AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Record Sales News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

SoundScan 2011 Year-End Charts

Posted by - 10:46 PM on 01/04/12
According to SoundScan 2011 Year-End Charts, these are the top 50 rock albums of the year in sales. Mumford & Sons' Sigh No More was the top-selling record with around 1.4 million copies sold.

Submitted by fran.182

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 93
10:49 PM on 01/04/12
chcougar1
User Info.
I'm surprised mumford and sons was number one. Good for them though. Also, I didn't realize some of these bands still existed, like evanesence.
10:53 PM on 01/04/12
danman
is looking at you, kid.
User Info.
It's sad that only the top album was able to sell over a million copies.
10:53 PM on 01/04/12
marsvoltamcr
Registered Member
User Info.
not a big fan of them, but I'm more than okay with them being the best selling rock artist. definitely better than most radio rock.
10:55 PM on 01/04/12
Manufactured Dreams
Fabricated Revolution
User Info.
Happy that FTP are in the top 5 and that Panic is on the list.
11:04 PM on 01/04/12
djsclaus
www.brandonmarshall.net
User Info.
very surprised Mumford and Sons topped Coldplay & Foo Fighters
11:15 PM on 01/04/12
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
User Info.
Lol at Aaron Lewis being considered rock.
11:27 PM on 01/04/12
reid
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It's sad that only the top album was able to sell over a million copies.
and that record came out in 2010 :)

but if you've seen the weekly soundscans, it was selling really well all year.
11:30 PM on 01/04/12
Gaugzilla
and one head can never die
User Info.
Man, that list bums me out. Foo Fighters and Beasties couldn't even break a million? Blink is just about halfway to Gold. Absolutely nuts. Rock truly is the worst genre to even think about going into.
11:43 PM on 01/04/12
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
and that record came out in 2010 :)

but if you've seen the weekly soundscans, it was selling really well all year.
It cam out October Second 2009. A two year old album outsold everything else. That's just some depressing stuff. (not that people bout Mumford and Sons, while not a personal favorite I still see why people like it, just that four bands - Nickelback, Coldplay and Foo Fighters (arguably the three biggest current rock bands) and Foster the People (spurred by a crossover hit) managed to sell half a million copies during the whole year (Born This way sold over a million in a *week*) )
11:53 PM on 01/04/12
fuckyourscenes
www.fuckyourscenes.com
User Info.
It cam out October Second 2009. A two year old album outsold everything else. That's just some depressing stuff. (not that people bout Mumford and Sons, while not a personal favorite I still see why people like it, just that four bands - Nickelback, Coldplay and Foo Fighters (arguably the three biggest current rock bands) and Foster the People (spurred by a crossover hit) managed to sell half a million copies during the whole year (Born This way sold over a million in a *week*) )
Nickelback just put out their album in what...November? Give them time to break it out.
11:56 PM on 01/04/12
fuckyourscenes
www.fuckyourscenes.com
User Info.
Also, really happy for Florence and Bon Iver, but seriously...the fucking Twilight soundtrack is #10?

Bon Jovi's greatest hits is #15? A greatest hits that has most-likely been done a couple times already by the label.

And ew...Hollywood Undead.
11:57 PM on 01/04/12
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
I can't wait until they release their next album so it can stop being wrongly featured in annual awards shows, polls etc. It's well over 2 years old, yet has won best album during that period well out of it's release year. Good for them...not their fault, but it's annoying in terms of any acknowledgements it gets now.
12:20 AM on 01/05/12
slimfenix182
Registered Member
User Info.
wow, what a depressing list. guess I'm one of the few who still buy rock music lol. even accounting for lower album sales, looks like Linkin Park officially bombed. I mean back in the day, Senses Fail's EP sold more than that. staggering really, the drop-off in sales, rock really has gotten nailed, pop and rap less so.
12:30 AM on 01/05/12
InfiniteArms
#MusicWorship
User Info.
2 Things surprise me about that list.

First thing is, Coldplay released their album in October and still managed to take Number 2 rising above Foo Fighters who released their album in April and In my opinion Foo Fighters released the better album.

Second thing is, The gap between Foo Fighters and Coldplay is surprising, again, considering when they were both released. It's almost 30,000 sales.

On second thought, this list doesn't surprise me at all. It's actually a little depressing.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos