AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  2*Sweet - Sleep Without Dreams (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=320423)

cory-182 05/28/08 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyguitar99 (Post 9522086)
I have there EP and it turned out really heavy

sounds like they changed a lot since then though


I checked these guys out years ago and I didn't like what I heard, but I picked up their new album at their show and from what I've heard I really like it.

lifeloveregret 05/28/08 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newfoundmichael (Post 9528966)
After a few more listens I am starting to realize the lack of originality on the album. I usually listen to an album twice before reviewing it (which I did here) but after a couple more...the novelty wore off for me.


Quote:

Originally Posted by newfoundmichael (Post 9529734)
I suppose you are right there. I will make some changes to the RIYL so people will not be confused. Thanks for the advice.


"rewrite not a single line", eh?

newfoundmichael 05/28/08 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeloveregret (Post 9530968)
"rewrite not a single line", eh?


haha, touche.

maybe I should throw some small print in there somewhere.

CWeezer2 05/28/08 03:59 PM

you sold them short, in my opinion. as for comments on the lack of originality, i find them to be 100000 times more original than any of the FBR/super high pitch-nasal vocals/cobra starship-esq stuff out there. i applaud any band that doesn't promise to make me dance. it seems as though every band out there is pushing that and 2*sweet's diabetic coma isn't exactly a dance party.....

jmantua 05/28/08 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dylanluthier (Post 9530019)
the genre is "doom pop"


exactly

A78 05/28/08 05:10 PM

This band's name sounds like they'd be like N*Sync.

ship of fools 05/28/08 06:07 PM

are we listening to the same cd here? i would not describe anything about this album the way you did. with that voice, i would be looking over my shoulder to make sure somethign wasnt about to attack me. odd band.

newfoundmichael 05/28/08 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ship of fools (Post 9532487)
are we listening to the same cd here? i would not describe anything about this album the way you did. with that voice, i would be looking over my shoulder to make sure somethign wasnt about to attack me. odd band.


I guess I listened to this a lot differently than other people did. I don't see "doom" here the way a lot of people do. It didn't scare me. I mean, it was pop punk music...and for the most part seemed like a summer album.

youareallfreaks 05/28/08 07:07 PM

"From the first few seconds of Justin Pence‘s wooing voice you can see exactly why the guys decided on the name."

really? there is nothing sweet about his voice. his style is so weird. this band is so weird. he sounds like this weird dude making fun of an opera singer. but somehow it works.

newfoundmichael 05/29/08 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youareallfreaks (Post 9532944)
"From the first few seconds of Justin Pence‘s wooing voice you can see exactly why the guys decided on the name."

really? there is nothing sweet about his voice. his style is so weird. this band is so weird. he sounds like this weird dude making fun of an opera singer. but somehow it works.


there are a few moments where i catch that, but overall i didn't seem to feel the spooky/creepy thing that everyone is feeling. they may be a little creepier than your average radio band, but i'm just not picking up on what everyone else was i guess. i can't even imagine why either.

JackSlapFear 05/29/08 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newfoundmichael (Post 9532878)
I guess I listened to this a lot differently than other people did. I don't see "doom" here the way a lot of people do. It didn't scare me. I mean, it was pop punk music...and for the most part seemed like a summer album.


its not supposed to scare you but songs about suicide and the devil arent exactly the happiest of music

newfoundmichael 05/29/08 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackSlapFear (Post 9537306)
its not supposed to scare you but songs about suicide and the devil arent exactly the happiest of music


Users have commented on this review that the music scared them a bit. Not so much in those words, but they did say it. And they may be singing about suicide nad the devil, but the way it is gone about isn't exactly the same way other bands who sing about those things would. It's more upbeat.

opeumii 05/29/08 09:51 PM

in regards to the "doom pop", its got a ton of catchy hooks and pop choruses and fun parts, yet there are some riffs and vocals that could be in a horror film -- everythings a little creepy, and it effin rules in my opinion

great listen, but of course im biased because i've followed them since 04 and have strong sexual desires for dave cronin

opeumii 05/29/08 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newfoundmichael (Post 9543481)
Users have commented on this review that the music scared them a bit. Not so much in those words, but they did say it. And they may be singing about suicide nad the devil, but the way it is gone about isn't exactly the same way other bands who sing about those things would. It's more upbeat.


hence doom pop

best album of 08 thus far, nuff said

whoadudeyeah 05/30/08 01:02 PM

if i had 2 guess i would say they sound more liek n*sync lol i mean come on look at there name!