I just plucked a random high number
07:51 AM on 12/29/11
BurymeWalkAway
User Info.
you people=good grief...
08:22 AM on 12/29/11
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I'm being a realist when I say this dude is an idiot.
08:34 AM on 12/29/11
camperfrequency
Troy and Abed in the Morning!
User Info.
I wonder what would happen if Dave Grohl did this.
09:39 AM on 12/29/11
Manufactured Dreams
Fabricated Revolution
User Info.
Seems really petty.
09:55 AM on 12/29/11
SincerelyMe
Long live the car crash hearts
User Info.
not to sound cynical, and I'm pretty far removed from this band myself but I just think this is one of the worst ways to promote your music I've ever seen. what happened to the love of playing? if his ep isn't #1 on itunes he's quitting punchline and the bass? first it sounds childish. second it's like any sportsplayer vowing to quit their sport if they don't win the championship AND league MVP, or any actor vowing this is their last movie if they don't get the academy award. stupid.

at least do something constructive like try to trend on twitter or something. that's marketing. threatening your fans that if they don't buy your music you're quitting is some sort of blackmail bullshit.

Well stated. I like Punchline. Good music, nice guys. I hope this EP does well, but if it doesn't and someone quits, they were in it for the wrong reasons.
10:07 AM on 12/29/11
TSLataris
Representin' the 514
User Info.
..... I'm pretty sure he's kidding.

Wow, somebody in here with a brain. Can't believe it took 3 pages of comments for someone to say this.
10:22 AM on 12/29/11
camperfrequency
Troy and Abed in the Morning!
User Info.
Or Thrice. It'd be a different story. "This band never gets the support they deserve! Let's take over the charts!"

If this isn't a joke, and if Chris is being serious, I'll never see the issue with setting a goal and leaving the band for not attaining that goal.

Right.
12:40 PM on 12/29/11
MattBurkePhoto
Photographer
User Info.
I don't know the band, but I'm buying a copy of this album because this is a damn ballsy move.
haha I like your style!
12:48 PM on 12/29/11
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
Or Thrice. It'd be a different story. "This band never gets the support they deserve! Let's take over the charts!"

If this isn't a joke, and if Chris is being serious, I'll never see the issue with setting a goal and leaving the band for not attaining that goal.
If he's serious, I wouldn't blame him. But still, to announce it like that? He could've just kept quiet and done it if the album didn't reach #1 instead of using it the way he is (potentially).
12:52 PM on 12/29/11
TSLataris
Representin' the 514
User Info.
Pretty sure everyone acknowledged this as a possible joke. Shouldn't/won't stop people from discussing the possibility of it being true.

I agree. It's just the manner in which people discuss it - with so much negaitivity towards the guy. I guess I can't blame them, though. Joke or not, it is a pretty radical statement.
01:04 PM on 12/29/11
Dustin Harkins
User Info.
I guess he figured an advance statement, this way he may have a shot to get to #1, which would be awesome for them being entirely independent and all. I just view it as a huge goal he set, and has enough faith in his fanbase to help him get it. Willing it's true.
I just think that, if it happens this time, it won't happen again. It may happen once, but he can't keep that going for continued releases, so what's the point of threatening for this one? It'll make sales peak, and then things will go back to the way they've always been. It doesn't seem like that's for anything but short-term attention. If it were about his career itself, he probably should've quit already just because he won't hit #1 for every album he releases from here doing this.
01:22 PM on 12/29/11
Dustin Harkins
User Info.
Probably because it'd be nice just so say you hit #1, at some point in your career
True. Just doesn't seem like he'd be hitting it with integrity. I mean, musically he definitely would, I'm sure. But if years from now, people wonder how it happen, and hear "Oh, he threatened to quit if they didn't," it makes it sound like a lot less of an accomplishment.
02:11 PM on 12/29/11
ICBIMTS
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I understand 15 years is a very extensive time to be in a band, but to be honest, I think this is a bitch move. Obviously punchline hasn't been able to be very successful with sales, while they do have a small fanbase. I know you can only do something for so long, but he should have communicated it in a different way than this. Because it's going to be awkward when it doesn't work, because I'm the only one I've ever met who has even heard of Punchline.
04:20 PM on 12/29/11
stevesoboslai
Punchline / Steve
User Info.
Hey everybody! Chris Fafalios here! I am on Steve's name because I forgot my password.
I am at our show in Pittsburgh tonight.
I didn't get to read all the responses, but basically Steve told me that a lot of people think I'm a real D*CKHEAD!!! I hope not everyone thinks that, because I try to be an all-around COOL MAN most of the time.

My intentions weren't to be whiny or anything like that, or "woe is me" about our band. I LOVE playing music and making these songs with my friends...it's my favorite thing to do in the world! However, I think with everything that's going on this week, I needed to light a fire under myself, my bandmates, and the people who like us. We don't have a big label, management, lawyers, etc., and we do everything ourselves. I wish we had a million dollars to promote our new EP on Tuesday, but we don't. We have to rely purely on people spreading the word. If I wasn't confident that these were our best songs ever, I wouldn't make this BOLD proclamation that I'm gonna quit playing the electric bass (which I love doing more than ANYTHING), but I felt like I needed to do something drastic to get people to check it out! And who knows, maybe me not playing the bass anymore won't affect anyone whatsoever, but so far lots of people have vowed their support in keeping my BASS DREAM alive!!!

I hope y'all don't hate me, and I really really hope I don't have to stop playing. But now I've made a vow, and I'm a man of my word. Now I just have to make sure that everyone I ever met in my life checks out our new songs on Tuesday, without anything but my computer and a phone. I am a poor man on a mission to compete with multi-millionaires!!!

I welcome your responses, but please don't call me a D*CKHEAD, it hurts my dang feelings.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums