Username
Password
Say Anything News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Say Anything
Inside AP.net

Max Bemis Interviewed by Spin Magazine

Posted by: Jason Tate (02/04/12)
Spin has interviewed Max Bemis of Say Anything about the band's new album.
From the InterviewChanging labels did have a lot of the do with the creative process, with feeling like I could really put my heart and soul into something without straining it or having to be something to somebody because being on an independent label seeing us for exactly what we are. There was a little less pressure to be something that was more mass consumption-ready.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 62
12:23 PM on 02/04/12
t.web4
Gone
User Info.
I love that man.
12:30 PM on 02/04/12
Shatter_Glass
Take Apart Your Head
User Info.
Max should hire Chris Shiflet from Foo's to play on the next rock record. would actually be amazing.

Ps. Max I'm waiting for the street date release. Something about buying SA cds and rocking them in the car sight unseen that's o-so appealing. :)
12:30 PM on 02/04/12
TenSpeed
User Info.
^not more than me.
12:31 PM on 02/04/12
BigAl
Here, have a sword.
User Info.
I can't wait to see these guys in Montreal.
12:44 PM on 02/04/12
DevinDomino
FUCKyeah
User Info.
Great interview. Max seems so self-aware of himself and the band, it's incredible.
12:56 PM on 02/04/12
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
I love that he credits Larry David and Woody Allen as major influences on his writing.
12:57 PM on 02/04/12
LastDeclaration
mmm tasty
User Info.
all the press around this album is portraying it as this intense, angry rawk record, but that really only applies to three of the songs (conicidentally the three best songs). how does "so good" have anything to do with the anarchy shit he was talking about? i wish the description was more accurate - it would have been a killer album if he'd written all the songs in that style.
01:35 PM on 02/04/12
IndieKid!
The Registered User
User Info.
Last album he said all these wonderful things about it being his best, then he came out and put it down and the next one is going to be better, yet I like all previous albums better than this...

... the lyrics aren't as solid and the actual music isn't as varied or interesting, as far as my opinion can hear.
01:41 PM on 02/04/12
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
User Info.
I love that he credits Larry David and Woody Allen as major influences on his writing.
Neurotic Jews FTW!
01:58 PM on 02/04/12
brook183
@brooks_an
User Info.
Intro paragraph sucks.
02:23 PM on 02/04/12
darkblue_
User Info.
i'd love to hear the record they heard. a lot of fibbing.
02:31 PM on 02/04/12
luvsickcatalyst
wander eyes, ocean high.
User Info.
i'd love to hear the record they heard. a lot of fibbing.
I unfortunately agree with this. The hype versus the actual record is a huge letdown imo...first SA record I have not enjoyed at all.
02:44 PM on 02/04/12
Mistle
User Info.
I love the album (for different reasons than I originally fell in love with the band, however), but I'm still so confused why Max is marketing this album as a big loud, anthemic, punk record. There are a few songs that fit the bill, but otherwise he's pretty much setting people up for disappointment.

I mean, if he came out and said "it's a mostly a fun, mid-tempo jam record, with a few hard-hitting songs" then he'd put everybody's expectations in the right place and possibly gain more fans of the album. My major gripe with this album was the surprise upon first listen of it NOT being anything like described.

But I guess you have to build hype for the record any way you can.
03:07 PM on 02/04/12
Mattylikesfilms
If You Dig Up The Dead...
User Info.
I'm still so confused why Max is marketing this album as a big loud, anthemic, punk record. There are a few songs that fit the bill, but otherwise he's pretty much setting people up for disappointment.

I mean, if he came out and said "it's a mostly a fun, mid-tempo jam record, with a few hard-hitting songs" then he'd put everybody's expectations in the right place and possibly gain more fans of the album. My major gripe with this album was the surprise upon first listen of it NOT being anything like described.

But I guess you have to build hype for the record any way you can.

This.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News