AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Company We Keep, The - 1.19.12

Company We Keep, The - 1.19.12

Interviewed by
Company We Keep, The - 1.19.12When the band promos of The Company We Keep went online, we saw a few familiar faces in Brian Southall of The Receiving End Of Sirens, Justin Pierre from Motion City Soundtrack, and Branden Morgan of Misery Signals. In front of the three recognizable was a dark-haired beauty that didn't ring any bells. I had the chance to talk to that girl, and it turns out Amy Brennan is more fun than those mysterious black and white photos made her out to be.

Your bandmates have quite the combined resume; MCS, TREOS, Misery Signals… and Amy Brennan! Tell us about yourself, rookie.

Oh man, right on the spot...there's not much to tell. I'm a singer/songwriter living in Detroit and have been singing my whole life. I taught myself guitar a few years ago and fell in love with songwriting. I was terribly shy to perform so I always wanted a band and just never found one that stuck. Eventually I had no choice but to try to do it on my own and then TCWK fell into my lap and here I am.

Where online can we hear you sing? Do your old bands have MySpaces we can stalk?

There isn't any music online of my old bands, they have new singers or new bands. As you found, my little brother did secretly make me a YouTube channel months ago, but any videos or fun shenanigans I do are usually found on Facebook.

How’d you get hooked up with these fine gentleman?

It's actually just a small world. I was working on an acoustic album of my own and happened to meet Brian as I was going into a session. We found we have alot of mutual friends and eventually after keeping in touch for awhile he asked me to audition for this project.

How does TCWK’s music compare to your past tunes? Or your bandmates’ old bands?

TCWK is just...so much more of who I am, but I didn't know it yet. You know? I can already tell you most people who know me and see me everyday will be surprised. As far as my old music...it's much different since I write on an acoustic guitar. I love folky, poppy, acoustic everything.

Are you and Justin sharing the vocal spotlight, a la his last side-project, Farewell Continental?

I don't know, are we? :) Haha i'm just messing... I'm the only singer of this band.

Is there a timetable for the record’s release? When will we get to hear some music?

As far as a release goes, I'm not able to currently discuss it but we hope some information will be released soon.

Any touring plans? South by Southwest maybe?

We are planning a small tour to and from SXSW and will have all the details up as soon as we can release them.

Anything you’d like to add?

Keep fighting <3

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
09:56 AM on 01/26/12
tyler2tall147
Awesome
User Info.
Weird that Justin isn't singing. I'll still listen, and probably check them out live if they tour all over MN like Farewell Continental does.
10:25 AM on 01/26/12
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
Haven't heard her sing yet, I'll check it out later. Hopefully it's good enough to justify no Justin vocals. Will he be writing any lyrics for this?
10:39 AM on 01/26/12
fanberlinboy
Having trouble inside my skin...
User Info.
She has quite the voice. Anyone know what the music is going to sound like for this band?
10:54 AM on 01/26/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Haven't heard her sing yet, I'll check it out later. Hopefully it's good enough to justify no Justin vocals. Will he be writing any lyrics for this?
She's outrageously talented on vocals. Like, outrageously.

No clue on the lyrics.
11:19 AM on 01/26/12
ZachMadeMeOdd
<("<) ^( " )^ (>")>
User Info.
Who from MisSigs is in this and what are they playing?
11:27 AM on 01/26/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Who from MisSigs is in this and what are they playing?
Branden, drums.
11:46 AM on 01/26/12
jcpmcs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
So far, my contribution has been the lyrics and melody, with a tiny bit of obnoxious guitar playing. I really wanted to be in a band(I use the term IN A BAND very loosely) where I didn't have the responsibility of singing so that I could just rock out. But mainly I'm a behind the scenes type guy. Most likely I will be like Mr. Brett Gurewitz of Bad Religion. I'll play shows here and there when Motion City Soundtrack's Schedule works out with The Company We Keep's schedule. Trust me, Amy can wail and my voice would have just gotten in the way. As an artist, you always try to do new things and this is a side of me that I haven't yet been able to explore. I'm grateful to Brian for giving me a chance to collaborate with him. This shit is intense.
11:51 AM on 01/26/12
Napzz
User Info.
meh...just got less excited
11:58 AM on 01/26/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
meh...just got less excited
This is not the correct emotion.
12:10 PM on 01/26/12
Napzz
User Info.
This is not the correct emotion.
haha I'm just kidding. I'll give it a proper spin when it comes out.
12:27 PM on 01/26/12
trojanick
they all got boyfriends anyway
User Info.
^Someone should give Justin a blue name already.

Excited for this, everything Justin touches is gold.
12:35 PM on 01/26/12
njdevils327
You know Craigslist? That's my list
User Info.
Justin doesnt have a blue name? really?
12:40 PM on 01/26/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'll have to check them out. Are they from california?
Justin doesnt have a blue name? really?

Haha, was my first reaction as well. But it's only his second post ever!
02:16 PM on 01/26/12
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
Justin's lyrics and melody are enough to get me excited. If the girl can sing I'm all for it, I have Motion City to hear Justin.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos