either of us are gaining anything out of this. So keep your opinion to yourself and I'll keep mine. Everyone wins.

Perhaps it was harsh to say that your opinions are invalid, as this is possibly the only band that you trash talk in this manner. But you're making accusations, not opinions. You have no evidence but keep asserting the reasons they changed were not admirable. That's not an opinion. "I don't like their music" is an opinion. Thats not "ideas being set up". Thats your own thoughts setting them up. If what you said about them selling merch at others' shows is true, that's pretty shitty. I'm honestly surprised that so many of you hate them tho. Usually hatred is reserved for the bands at the top of the ladder, not in the lower-mid rungs. Like I said before, I don't generally have bad taste in music, and I've seen some truly horrible hardcore bands promoted here, so no offense, but probably we'll always have a lot to disagree about. Just because Tate doesn't like it doesn't me I have to.

OHismiwiiknis 12/28/12 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonydarko (Post 117021522)
Here's an point you can't argue against: This band has never been good, they've gotten nowhere notable in almost a decade of trying and trend hopping, and the fake accounts and delusional fans that come out of the woodwork to defend this shitty band in both news posts and the forums will never not be funny.

You have a strange definition of notable.

OHismiwiiknis 12/28/12 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonydarko (Post 117022262)
This is how every INK posts goes, people come in and rightfully put down this band for valid reasons, and the band, through a series of fake accounts that are completely obvious and can be spotted a mile away, come in and pathetically defend their vapid music through insults and put downs. I'd say there are fans too but since they also come out only in INK posts and post in similar patterns as the fake accounts, it's beyond any doubt that those profile are ran by the band as well. It's truly sad and probably never stop until the band finally gives up.

Those who enjoy their own emotionally bad health and who habitually fill their own minds with the rank poisons of suspicion, jealousy and hatred, as a rule take umbrage at those who refuse to do likewise, and they find a perverted relief in trying to denigrate them.
-Johannes Brahms

Also, I assure you that I'm not an undercover ink agent

anthonydarko 12/28/12 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHismiwiiknis (Post 117023392)
You have a strange definition of notable.

Oh, you mean the one that is defined as doing something that is worthy of note? Because that band has done nothing that fits that term.
Quote:

Originally Posted by OHismiwiiknis (Post 117023462)
Those who enjoy their own emotionally bad health and who habitually fill their own minds with the rank poisons of suspicion, jealousy and hatred, as a rule take umbrage at those who refuse to do likewise, and they find a perverted relief in trying to denigrate them.
-Johannes Brahms

Also, I assure you that I'm not an undercover ink agent

Lol yeah, let's use a quote from a musician about basically whinning about critics and people putting down I'm guessing his own work to make your point. Oh no, people don't like things and will speak up about it, the nerve!

OHismiwiiknis 12/28/12 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonydarko (Post 117024022)
Oh, you mean the one that is defined as doing something that is worthy of note? Because that band has done nothing that fits that term.


no. i meant the one about housewives.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonydarko (Post 117024022)
yeah, let's use a quote from a musician about basically whinning about critics and people putting down I'm guessing his own work to make your point. Oh no, people don't like things and will speak up about it, the nerve!


please turn this into a sentence. as far as the rest, you missed the point. it's not the speaking up part, it's the disgust for people who don't share your view. and how you get off on attacking them for it. think of it like a complex explanation of "misery loves company."

you see, you feel like they haven't done anything noteworthy, because you don't like their music. it has nothing to do with how successful they are (e.g. i feel like lady gaga is not noteworthy, because she hasn't had a single release that i can relate to, respect or even remember, except for that song about oral sex (she kept saying "poke her face" in the chorus), but i've only heard it once... on accident. my point is, it has nothing to do with her popularity, just as your assessment of INK's noteworthiness has nothing to do with how many people like them.

i like INK's music, mostly from their hardcore transition period, because it's largely relateable for me, for the things i was going through at the time, and nothing will change the memories i have from those years. noteworthy is relative to perspective, just like good music, and because of how much their music means to their fans, INK is noteworthy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonydarko (Post 117021522)
Here's an point you can't argue against

Here's a point you can't argue against. :thumbup:

anthonydarko 12/28/12 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHismiwiiknis (Post 117024302)
no. i meant the one about housewives.



please turn this into a sentence. as far as the rest, you missed the point. it's not the speaking up part, it's the disgust for people who don't share your view. and how you get off on attacking them for it. think of it like a complex explanation of "misery loves company."

you see, you feel like they haven't done anything noteworthy, because you don't like their music. it has nothing to do with how successful they are (e.g. i feel like lady gaga is not noteworthy, because she hasn't had a single release that i can relate to, respect or even remember, except for that song about oral sex (she kept saying "poke her face" in the chorus), but i've only heard it once... on accident. my point is, it has nothing to do with her popularity, just as your assessment of INK's noteworthiness has nothing to do with how many people like them.

i like INK's music, mostly from their hardcore transition period, because it's largely relateable for me, for the things i was going through at the time, and nothing will change the memories i have from those years. noteworthy is relative to perspective, just like good music, and because of how much their music means to their fans, INK is noteworthy.


Here's a point you can't argue against. :thumbup:

Sure I can argue against it, as you're doing the same thing. You're disgusted by how I view the band and so you're attacking me for it, getting off from trying to be being victorious in this argument. So I ask, how are you better than I? I can also argue that your point has very little to do with mine and you're using your own personal connection to their horrible music as a basis for being right. Oh and if you want to attack my grammar, you could take a page out your own book and learn to capitalize your words.

anthonydarko 12/28/12 03:54 AM

It's like arguing that Bud Light is more notable then a craft beer in a beer discussion because you had a personal connection to it. While that's nice and all, it's still a below average party beer and your point really doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

OHismiwiiknis 12/28/12 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonydarko (Post 117024492)
It's like arguing that Bud Light is more notable then a craft beer in a beer discussion because you had a personal connection to it. While that's nice and all, it's still a below average party beer and your point really doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things.

some people only drink bud light. i know a few of those people. i dont criticize their taste when theyre clearly not up for trying a darker ale like "blue moon". it's all a matter of personal preference, and when it comes to INK's music, i prefer their lyrics and sound to many other hardcore bands that i find repulsive.

thanks for giving me an illustration to work with tho. :)