Username
Password
Band Break-Up News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Band Break-Up
Inside AP.net

Lookout! Records Closes Their Doors

Posted by: Jason Tate (01/14/12)
Seminal 90's pop-punk/indie rock label, Lookout! Records is shutting its doors. In a recent blog post, Ted Leo made the informal announcement.
From the BlogIíve been getting a lot of Twitter questions about why a bunch of my records have disappeared from all the digital services (Sportify, iDudes, Mandora, etc.). Itís because our beloved Lookout Records, which ceased releasing new material in 2006, but carried on keeping the catalog in print until this past December, has, sadly, shuttered itís windows for good.

A better eulogy should be forthcoming, but just to answer these questions, this means that these records have reverted to my complete ownership, which is kind of cool in some ways, I guess, except that it also means I have to basically run my own label for them now unless I wind up licensing them to someone else in the future. In the immediate, I have to go through some legal stuff with the digital services to get the records back up online, and Iím hoping to have that all taken care of very soon. Physical records are now officially out of print and will likely not be repressed for a while (but Iím sure Iíll get around to it eventually). I do have a bunch of stock laying around with no plans to tour for quite a while, so if thereís interest, maybe Iíll set up a web-store so you can buy direct from me if you want. Please feel free to email or tweet me with ideas for that. All entertaining ideas will be entertained!

And thank you, seriously, for giving a crap. Iím not happy to see Lookout gone, but having complete rights of usage and total and direct revenue from sales now, can ultimately turn this into a positive situation. I just have to get creative about it. Might try to bang one out more specialTyranny of Distance event before the 10th anniversary year is over this springÖ

Submitted by AP_Punk

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 40
03:43 PM on 01/14/12
Mikey Paine
AP.net's registered Fullonrapist
User Info.
bummer.
03:46 PM on 01/14/12
RyanFTW
ATTACK POP PUNK
User Info.
Legendary punk label. RIP
03:56 PM on 01/14/12
Sloth7
Kitton Mittons
User Info.
Shame. What a great label back in the day.
04:09 PM on 01/14/12
underthetalking
La Marea Roja
User Info.
Bummer. Bought a lot of stuff from these guys back in the day.
04:18 PM on 01/14/12
AP_Punk
Anarchist Cat Owner
User Info.
while it was home to many great acts/releases, that whole "not paying bands" thing sucked. regardless of that, it's a bummer to see this come to an official close. hopefully, now that rights have been reverted back to the original artists, we'll see some nice, fancy re-presses of old releases.

and for those interested, here's a lengthy, good read of the label's history: the rise and fall of lookout!
04:29 PM on 01/14/12
StephenYoung
dumb
User Info.
One of the best labels in the '80s and '90s, anyone who listens to pop punk needs to give their catalogue a good listen.
04:37 PM on 01/14/12
IndieKid!
The Registered User
User Info.
No idea who this label is/who they had signed, anyone notable?

Shame though.
04:45 PM on 01/14/12
fowruok
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

Shame though.
Some of their notables have included Alkaline Trio, The Donnas, Fuel, Green Day, Operation Ivy, Rancid, Screeching Weasel & Ted Leo and the Pharmacists.
04:48 PM on 01/14/12
owenslugworth
User Info.
Really? Green day was on their label from 89-94
05:08 PM on 01/14/12
Dan CiTi
To Let The World Be
User Info.

Shame though.
wow you're so indie!
05:42 PM on 01/14/12
Big_Guy
Idle Will Kill
User Info.
Who the fuck hasnt heard of lookout? Jesus, Im only 23 and I feel old as shit
05:43 PM on 01/14/12
Big_Guy
Idle Will Kill
User Info.
Some of their notables have included Alkaline Trio, The Donnas, Fuel, Green Day, Operation Ivy, Rancid, Screeching Weasel & Ted Leo and the Pharmacists.

Didnt know Fuel was that popular of a band. If you like Hot Water Music check their album out. It's great
05:46 PM on 01/14/12
RyanFTW
ATTACK POP PUNK
User Info.
wow you're so indie!
I feel bad for the kid. Making fun of him would be too easy.
06:02 PM on 01/14/12
Russ Hockenbury
with special guest
User Info.
The Reputation - To Force A Fate
Communique - Poison Arrows

Two of my favorite albums.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates