AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Interviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
  -  Me As a Pilot - 01.08.13 (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=3006402)

Jeremy Aaron 01/08/13 09:20 PM

Me As a Pilot - 01.08.13

The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Me As a Pilot

http://measapilot.bandcamp.com

1. How did you get your band name?

Well, this project is more of a solo project of sorts. So the name kind of becomes self explanatory. I've been playing in a ridiculous amount of bands for years, and this is kind of the one thing where I'm the one in control. The "pilot", I guess?

2. How did this band get started?

I've been writing music since I was 15. I think in about 2007 I decided to play under a moniker.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

It's hard to say. If I had to toss a couple out there, it'd be Ryan Adams, David Bazan, and My Morning Jacket.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Past: The Beatles, because...duh.
Present: Margot & The Nuclear So and So's. That band gets consistently more amazing with every record they put out. They never cease to impress me. It would be an honor to share the stage with them.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

Haven't really been on tour too often, however one time I was in Nebraska and we saw a Sonic. We didn't have them in Minnesota, so actually had Sonic for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It was amazing.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

I don't know. Because you're curious?

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Michael Jordan, because he's retired and rich and doesn't have to play sports.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

The academy, beer, my friends, my family, and beer.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

I suppose it all seems a little superficial. I feel like there's this attitude of "you have to do these things" or "you have to go to these places" or whatever, all just to be successful. In my opinion, it should be about the music you make, not the people you know. Granted, touring is a great way to spread the word about your music, I suppose the problem is all of the shitty bands that can tour.

10. Memorable tour experience?

Once again, haven't toured that often, but going back to that time in Nebraska (that place ruled), we found this barter store right by the venue we were playing at. The place was amazing. I'm pretty sure our bass player got an all leather suit. I might have gotten some boots. It's hard to explain how cool that place was. They had everything.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

It's a great musical community.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

Currently, the song "Into Your Soul" from my EP Slowly Turn To Dust. It's way more energetic with the live band, and it goes back and forth from 5/4 to 4/4 time, so that's always fun.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

My lady and I went to Kauai last February. I fell in love. The place is great.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

My family was never extremely musical. My Dad always played some cassettes in the car. The one's I remember are Nirvana, The Spin Doctors, I think there was some Counting Crows in there somewhere.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Well, my favorite super-hero is Batman, who has no super powers. Well, except for the power to be totally fucking badass. I want that super power.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

I used to have a few back in the day. I'd wear the same underwear for every show and do some silly warm-ups. Now I just drink beer, and have a cigarette right before I go on stage.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

I love the Zelda games. All of them. They're incredible!

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

I'm lucky enough to live in Minnesota. I feel like we have some pretty great radio stations. Local bands get played on the radio all of the time here, and a lot of people discover new music through the radio. Not sure what it's like in other places, but here it's a very useful tool for bands to spread their word.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Play Zelda, read, drink coffee, hang out. Nothing all too exciting for me.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

I can do a handstand for five hours, and I can make my voice sound like a baby or an old man. I guess you could call those talents.