Username
Password
General Announcement News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
General Announcement
Inside AP.net

Do Music Critics Matter?

Posted by: Thomas Nassiff (01/11/12)
I read this interesting tidbit on Digital Music News about whether music critics really matter. It's so easy to listen to music these days, not many of us treat reviews with a make-or-break attitude. I remember being in like the ninth grade and reading a review in Alternative Press about The Treaty of Paris, then downloading their record on Limewire just because of the review. How much do you still care about a reviewer's opinion? Does it depend on the website? On the specific reviewer?

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 152
09:36 AM on 01/11/12
schlotty
See you later, Joben!
User Info.
I think reviews still matter. I never would've listened to Elsie or Bon Iver if I hadn't read the reviews of those albums on here.
09:38 AM on 01/11/12
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
I think reviews matter in the sense that the more buzz I see around a new/young band, the more of a chance I'll listen to them whether the review is positive or negative
09:39 AM on 01/11/12
Meeze
PunkOut.org
User Info.
Album reviews have become less of a determinant and more of an advertising tool. There is so much music out there that music reviewers are more tour guides of a scene rather than judges.
09:39 AM on 01/11/12
JoeSledger
Registered Member
User Info.
When the website or magazine seems to give high scores to specific genres & low scores to others, I perceive a clear bias & say screw the review. Then there are other websites that give everything a high score to gain promotion (facebook likes, tweets) from the artist, label, & pr. "Mainstream Killed the Indie Star" has the most legit reviews I've seen thus far.
09:40 AM on 01/11/12
JoeSledger
Registered Member
User Info.
I think reviews matter in the sense that the more buzz I see around a new/young band, the more of a chance I'll listen to them whether the review is positive or negative

Nah, I see it as "paid" advertisement.
09:41 AM on 01/11/12
Zack Zarrillo
User Info.
Nah, I see it as "paid" advertisement.
Paid in what sense? We do it for free
downrightamazed
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"then downloading their record on Limewire just because of the review"

Am I a thousand years old? That's what it feels like. Also, am I crazy? You can remember an instance of your reading something and then DOWNLOADING A RECORD WITHOUT PAYING FOR IT. Am I crazy?

Also, no, critics never mattered. It's one of the few fields where you get to talk like you're an expert about things you know absolutely nothing about from an outsiders point of view while resting on the laurels of "being cool".

They're the original "bloggers" - and I mean that in the worst possible way.
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
User Info.
I think it does to a degree. A collective buzz around an artist will certainly give me the reason to check them out. In a sense, this is how reviews matter. However, it seems to be in a collective sense. If an established band that I like gets a bad review, I'm not going to be deterred from listening to the album though.
09:42 AM on 01/11/12
downrightamazed
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Paid in what sense? We do it for free

Free is the word, :) *chuckles*.
I think the poster is over 15 and is therefore actually talking about actual product. You get a free record, well in advance.
09:44 AM on 01/11/12
njdevils327
You know Craigslist? That's my list
User Info.

Am I a thousand years old? That's what it feels like. Also, am I crazy? You can remember an instance of your reading something and then DOWNLOADING A RECORD WITHOUT PAYING FOR IT. Am I crazy?

Also, no, critics never mattered. It's one of the few fields where you get to talk like you're an expert about things you know absolutely nothing about from an outsiders point of view while resting on the laurels of "being cool".

Everything the opposite of this guy said.

Fuck off

09:48 AM on 01/11/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
I trust people, not publications. I know the writers whose taste I align with - and I'll follow their recommendations and reviews and thoughts on music.

BrandWebsiteX saying something is good means nothing to me.

Joe Smith who has a similar taste as me, I will follow and care about.

Those people help tune in the signal through the noise.
09:48 AM on 01/11/12
Meeze
PunkOut.org
User Info.
Free is the word, :) *chuckles*.
I think the poster is over 15 and is therefore actually talking about actual product. You get a free record, well in advance.
This makes no sense.
09:49 AM on 01/11/12
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
On the macro scale, critics and their reviews obviously don't matter to large level record sales. I don't think there was much crossover between Pitchfork or RS top 10 and top 10 in albums sales. I may be wrong here but I can't check on mobile.
09:49 AM on 01/11/12
Ryan Dennehy

Based on your post, I'd say you're doing this exact same thing.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests