AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Myspace News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

All the Good Band Names Are Taken.

Posted by - 11:26 AM on 01/13/12
The Wall Street Journal believes that all the good band names are taken. And it's myspace's fault.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 60
11:29 AM on 01/13/12
HeavenResign
Registered Member
User Info.
Quote:
"A band name should pass the taxi-driver test: You shouldn't have to tell him twice,"

All I thought of when hearing that is "The World Is A Beautiful Place And I Am No Longer Afraid To Die".
11:30 AM on 01/13/12
iAMhollyood315
Rest is for the dead
User Info.
what does if matter if certain name are taken if they're no name bands that haven't gotten anywhere.. It should all be free game until someone makes a name for themselves or gets endorsements, management or record deal.
11:30 AM on 01/13/12
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
User Info.
None are as good as Mrs. Potato Dick though...
11:33 AM on 01/13/12
Mr.Piano93
I hate my username.
User Info.
what does if matter if certain name are taken if they're no name bands that haven't gotten anywhere.. It should all be free game until someone makes a name for themselves or gets endorsements, management or record deal.

Definitely agree.
11:33 AM on 01/13/12
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
Meh.
11:35 AM on 01/13/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
From the article:

Quote:
Lawyers say that has raised the stakes in trademark disputes, which almost always hinge on which band first used the name commercially, and where.

"If 37 people in California logged on to your MySpace page last month, you can argue that you provide goods or services in California," even if you're a Connecticut band who hasn't released an album or toured out of state, says Atlanta lawyer Joel R. Feldman of Greenberg Traurig LLP.
11:39 AM on 01/13/12
jdr277
I got a lion in my pocket I'm lying
User Info.
Na that's lazy. They're are good band names left like, "I Got Jumped On a Trampoline," and "Pretty Purple Pussy Poppers" you know stuff like that.
11:39 AM on 01/13/12
Bloodsucker II
ExcuuUUuuse ME, princess!
User Info.
I have a great band name. But it's a secret.....in case I ever am in a band
11:42 AM on 01/13/12
irthesteve
All that wander are not lost
User Info.
Infinite number of good band names left. Bands just need to spend a little time thinking of one
11:43 AM on 01/13/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
Andy: The band has had a few different names over the years. When we started, we were Teddy Bear Suicide, but then we changed it to Mouse Rat. Then we were God Hates Figs, Department of Homeland Obscurity, Flames for Flames, Muscle Confusion, Nothing Rhymes With Orange, then Everything Rhymes With Orange, Punch Face Champions, Rad Wagon, Puppy Pendulum, Possum Pendulum, Penis Pendulum, Handrail Suicide, Angel Snack, Just the Tip, Threeskin... [long pause] Oh, Jet Black Pope. We went back to Mouse Rat, and now we are Scarecrow Boat. God, when I hear myself say Scarecrow Boat out loud I kinda hate it...
11:44 AM on 01/13/12
Davey_Owens
User Info.
There's still a plethora of words you can scramble in with words like "Black" or "Heart" and form a sweet band name.
11:44 AM on 01/13/12
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
I don't get why bands would get upset about other bands having the same name. As long as its not done trying to capitlize on the other bands success just let it be. What are people going to get upset at next, the fact that someone wrote a song with the same name as you?
11:46 AM on 01/13/12
.dot
behance.net/jordanhaenlein
User Info.
What a dumb article. Doesn't The Wall Street Journal have better things to talk about?
11:51 AM on 01/13/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
I don't get why bands would get upset about other bands having the same name. As long as its not done trying to capitlize on the other bands success just let it be. What are people going to get upset at next, the fact that someone wrote a song with the same name as you?
It could get quite confusing ... a band's name is meant to identify them. If there are 6 different bands with the same name, this gets even more difficult.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos