AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  Anberlin - New Surrender (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=673722)

MusicTalks 11/23/08 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aealeman (Post 27668432)
This wasn't a very well written review, but I do agree this album was disappointing.

I agree. It's not written well at all and I while I agree that it's not my favorite, or strongest (in my opinion), I just felt like this was written without any direction. On top of that, this album sounds NOTHING like Cartel's Cartel. I still liked New Surrender, but definitely not this review.

MusicTalks 11/23/08 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregisXcore (Post 27689222)
i really liked this album. haight street is a sick song

I totally agree, it's my favorite song. Totally rad.

Gil Schwartzman 11/23/08 07:35 PM

This review confuses me. 75% seems to be a pretty high score for basically saying the album only has two solid tracks. Also, while I know a review of this sort is based highly on opinion, I think its a bit harsh. I think some of the later tracks in the album are great. Soft Skeletons and Miserabile Visu are both great songs in my opinion. The reviewer calls both of them flops without really providing a reason. If your going to bash the album it would be a good idea to say why, instead of just saying its bad because the songs do not appeal to you.

Personally, I think New Surrender is a great album by Anberlin. It has its ups and downs, but there isn't a single track that I would call bad. Most of them seem to lack the meaning that some older Anberlin songs have, but that isn't necessary bad. It seems more like one of the up-beat catchy summer albums, nothing wrong with that. I think this album suffers from a few issues with certain tracks not being up to par with what Anberlin is capable of, but all their albums have had that. Cities was no better. It had a few really powerful tracks, and a few that are just sort of filler. It seems most people think Cities is their best album, and I don't really see it. I'd probably have to say that Dismantle Repair is, and always will be my favorite Anberlin tracks, but there are a few on Cities that are pretty low on my list. Its hard to rank their albums as they all have some really stellar tracks on them. New Surrender is getting a lot of play right now, but I would have to bet that over the year, I have listened to and enjoyed NTFP far more than any of their other albums. NTFP is really what made me fall in love with this band.

xsinkshipsx 11/23/08 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gil Schwartzman (Post 27696262)
This review confuses me. 75% seems to be a pretty high score for basically saying the album only has two solid tracks. Also, while I know a review of this sort is based highly on opinion, I think its a bit harsh. I think some of the later tracks in the album are great. Soft Skeletons and Miserabile Visu are both great songs in my opinion. The reviewer calls both of them flops without really providing a reason. If your going to bash the album it would be a good idea to say why, instead of just saying its bad because the songs do not appeal to you.

Personally, I think New Surrender is a great album by Anberlin. It has its ups and downs, but there isn't a single track that I would call bad. Most of them seem to lack the meaning that some older Anberlin songs have, but that isn't necessary bad. It seems more like one of the up-beat catchy summer albums, nothing wrong with that. I think this album suffers from a few issues with certain tracks not being up to par with what Anberlin is capable of, but all their albums have had that. Cities was no better. It had a few really powerful tracks, and a few that are just sort of filler. It seems most people think Cities is their best album, and I don't really see it. I'd probably have to say that Dismantle Repair is, and always will be my favorite Anberlin tracks, but there are a few on Cities that are pretty low on my list. Its hard to rank their albums as they all have some really stellar tracks on them. New Surrender is getting a lot of play right now, but I would have to bet that over the year, I have listened to and enjoyed NTFP far more than any of their other albums. NTFP is really what made me fall in love with this band.

i feel like the concept of a review is to tell people what I thought of the record. You are entitled to your opinion. I thank you for your feedback though. I didn't come into this review meaning to bash the record. I think there are some quality tracks on the record. I just thought that it wasn't up to par with anberlin's previous work. I stand behind my 75% that I gave it. It isn't an amazing record but it is decent. And I think it is very obviously that being on a major label changed things. But I could be wrong. This is just my feelings on the record.

hipv182 11/23/08 08:20 PM

I dont like how everyone thinks this album is a letdown.
I love it.

unnameworthy 11/23/08 09:16 PM

I mostly agree with this review, but after seeing the band play some of this material live, I'd say production is my least favorite thing about this album. The producer is, in large part, to blame for selling Mr. Christian short, and giving the instrumentation on these track about as much edge as a circle. The songwriting isn't their best ever, but this album would still be much more appealing if it'd had sharper production.

Quote:

It has its ups and downs, but there isn't a single track that I would call bad.

I'd have to politely disagree; most of the songs on the album have some redeeming value, but I found "Blame Me, Blame Me" to be flat-out awful.

alann 11/23/08 10:01 PM

I liked it, but i was expecting a darker sound.
Cities was so good

themadsilentist 11/23/08 10:39 PM

Decent review.
I disagree with almost everything you said, but still, not badly written.

xsinkshipsx 11/23/08 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themadsilentist (Post 27714302)
Decent review.
I disagree with almost everything you said, but still, not badly written.

I appreciate you....thank you

Hockeywall 11/23/08 11:09 PM

I think the album for the most part is good. Only 2 or 3 songs that don't cut it for me[blame me!, Soft Skeletons, and Misu]

S9Dallasoz 11/23/08 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unnameworthy (Post 27706402)
I'd have to politely disagree; most of the songs on the album have some redeeming value, but I found "Blame Me, Blame Me" to be flat-out awful.


I love almost everything Anberlin touches, but agreed, "Blame Me! Blame Me!" is not a good song.
Apparently it's Stephen Christian's favorite on the album though.

Cheesus 11/24/08 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xsinkshipsx (Post 27699212)
i feel like the concept of a review is to tell people what I thought of the record. You are entitled to your opinion. I thank you for your feedback though. I didn't come into this review meaning to bash the record. I think there are some quality tracks on the record. I just thought that it wasn't up to par with anberlin's previous work. I stand behind my 75% that I gave it. It isn't an amazing record but it is decent. And I think it is very obviously that being on a major label changed things. But I could be wrong. This is just my feelings on the record.


to be completely honest, I think you are 100% on the money with this review. Being very aware of Anberlins big label jump also helped me shape my opinion on this album. Needless to say, most of it just sounds "safe", which for now, is not a bad thing. I feel like this record is refreshing for Anberlin because it lets us all see just how good they can be, even when their creativity is slightly cramped.

I get the feeling that they will eventually, like most other indie to big label bands, drop the label and dig up their roots once again. Until then, this album is good! :)

Cheesus 11/24/08 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S9Dallasoz (Post 27719262)
I love almost everything Anberlin touches, but agreed, "Blame Me! Blame Me!" is not a good song.
Apparently it's Stephen Christian's favorite on the album though.

AHHH I hate to disagree but thats just one of my favorites. I don't know why, songs like that normally don't catch my attention but somehow it did!

threepunchjim 11/24/08 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megan0507 (Post 27668552)
At first I didn't like the album at all because it just did not seem like Anberlin but now dare I say it...its my favorite Anberlin album


This is legitmate. Every Anberlin release stands alone. Whether it's the emo-garage feel of Blueprints, the fun pop-fluid Never Take, the anthemic (word?) Cities, or the straight up alternative rock of New Surrender - it's all good to me, but like you, New Surrender is my favorite.

I think Anberlin's releases keep even with the development of my music taste. Every time I think I've finally grown out of Anberlin and that "scene," they drop another LP that draws me back in.

threepunchjim 11/24/08 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unnameworthy (Post 27706402)
I'd have to politely disagree; most of the songs on the album have some redeeming value, but I found "Blame Me, Blame Me" to be flat-out awful.


Yeah, the album is hot, but my finger can't pound the skip button fast enough when "Blame Me" comes on.