AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.
Inside AP.net

Sleeping With Sirens - 12.28.11

Interviewed by: Christian Wagner (12/28/11)
Sleeping With Sirens is a name you'll soon have to be familiar with. The post-hardcore band has been gaining steam with the release of two full length albums on Rise Records and they'll be hitting the road as part of Warped Tour 2012. Thanks to Kellin and Make Cubillos for making this interview possible.

1. Please introduce yourself and what you do in the band.

My name is Kellin Quinn. I sing for the band Sleeping With Sirens.

2. You were just announced for Warped. Thoughts?

Very excited! We are looking forward to playing our music for a lot of new listeners. Our band has finally come into it's own. I'm really anxious to show all the skeptics that we can actually pull off the music on our album, and aren't just another bull shit band.

3. Even though you guys are grouped with heavier bands, there isn't a lot of screaming and straightforward hardcore found in your music. Is there where you want to be or do you want to be associated with different acts?

I don't mind being associated with heavier music, but at the same time I hate being grouped with bands that play the music some listeners assume we ourselves play. We tried hard to ungroup ourselves with our new album, I'm confident the third will really set us apart, and I'm excited about that.

4. Let's talk about the new full length. Can you give some background on it?

The new full length was written in a freezing storage unit, in this middle of no where town called Talent, Oregon last January. It was a very different process, because we were working with two completely different guitar players then our previous album. We had a very short amount of time to come up with enough songs to travel to Portland where we were set to record with Kris Crummett. We went with Kris because we wanted a raw unpolished sound for this second album. We really wanted to write something real, without all the fake drums and production that other bands cling to. It was important for us to show that Sleeping With Sirens actually has talent, and other than maybe 3 songs on the album, I was really happy with the outcome.

5. Who wrote "A Trophy Father's Trophy Son?" It seems extremely personal.

I wrote the song based on my vision towards not only my own father, but also in watching my step children's vision of their dad. It's easy to write off your feelings, you do it to continue on living. You pretend that it's just the way your life is, and there is nothing you can do to change it. When you have to watch someone else especially a child go through the same disappointments you went through, it's tough. It opened up a lot of feelings I haven't felt in a long time, and I really wanted to write about it.

6. It looks like the song titles from the new album seem a lot more serious than your first full length. Was this intentional or just a process of maturation?

Yeah, the song titles are more grown up, because we ourselves had to grow up. We got a lot of shit from people, including AP.net for our first album, which is understandable. Many of the songs on the previous album like their titles were lame to even me. I don't get upset when people tell us we suck, or we write shitty music, I get more inspired. We don't write music to please everyone, because it's impossible to do so, but it does put things in perspective for me personally. I don't want our band to be a fad band, I want to mature with every record. Criticism is a huge part to writing better, hence the reason for the change with "cheers."

7. What was it like working with Kris Crummett?

It was a rewarding experience. Everything on the album is us and i'm really proud of that. He is a great producer, he is just really hands off, so you'd have to make sure you had your songs ready to track when you got there. So many times I recall while I was in the booth he'd say, "what you're singing isn't working." I'd ask for suggestions, and he would reply with, "just not that." -LOL- I'd sit in that vocal booth for hours writing and rewriting parts. At the end of the day I'm grateful for our time at Interlace with Kris.

8. This is something that is found online - "Its working title was "Who Are You Now?" being named to a Christian moral, but it was changed to fit along with not having any religious attributes." Is there any validity to this? What happened with the album naming process?

We wanted to name the album Who Are You Now? because plain and simple, we changed our sound, We thought the album title was fitting. I found out that the band, This Providence, had named one of their albums Who Are You Now? already, so we changed it to the current title.

9. Plans for 2012?

Taking a lengthy break to write a new album.

10. Anything else to say?

Thanks to our fans for supporting us, coming to shows, and helping us to strive to be a better band. Thank you to everyone else for supporting the bands they do enjoy. Websites like absolutepunk.net keep music alive and I'm truly thankful for that.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19.
07:41 AM on 12/29/11
B.Leibo
User Info.
Deep, yet straightforward.
08:23 AM on 12/29/11
himynameisjm
IM THE SHIT
User Info.
dudes in it for the long haul at least :)
10:04 AM on 12/29/11
JoeSledger
Registered Member
User Info.
Seriously, what's "post-hardcore"? It seems to be overly used and misused. Its gotta be more than just singing & screaming.
10:26 AM on 12/29/11
leifstar
l.i.a.r.
User Info.
Loved their second album. Excited to hear some more from them.
10:35 AM on 12/29/11
rocknroll365
rocknroll365
User Info.
not really big in to high pitch singers but i do enjoy this bands music. really looking forward to the acoustic ep.
11:00 AM on 12/29/11
StephenYoung
dumb
User Info.
Seriously, what's "post-hardcore"? It seems to be overly used and misused. Its gotta be more than just singing & screaming.
This band has nothing to do with Post Hardcore. Listen to At The Drive in Bear Vs. Shark and La Dispute.
11:26 AM on 12/29/11
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
User Info.
easily the best band of their kind (whatever you want to call it). decent interview, the best part was seeing that they're taking a break to write a new album. they can't release new music fast enough. really looking forward to warped.
11:38 AM on 12/29/11
JoeSledger
Registered Member
User Info.
This band has nothing to do with Post Hardcore. Listen to At The Drive in Bear Vs. Shark and La Dispute.

I listen to La Dispute, I have their whole discography. I'm asking cause everyone uses that term to describe these "screamo" bands, so what's the actual genre description. What would you call a band like We Came As Romans?

Listening to SWS new album, I would say Christian wrongly described them as "post-hardcore".
12:08 PM on 12/29/11
StephenYoung
dumb
User Info.
I listen to La Dispute, I have their whole discography. I'm asking cause everyone uses that term to describe these "screamo" bands, so what's the actual genre description. What would you call a band like We Came As Romans?

Listening to SWS new album, I would say Christian wrongly described them as "post-hardcore".
I'm not sure what I would call them, but they aren't screamo. Screamo is stuff like Orchid, innards, Suis La Lune, etc. etc. A lot of the newer bands, I call nu-metalcore, because they're like metalcore, but unlike what metalcore started out (converge, coalesce, etc.). I'd refer bands like Miss May I, TDWP, etc. as nu-metalcore, and I don't listen to WCAR, but I assume they sound similar, so they would go there I suppose.
12:25 PM on 12/29/11
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
Gonna keep giving this dude a shot, he'll probably release something really solid some time.
12:40 PM on 12/29/11
punker24
punker24
User Info.

its a broad term its more of a spectrum than a strict definition. For the We Came As Romans/Sleeping With Sirens generation of bands it's mostly the mixing of genres typically but not limited to metalcore, hardcore, pop punk etc. and also heavy and light parts vocally or instrumentally throughout the songs or an album. It just depends what each particular band leans closer to as their influence whether its more "metalcore", more "pop punk" or something else, as to exactly how close they are to one of the said genres while also including aspects of others.

Id say We Came as Romans are post-hardcore leaning more towards metalcore since emphasize their "heavy" and "technical" parts but also have the singing parts as well. La Dispute leans towards experimental hardcore. Post hardcore is just pretty wide and ambiguous "genre" that has obviously changed in what it includes over time but i think the mix of heavy and light parts are pretty defining to the bands you were asking about.

but about the interview im just curious what 3 songs kellin wasn't happy with from the new album
02:19 PM on 12/29/11
PengusNiugnep
I slept right through the good part
User Info.
Solid band & solid interview.
11:42 PM on 12/29/11
dan sings
Exactly, right!?
User Info.
these guys have the musical intensity i've been looking for :D
and they're one of the few Rise Records artists that aren't using autotune to hit high notes
05:54 AM on 12/30/11
xent
this is what separates me from you!
User Info.
i like the part when he explained the songs who are you now and especially, a trophy's fathers song. I always relate to that song
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests