AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Greeley Estates - Go West Young Man, Let the... Album Cover

Greeley Estates - Go West Young Man, Let the...

Reviewed by
Greeley Estates - Go West Young Man, Let the Evil Go East
Record Label: Science Records
Release Date: May 6, 2008
I hear people all the time saying how screamo is nothing anymore; that it's a dying genre. Most of the time, I agree with it (depending on which band is being discussed). A lot of the bands around today don't have anything worth writing home about. They all have the same old growls, the same vocals, the same lyrics and the same beats. I was pleasantly surprised when Greeley Estates, one of my favorite post-hardcore bands, reassured my faith in the screamo genre with their newest release, Go West Young Man, Let the Evil Go East.

Don't get me wrong: I loved the band's last album, Far From the Lies, but this release far surpasses it. Greeley Estates have come back with a harder, faster and overall more powerful album. Don't worry, you'll still find sung vocals, but overall the album is much harder than Far From the Lies. In the first track alone ("Blue Morning") you hear how drastic the change is. Starting out with screamed lines, which shift to urgent singing, then gang vocals, and finally a brutal breakdown, this first track gives a great indication of what's to come. "If Weíre Going Out, Let's Go Out in Style" is a great track, the beat of which instantly makes one want to begin moving and shaking. Fast-paced and powerful, "Desperate Times Call for Desperate Housewives," is one of my favorites. Every track on the album has its own appeal, and each one is great, but the tracks near the middle of the album may begin to meld together. They come back strong with "Let the Evil Go East," and donít disappoint again. "Iíll Have to Warn You, This Wonít Be Easy" has an especially appealing little technical break-out. I could list every song on this album and have something to say about each of them, but for the sake of length Iíll leave you with whatís above.

Ryan Zimmerman does an excellent job vocally in this record; he is one of the few people who has a scream and a singing voice that fit together perfectly. He can shift seamlessly from his commanding scream to his haunting singing. Zimmermanís vocals are really one of the defining factors separating Greeley from every mediocre screamo or hardcore act.

The lyrics found on the band's latest offering also far surpass those of many other bands in their genre. This isn't a concept album, but seems to have a common theme weaving throughout. Many of the lyrics deal with problems in the world today; while they may not be writing cheeky one-liners or enigmatic metaphors, they construct meaningful and intelligent lyrics. They know how to keep if fun while proving a point though, for example on "Desperate Times Calls for Desperate Housewives" Zimmerman says, "Yeah, this is a hold up / So listen up while I wave my gun / Be patient Ďcause Iím really new at this." However, there are also more serious songs. "In the Ashes," for example, carries the lines "Iím not sure if we could ever seek forgiveness / When all I feel is the weight of my sin." "Iíll Have to Warn You, But This Won't Be Easy" is a song about someone seeking revenge for a lost lover, and the lyrics are especially potent. Overall, Greeley Estates can be fun when they want to, but when trying to make a point, they do it well.

As hard as I try to write short and to-the-point reviews, when I really enjoy a CD, I find it rather difficult. This is an excellent album, and worth checking out if you enjoy screamo, hardcore or post-hardcore. I'll admit it is not for everyone as many people find screamo and hardcore rather offensive. However, love it or hate it, there's one thing you have to admit: screamo is still a viable genre and Greeley Estates are the proof.

Recommended if You Like Blessthefall, Alesana, Drop Dead Gorgeous' In Vogue

myspace.com/greeleyestates
This review is a user submitted review from Klatzke. You can see all of Klatzke's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
06:40 AM on 06/11/08
valoo
User Info.
love it
07:40 AM on 06/11/08
meghanlail
Do you know what stars are?
User Info.
Good review...I love Greeley Estates.
I've talk to Telle every once in a while and he's such a nice dude.
I'll have to check this out!
08:18 AM on 06/11/08
Young Machetes
Wasteland Explorer
User Info.
Good review, Great cd. But for sake of this band's credibility, I wouldn't compare it to Alesana. Drop Dead, Gorgeous has a lot of similiar characteristics though.
09:46 AM on 06/11/08
hxchairstylist
Hair on Mars
User Info.
I love this cd, and I agree that it actually offers something fresh for the screamo/post-hardcore genre.
02:14 PM on 06/11/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
Good review, Great cd. But for sake of this band's credibility, I wouldn't compare it to Alesana. Drop Dead, Gorgeous has a lot of similiar characteristics though.
I see waht you mean though, but its a "RIYL" not "Sounds like" and i think it kinda fits.
04:43 PM on 06/29/08
kigginsthisprov
themichaelkiggins.tumblr. com
User Info.
I might just buy this CD
09:38 PM on 06/29/08
meghanlail
Do you know what stars are?
User Info.
Ok, easily on my top 10 of 2008.

If you haven't heard this...do so immediately.
03:37 PM on 07/10/08
myhearturhands
The spaceman that can't get high.
User Info.
i love this album lots nice review
06:47 PM on 01/13/09
the daniel
Colors
User Info.
i thought this was a great review, i've seen Greeley open for August Burns Red and thought that they put up a mighty fine act. i finally decided to check out "Go West" and i couldn't say it better myself. but i really think "Go West" sounds more like Worse Than a Fairy Tale than In Vogue. but then again, that's just me.
07:58 PM on 06/15/11
Zev Frazer
Zev Frazer
User Info.
enjoy

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT