AbsolutePunk.net

AbsolutePunk.net (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forum.php)
-  Reviews (http://www.absolutepunk.net/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
  -  I Am The Avalanche - I Am The Avalanche (http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=97160)

Drew Beringer 11/20/05 02:13 PM

I Am The Avalanche - I Am The Avalanche

I Am The Avalanche- I Am The Avalanche
Release Date: September 27, 2005
Drive Thru Records

In 2003, The Movielife, one of my favorite bands ever, broke up. After the release of "Forty Hour Train Back To Penn" and extensive touring, they called it quits. In the 18 band-less months that followed, former Movielife vocalist Vinnie Caruana experienced things he never has before. Instead of playing sold-out clubs to frantic fans, he was working construction in Brooklyn. After a lot of personal growth, he decided it was time to get back to the music he loved. He recruited former Further Seems Forever guitarist Brandon Swanson, and brought in bassist Kellen Robson, guitarist Michael Ireland, and drummer Brett Romnes to create his new band, I Am The Avalanche. Produced by Barret Jones (Nirvana, Foo Fighters), this album covers a wide variety of emotions, from breakups to substance abuse to Caruana's personal fears and dreams. Musically, you're going to want to punch your fist in the air and sing your heart out.

"Dead And Gone" kicks off the album with clawing guitars, bouncy basslines, a chorus rich with harmony, and sweet gang vocals. When I first listened to this, a huge smile crept along my face, as I heard Vinnie's voice for the first time in a while. Vinnie has one the most distinct and passionate voices Iíve ever heard, and this is one of the strengths on this album. "New Disaster" sounds like a track that could have been on a Movielife album. It's fast and in your face. "Murderous" has a little reggae flavor mixed with Vinnie's vocals that features a catchy power-pop riff. "Green Eyes" starts with a small guitar line mixed with Vinnie's bare vocals that lead into a chugging rocker with a fun refrain. "I Took A Beating" is track that kicks you in the gut, fresh with attitude and anguish. My favorite track is "This Is Dungeon Music". It's the hardest song on the album and Vinnie's raspy vocals shine. This album is filled with emotion and intensity, an album that'll get you going no matter what.

I've been waiting and wondering if Vinnie Caruana would ever return to the scene. The Movielife impacted my life very much during my high school years and Vinnie has always been one of my favorite vocalists. When I heard he had a new project, I was excited but wary at the same time. Needless to say, I Am The Avalanche does not disappoint me. Right now, this is the best release from Drive Thru Records all year and will please many. If you loved the Movielife, you'll love this. If you're a fan of passionate vocals mixed with rocking guitars, this is also for you. I Am The Avalanche have the potential to be better than The Movielife and go places that Vinnie's former band never went. Vinnie Caruana is back, and I couldn't be any more excited.

GoWaitInTheCar 02/25/06 01:20 PM

Brandon and NOY will still take him out though. :)

I liked this cd.

Blake Solomon 02/28/06 06:59 PM

I have the NOY cd and just finally bought this one. They are so different but are also both really good. i really like the IATA cd, its def. a fun listen. Good, caring review.

dontgrabtindy 06/19/06 12:16 PM

i love this cd

underthetalking 06/27/06 10:35 AM

I just want to go to one IATA show and not have some asshole who thinks he is funny yell "Play Hand Grenade"

flks511 03/28/09 08:56 AM

I miss the Movielife, but this is a great band also.

dhelmick 08/06/09 11:24 PM

ok im going to just let everyone know how in the dark i was when it came to these guys... i had no idea some of the members came from the movielife and FSF. This amazes me. i really like this cd. Id have to say dead and gone, new disaster, and green eyes are my faves. green eyes is kind of a sad break up song but it still has grit and doesnt sound sad or sappy. so good. thanks for the info in this review:). Plus i bought this album on tunes and never realised it was released on drivethru. i learn so much every day

phillycheese37 02/02/10 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWaitInTheCar (Post 2704091)
Brandon and NOY will still take him out though. :)

I liked this cd.

at the risk of sounding ignorant, what is "NOY"?

cwhit412 02/04/10 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillycheese37 (Post 61404372)
at the risk of sounding ignorant, what is "NOY"?

Nightmare Of You.

phillycheese37 02/05/10 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwhit412 (Post 61528611)
Nightmare Of You.

hey thanks!

Jay Evan 02/26/11 03:13 PM

Are they ever making a sophomore album?