AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Article - Page 14
Displaying posts 195 - 210 of 259.
03:57 PM on 12/29/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.
I dunno; I can't just listen to the same genre over and over again. I've gotta have some diversity, you know? Kudos to those who don't, but I think it's great when a listener can expand their music and can recognize that some talent exists in every genre.
04:04 PM on 12/29/11
eyedeas
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
for fucks sake. i know i'm not the only one that thinks Bon Iver is completely overhyped. I'll admit lyrically and musically the record is superb, but vocally it lands as well as me off a building. I feel the record would be leaps and bounds better if coupled with a contrasting, lower register vocal approach. Bon Iver's crooning over the cd makes it almost unbearable for me to listen to. but hey thats just my opinion. Its just frustrating seeing it at #1,2 on literally 90% of relevant EOTY lists. I'm convinced there's a hipster conspiracy going on

I really dug the Wonder Years record, but i can't help but feel its at that #2 spot simply because its one of the better pop-punk records to come out in a while

Transit's Listen and Forgive is a very well done record, but i feel the appeal is too small. If i was 16 however i think it might be my #1 by miles. Lyrically it can be very one dimensional

Very surprised Bombay Motorcycle Club, The Vaccines, & Touche Amore aren't on here. As well as Fleet Foxes

All in all i guess it could be worse, but as someone who's visited this website for the last 8-9yrs and always looks forward to this EOTY list, id be lying if i said i wasn't dissapointed

i still love you though ap.net
04:15 PM on 12/29/11
Dre Okorley
User Info.
This sort of statement makes me feel like there's should be an AP archetype with the list. People often forget that staffers are humans who genuinely care about a range of music and aren't bots who base their tastes solely on the one or two genres that the majority users on the site listen to.
04:53 PM on 12/29/11
kustykash
User Info.
No Saves the Day Daybreak and no Thursday No Devolucion?
04:58 PM on 12/29/11
cshadows2887
User Info.
I obviously get the sarcasm, but I'm not sure why people even react like this. Of course the list should be predictable. These are the bands that we spend the entire year posting news and opinions about. Put it like this...we covered that Wonder Years record for literally nine months, from when I debuted the first song through the entire year of them doing shenanigans and touring to support it. Yet, the #1 record on our list was an album that was covered for maybe a month, if you include the review, some posts about Bon Iver's television appearances, etc. It gives the list a good look to have a record like Bon Iver at #1, you know, because a pop-punk album just CAN'T be THAT good, but I don't really think it accurately represents what the site is about for 12 months of the year.

That's usually our goal in late December.

This statement is incredibly myopic and arrogant, even for you. What you mean to say is "These are the bands I spend the entire year posting news an opinions about." Which is true. But what about staffers like Eda, Kyle H., Broden, Dre, Drew B? While they might not all have had Bon Iver as high on their lists (Eda is pretty cool on the album), it's much more in line with the music THEY post about, diligently, all year than TWY, Transit or other pet bands of yours. Trivializing anything that doesn't fit your rubric is incredibly disrespectful to the work those staffers do (for which some of them already feel sadly underappreciated), not to mention comically ignorant of the expansion of tastes that has happened on this site in the last few years. Which is something bands you worship (The Horrible Crowes), have benefitted from, too, since they don't necessarily stand as poster boys for what the "ap sound" used to be. By basic logic, the #1 would have to be something that appeals across the spectrum of the staff, and thus is inherently representative of "what this site's about." And if you're not about a diversity of tastes and opinions outside of your own personal tastes, what the fuck are you doing as a music critic? For "12 months of the year" the staff on this site covers an increasingly broad range of music. Open your eyes.
05:21 PM on 12/29/11
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
I will say this was by far the best thing Bayside has ever done, but it's not even within sniffing distance of the best 100 albums to come out this year, let alone a shorter list.

Basically this. If it was released last year, it'd probably be top 5-10 material. This year, with the awesome releases we had, it MIGHT push into my top 50.
05:42 PM on 12/29/11
ÖzgürKurtoglu
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This statement is incredibly myopic and arrogant, even for you. What you mean to say is "These are the bands I spend the entire year posting news an opinions about." Which is true. But what about staffers like Eda, Kyle H., Broden, Dre, Drew B? While they might not all have had Bon Iver as high on their lists (Eda is pretty cool on the album), it's much more in line with the music THEY post about, diligently, all year than TWY, Transit or other pet bands of yours. Trivializing anything that doesn't fit your rubric is incredibly disrespectful to the work those staffers do (for which some of them already feel sadly underappreciated), not to mention comically ignorant of the expansion of tastes that has happened on this site in the last few years. Which is something bands you worship (The Horrible Crowes), have benefitted from, too, since they don't necessarily stand as poster boys for what the "ap sound" used to be. By basic logic, the #1 would have to be something that appeals across the spectrum of the staff, and thus is inherently representative of "what this site's about." And if you're not about a diversity of tastes and opinions outside of your own personal tastes, what the fuck are you doing as a music critic? For "12 months of the year" the staff on this site covers an increasingly broad range of music. Open your eyes.

Thank fuck you took the time to write this up, seriously. I was getting seriously fucking bummed out reading that other drivel...
05:45 PM on 12/29/11
Rob McWilliams
Eat your salad, no dessert
User Info.
This statement is incredibly myopic and arrogant, even for you. What you mean to say is "These are the bands I spend the entire year posting news an opinions about." Which is true. But what about staffers like Eda, Kyle H., Broden, Drew B? While they might not all have had Bon Iver as high on their lists (Eda is pretty cool on the album), it's much more in line with the music THEY post about, diligently, all year than TWY, Transit or other pet bands of yours. Trivializing anything that doesn't fit your rubric is incredibly disrespectful to the work those staffers do (for which some of them already feel sadly underappreciated), not to mention comically ignorant of the expansion of tastes that has happened on this site in the last few years. Which is something bands you worship (The Horrible Crowes), have benefitted from, too, since they don't necessarily stand as poster boys for what the "ap sound" used to be. By basic logic, the #1 would have to be something that appeals across the spectrum of the staff, and thus is inherently representative of "what this site's about." And if you're not about a diversity of tastes and opinions outside of your own personal tastes, what the fuck are you doing as a music critic? For "12 months of the year" the staff on this site covers an increasingly broad range of music. Open your eyes.

A+ statement.
05:52 PM on 12/29/11
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
05:53 PM on 12/29/11
JJW319
last.fm/user/JJW319
User Info.
05:56 PM on 12/29/11
Numero10
No al calcio moderno
User Info.
Chris knows what's up
06:02 PM on 12/29/11
Steve Alcala
"Counting Fish"
User Info.
This statement is incredibly myopic and arrogant, even for you. What you mean to say is "These are the bands I spend the entire year posting news an opinions about." Which is true. But what about staffers like Eda, Kyle H., Broden, Drew B? While they might not all have had Bon Iver as high on their lists (Eda is pretty cool on the album), it's much more in line with the music THEY post about, diligently, all year than TWY, Transit or other pet bands of yours. Trivializing anything that doesn't fit your rubric is incredibly disrespectful to the work those staffers do (for which some of them already feel sadly underappreciated), not to mention comically ignorant of the expansion of tastes that has happened on this site in the last few years. Which is something bands you worship (The Horrible Crowes), have benefitted from, too, since they don't necessarily stand as poster boys for what the "ap sound" used to be. By basic logic, the #1 would have to be something that appeals across the spectrum of the staff, and thus is inherently representative of "what this site's about." And if you're not about a diversity of tastes and opinions outside of your own personal tastes, what the fuck are you doing as a music critic? For "12 months of the year" the staff on this site covers an increasingly broad range of music. Open your eyes.
You're amazing.
06:03 PM on 12/29/11
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
Very surprised Bombay Motorcycle Club, The Vaccines, & Touche Amore aren't on here. As well as Fleet Foxes
Bombay Bicycle Club*

A couple of those albums and bands got love in my list if you end up checking out the individual staff lists, though.
06:19 PM on 12/29/11
raychull
User Info.
Chris knows what's up.

edit: somebody already said that. but i'll reiterate.
07:21 PM on 12/29/11
lovemetal24
User Info.
seriously, saves the day has to be in the top 5? there is no way you can say that the transit record is better???
Options

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version